Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 08:45 PM

10 posts, read 29,151 times

Advertisements

Hey, I'd really appreciate some input from more experienced people on how to shorten, format, and improve my mfg. resume. The issue is that I've only had one real job for a year and 3 months now, but I've accomplished a lot there and want to show off. I started out as a temp at the bottom of a small locknut manufacturer, got hired and now I'm in management. So I'm not sure if a chronological format is the best choice since I have one thing to show off. Or two, because I worked 4 months for a staffing agency assigned to my company, then a year as a real employee at the same company.

I still work for that company currently, and at this job I wear many hats but mainly I run the Inventory system and I run the tapping dept. (setup, fix, manage). When the plant manager is out I am the de facto leader. So I am looking to apply for both Inventory positions and mfg setup/managing positions and when I send out this resume I'll prioritize the bullet points that match each respective position.

Basically I put everything I can think of on there and I'm trying to cut it down to one page, but I lack the experience to know if certain bullet points are unnecessary. I will probably remove my very first job as an undergrad apprentice for my school unless the position is related in any way. I don't know if the Tech. Skills section is necessary. And I don't know if I should merge my time at the staffing agency with that of the shop. I live in the midwest but I'm looking to work in either north dakota or texas boomtowns for $18 or more an hour. In manufacturing, not oilfields; boomtowns need production too. I would work anywhere else for that pay but I don't expect it outside of a boomtown.

Here is my resume: http://www.scribd.com/doc/221323404/Anon-Resume
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 09:21 PM

29,856 posts, read 24,975,730 times
Please post your resume on here for critique instead of a link. Be sure to leave off any sensitive personal information.

What skills have you acquired? Those will determine your rank and pay far more than experience. Do you have any samples available of your work, to highlight what you are capable of doing? What exactly do you plan to "show off"?

It sounds like you are interested in a supervisor type position. In just about every setting, a supervisor must possess an exceptional level of understanding regarding all facets of their work. Supervisors are usually directly involved with the work they are overseeing, not just barking orders. Furthermore, they should be able to solve unique problem with ease, or better yet, anticipate future problems before they actually become problems. Can you say this about yourself? Could you provide examples during a job interview?

As for $18/hr... For sitting in front of a machine and watching it spit parts? Not going to happen in most places. Maybe $10/hr. Production isn't a bad place to start out. Most work environments are low paying and highly repetitious though, unless you're doing short runs in sectors like aerospace or medical. The jobs just don't require much thinking, so pretty much anyone can prevail.

I'm sure you have improved over the past year. To give you an idea of what you're up against though... I worked for a production shop about 4 years ago in their swiss turning dept. Illegals were doing every one of those jobs you described. The illegals with more seniority became dept heads. Temp agencies supply the production shops with illegals for exactly minimum wage, and not a penny more. OTOH, skilled workers were all either American or European. We all spoke English to one another, and made 20 bucks an hour on up. Didn't matter if you were running a 60 year old CAM machine, or programming some ultra modern robotic thingamajig. If the supply is limited, the companies will pay.

Invest some time picking up some skills, and worry less about proper resume format.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:28 AM

My Name
My Info • Info • Info • Info

SUMMARY

Dedicated assistant management professional with experience in fast-paced, complex manufacturing environments. Demonstrated ability to lead, organize, improve, plan, and find solutions.

CORE COMPETENCIES

Inventory Control Resource Management Process Efficiency

Team Leadership Organizational Awareness Project Planning

Communication Problem Solving & Analysis Practical Judgment

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE

Company A, Location 05/2013 ̶Present

Inventory Control; Tapping Dept. Lead

Updated and maintained accuracy of company inventory daily in Quickbooks.

Setup, maintenance, quality control for 5 production tapping machines.

Directly trained and supervised 2-3 operators and 1 process technician. Involved in the hiring process for these positions. Responsible for managing dept. resources, efficient material flow, meeting weekly production goals and minimizing downtime.

Saved the company $2,011 by learning CNC mill operation to run a hot custom order in-house instead of farming it out. Finished the job faster as well.

Saved the company $360 per month by eliminating the worst job in the shop: separating machined parts from metal chips by hand for up to 3 hours daily. Retrofitted the tumbler with different size screens to do the job so the laborer could do more valuable tasks.

Increased average production on the automated tapping machine to 1500/day from 1300/day by studying its complex operation and reducing frequent errors.

Reduced inaccuracies in the Quickbooks company inventory by 50% from the previous year after 6 months on the job. Further increased accuracy by creating a system to track scrap and subtract it from the inventory.

Prevented potentially catastrophic mix-ups of near-identical parts by establishing precautionary rules and carefully monitoring their execution.

Used MS Word & Excel daily to update production spreadsheets and manage organizational systems.

Backup forklift driver, backup tool sharpener.

Constantly took charge in improvement projects to optimize production, organize, and reduce waste.

Temp Agency B, Location (temp for Company A) 02/2013 ̶05/2013

Shop Operator, Tapping Dept.

Operated production tapping machines.

On second day broke machine production record by 21%. Went on to break records on two other machines.

Quickly learned setup of all tapping machines and relieved the plant manager of all setup responsibility and most troubleshooting responsibility for the department.

Sharpened counterbores and taps.

Quickly hired by client company and promoted after demonstrating motivation, analytical capacity, and understanding of business operations.

University of Wisconsin-Parkside, Kenosha, WI 09/2012 ̶12/2012

Undergraduate Research Apprentice

Independently planned, organized, executed a short experimental green screen film.

EDUCATION

University of Wisconsin-Parkside, Kenosha, WI 2008 ̶2012

B.A. in Interdisciplinary Art

Worked in several disciplines including metalworking, graphic design, film, and video editing.

TECHNICAL SKILLS

Production machine setup, Microsoft Word & Excel, Intuit Quickbooks, Forklift, Knowledge of threaded fastener standards, Caliper Measurement, Tool Sharpening, Basic CNC mill operation, Adobe Creative Suite.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:33 AM

Sorry for the late reply. Above is my resume. I am moving in 2 months when my lease is up so it's not a matter of waiting until I have more skills, I'm just trying to do the best I can with what I have.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:37 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,044,157 times
Hmmm... if the most recent placed I worked (a failing machine shop) had you there, they might not have failed... but then again, they rarely listened to advise or recommendations.

A few small suggestions:

1) Dedicated assistant management professional with experience in fast-paced, complex manufacturing environments. Demonstrated ability to lead, organize, improve, plan, and find solutions.

I would get rid of the word "assistant" unless you consider that a key part of your job search or workplace identity. Just say you're a "management professional" since adding the word "assistant" can come across the wrong way - "oh, he's just an assistant - he doesn't do the big jobs himself."

2) "Saved the company $360 per month by eliminating the worst job in the shop: separating machined parts from metal chips by hand for up to 3 hours daily. Retrofitted the tumbler with different size screens to do the job so the laborer could do more valuable tasks."

You might want to come up with a better way to say "worst job" - maybe "most time consuming job" or "most expensive job"... worst seems a bit vague. Also, the phrase "deburring" or "removing burrs" might be a faster way to say what you're getting at.

3) "On second day broke machine production record by 21%. Went on to break records on two other machines."

Not sure I like the word "broke" sitting in front of "machine" - maybe "surpassed machine production record" - that could sound better.

4) Add some specific machine types to your list of skills. Companies these days are absurdly picky about everything, so they might want somebody with skills on Makino mills... not just mills, if you see what I mean.

Summary: Overall, you've got a good resume, and all my suggestions are minor ones.

Good luck.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:32 PM

Hey, thanks Rambler. I will make all of those fixes I appreciate it. Where do you work now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search