Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 02:06 AM

33 posts, read 44,009 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I am a long-term Colorado resident and am looking for work. I seem to be running into some walls and would like to know if anyone has any input.

Some background. I came out of college with a Bachelor's degree in international studies and a strong command of the German language. I studied in Europe, and after graduation took an English teaching job in east Asia. Why did I go down that road? I feel that we are becoming a more global society, and besides I happen to find that field really interesting.

I am interested in foreign languages and have studied several critical-needs languages such as Russian, Japanese, Mandarin, and Korean, with varying degrees of proficiency. I have been told I would be a very competent German>English translator, though so far have not been able to get my foot in the door with a company.

I also have good computer skills, type fast, can get around Word and PowerPoint, and have some basic HTML skills.

Anyway, after coming home from overseas I tried applying to government jobs, other jobs with an international focus, and so on. After months of unsuccessful applying, I began networking and meeting people in the international field. I attended many events and met a few people who did take the time to speak with me and hash out some ideas.

It feels like there is something missing. Maybe I do not have a marketable enough skill under my belt? Maybe I am too much of a generalist? Maybe I am in the wrong location to be doing what I am trying to do?

I am hesitant to run back to school and get a Master's degree. That is really expensive, and I wonder how necessary it really is.

A few roads I am considering. A) Keep doing what I am doing. Continue to meet people face to face who are in my field and see what turns up. B) Go back to Asia for another year. This is not really much of a career move though. C) Develop another skill, such as programming.

Or D). Any ideas on what that might be? I am looking to see if anyone has any input they might be able to share.

Thanks for having made it this far!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 04:41 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,012 times
I would consider something like trying to get into a university's international education department - functional proficiency in multiple languages plus a bit of teaching experience is useful to get into the door, particularly your Asian languages. They aren't the most lucrative positions but they are decent and a great way to start.

Your fluent German is like my fluent French - a great bonus, but not enough to really get your foot in the door aside from perhaps a tour guide for European visitors. The vast majority of people who come here from German-speaking countries (and French) have good enough English. People seeking to hire actual translators want native speakers in general (right or wrong, that's what they want).

I think international ed is your best bet at this point. I don't see where you have any actual work experience that international business would be interested in. Lots of people have EFL experience and some basic fluency in other languages.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:25 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,065 times
Well, what kinds of jobs have you been applying for and what kind do you want? You don't say at all. You mention a background but don't indicate what you actually want to do. Also, are you still in CO? I'm not sure how big a job market is out there for those types of jobs. In the DC area or even CA or Seattle you would have better luck. Here in DC you would probably apply for jobs with nonprofits, NGO's, maybe take the foreign service exam. You could probably get an entry level job in some international-ish organization as long as you interview well and look nice.

Forget translating - it is not a realistic career, especially not with German, which is spoken proficiently by so many people here in the US. It's mostly a freelance thing anyway.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
I would consider something like trying to get into a university's international education department - functional proficiency in multiple languages plus a bit of teaching experience is useful to get into the door, particularly your Asian languages. They aren't the most lucrative positions but they are decent and a great way to start.

Your fluent German is like my fluent French - a great bonus, but not enough to really get your foot in the door aside from perhaps a tour guide for European visitors. The vast majority of people who come here from German-speaking countries (and French) have good enough English. People seeking to hire actual translators want native speakers in general (right or wrong, that's what they want).

I think international ed is your best bet at this point. I don't see where you have any actual work experience that international business would be interested in. Lots of people have EFL experience and some basic fluency in other languages.
Hi, thanks for the response. That's not a bad idea, but don't these kinds of things usually require a Master's degree or higher?

Old 01-27-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Well, what kinds of jobs have you been applying for and what kind do you want? You don't say at all. You mention a background but don't indicate what you actually want to do. Also, are you still in CO? I'm not sure how big a job market is out there for those types of jobs. In the DC area or even CA or Seattle you would have better luck. Here in DC you would probably apply for jobs with nonprofits, NGO's, maybe take the foreign service exam. You could probably get an entry level job in some international-ish organization as long as you interview well and look nice.

Forget translating - it is not a realistic career, especially not with German, which is spoken proficiently by so many people here in the US. It's mostly a freelance thing anyway.
Thanks for the response.

The thing is - I cannot say specifically what I want to do since I do not know what all is out there. Right now I want to narrow down my options.

As for what I have applied to, I would say federal government jobs, think tanks, translation agencies, other work that could make use of clerical skills. I have also made contacts with staffing agencies in other states that work with international companies.

How are you sure about translating? I know people who make a good living as freelance translators, and the BLS says that the field is projected to grow: Interpreters and Translators : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (Not sure why that link is posting like that.)

Old 01-27-2014, 02:45 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by km_5280 View Post
Thanks for the response.

The thing is - I cannot say specifically what I want to do since I do not know what all is out there. Right now I want to narrow down my options.

As for what I have applied to, I would say federal government jobs, think tanks, translation agencies, other work that could make use of clerical skills. I have also made contacts with staffing agencies in other states that work with international companies.

How are you sure about translating? I know people who make a good living as freelance translators, and the BLS says that the field is projected to grow: Interpreters and Translators : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (Not sure why that link is posting like that.)
Yes, I am sure about translating. It was my profession for many years, and I never knew a single person who made a living doing it - just extra cash. Not only is it not growing, but improvements in translating software have made a lot of previous jobs obsolete. Finally, you have to remember that there are many many German people in this country who are completely bilingual, and you would not be able to compete with them. If you know people making a living that way then they are rare people indeed.

Think tanks require PhDs. International education requires a PhD. A person with a BA, some language and some international experience would be best off applying to NGO's and other nonprofits for entry level administrative and program assistant positions. Start searching the internet for NGO's and nonprofits related to Asia. There are gazillions of them, but it takes some searching. When you find one that interests you, send a resume and cover letter whether or not they are looking for people. Familiarize yourself with the kinds of jobs they have available and express interest in one of them.

Once you have worked a little in the field and know what's out there and what the job opportunities are like, you can get a graduate degree and mostly have it paid for with grants. There are many opportunities in that field if you are smart about your choices.

Last edited by Mnseca; 01-27-2014 at 02:53 PM..

Old 01-27-2014, 03:20 PM

180 posts, read 377,946 times
I went down this route and had some international trade experience in multiple countries to boot when I came back. Do the programing!

Nobody gives a crap for Asian languages..... If it ain't Chinese, nobody cares. Save your self some time and pick a different specialty to market yourself as unless you want to work with kids again. The Asian language skill does give you a small +1 for some government jobs.

I switched to I.T. and get a million times more attention from companies now. On rare occasion I would get interest from Asian/European companies in the states but they called mostly for the int. import/export experience I had. If I had just teaching....hell no.

As for international NGO/U.N./Non-profit type gigs....if they aren't leveraging your education experience(same job, less pay!)....even tougher market. IME, most of these jobs desire engineers, I.T. prof., scientist, doctors, security people, PHD researchers, or experienced aid workers. The budget is too tight to fund a bunch of non-related skilled foreigners when locals can do....even foreign firms don't see the point usually they're hiring a genius(IVY degree, MBA), highly experienced pro, or some kid who worked his way through the ladder and fought hard to keep it.

Just having the international experience by itself is praised on the streets but it's overrated with HR.

Last edited by minos16; 01-27-2014 at 04:00 PM..

Old 01-27-2014, 04:12 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,769,824 times
I had a similar background to yours when I was in my 20s, km_5280. I eventually found my career in IT/computers, but it took several entry level jobs and temping to get there. The area of the country where you might have more luck with your background is DC or the northeast. I would not encourage you to get a master's degree but to get into a field first and then do more schooling later.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:37 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,012 times
RE: International education

What I am referring to is something like student liason on campus, basic office administration - not a career which requires travel to liason between universities or something like that. You don't have much experience and a basic degree, so start at the bottom, get your foot in the door, and then later you can consider positions/further education. Even if it's temporary - simple admin jobs at universities will still pay an okay starting wage.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:52 PM

Thanks for the responses everyone, I'll keep all of that in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search