Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 11:06 PM

209 posts, read 292,476 times

Advertisements

I was terminated from employment this past July. The only reason given was for performance. No additional details were given. The company policy is to only give dates of employment and title and that's it. I recently found out through the grapevine that my former manager had given a caller more than the company line in regards to the reason why I was no longer employed at the facility. He did mention the fact that I was terminated and that I was not eligible for rehire based on the termination. I'm sort of debating contacting the HR reps at my old company to complain about my former manager. However, I doubt that will do a lot of good.

What I have been doing on recent job apps is to select the do not contact check box when asked if they can contact this former employer. To me, that's like waving a huge red flag in front of someone's face. Can anyone give me some ideas of how I can get around this former manager just blabbing about my termination?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 11:31 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker65 View Post
I was terminated from employment this past July. The only reason given was for performance. No additional details were given. The company policy is to only give dates of employment and title and that's it. I recently found out through the grapevine that my former manager had given a caller more than the company line in regards to the reason why I was no longer employed at the facility. He did mention the fact that I was terminated and that I was not eligible for rehire based on the termination. I'm sort of debating contacting the HR reps at my old company to complain about my former manager. However, I doubt that will do a lot of good.

What I have been doing on recent job apps is to select the do not contact check box when asked if they can contact this former employer. To me, that's like waving a huge red flag in front of someone's face. Can anyone give me some ideas of how I can get around this former manager just blabbing about my termination?
That's unfortunate.

That is going to be a major obstacle.

People get fired. It happens. The best thing to do IMHO is to say you were terminated because you had a difference in philosophy with your old boss. There's really no other way around it than to try and just gloss over it like that.

Another option would be to say that you got laid off, and gamble that they reach one of the HR people who will just give them the dates and that's it. You could also call your old manager and talk it out with him, but I assume that option is off the table.

Never burn bridges in the future.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:21 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
Can you just put an HR name and number and not the manager?

Old 01-28-2014, 03:50 AM

307 posts, read 405,379 times
I'm having this same issue.

Old 01-28-2014, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Can you just put an HR name and number and not the manager?
Yes. I had some concerns about this a couple months ago and I contacted the HR person who helped process my termination. Since the facility was in the process of being sold, she told me to put her contact information down. I had some concerns about doing that as the facility I used to work at is in Maine while the HR folks are in another state. I just worried that it would look odd that I was putting an HR person down as the contact.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIVERSMVP14 View Post
I'm having this same issue.
What are you doing to overcome this issue?

For me, I took on a six month temporary position that will end in a couple of weeks. In this position, I've had to deal with a very wide variety of people with a wide variety of backgrounds and at various levels. Feedback that my manager has been given is that I do have very good people skills and that I represented myself and my department in an exemplary manner. I intend to use this feedback and the reference from my manager as an indicator that my prior manager was wrong on his assessment.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:08 AM

307 posts, read 405,379 times
I had a 3 month temp job as well and can now use THAT employer as a reference since I was laid off and not fired and he said he'd hire me back since I did great work.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:44 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
I'd indeed start by contacting your former employer's HR dept. If that doesn't work you can try a cease and desist letter but it may not work as they are only stating facts and not slandering you per se. Finally I'd consider faking the reference. Giving a friend or family member's phone number and have him pretend to be the supervisor.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:30 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
I would call HR and tell them that you heard that your former manager is violating company policy and that you would like the matter addressed so it does not occur in the future. Right now you are operating off rumor. If you want proof, pay a background company to run a background on you. You could even skip that and just have friend call, saying they are doing a background check on you and see how much the former manager tells them and go from there.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:54 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
You can go the 'soft' route and speak with HR about company policy and the manager's inappropriate blabbing.

Or you can take the tough approach and call the manager directly and explain to him politely but firmly that if ever says another thing about your performance while you worked for him that he better be prepared to face the law suit from hell. Capiche?

That usually gets their attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search