Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 11:32 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,821,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
you've been watching too many late night infomercials.
No, I've not, actually. I have to be in bed by 9pm in order to get up at 5am to be at my regular job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 12:12 PM

313 posts, read 497,577 times
Am I the only person that sees no issue with this? If a company is paying you, in a sense you're working for them.

I have a friend who worked as a contractor under 1099 for Google and was collecting a paycheck from them for 2 years. Does this mean she can't put them on her resume since she wasn't a full time employee there? No, she puts them on because that's where her paycheck came from.

I have a college on my resume that I did a 6-month study abroad program through. I paid them, the check I wrote was to that school, so they're on my resume as a school that I got an education from. I didn't get any type of degree, so I didn't write about a degree, but some would say that simply having this (VERY prestigious) school on your resume would be lying if you didn't *actually* go there. I say, I wrote the check to them for an educational program, so they're on my resume.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:30 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,313,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krawhitham View Post
Am I the only person that sees no issue with this? If a company is paying you, in a sense you're working for them.

I have a friend who worked as a contractor under 1099 for Google and was collecting a paycheck from them for 2 years. Does this mean she can't put them on her resume since she wasn't a full time employee there? No, she puts them on because that's where her paycheck came from.

I have a college on my resume that I did a 6-month study abroad program through. I paid them, the check I wrote was to that school, so they're on my resume as a school that I got an education from. I didn't get any type of degree, so I didn't write about a degree, but some would say that simply having this (VERY prestigious) school on your resume would be lying if you didn't *actually* go there. I say, I wrote the check to them for an educational program, so they're on my resume.
Google pays a lot of people for ad words. Doesn't make you an employee, in one sense.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:40 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,939,072 times
Why would working at Google get you more interviews? They run a nice little ad selling business but otherwise it is pretty meh. Unless you were directly involved in setting up their ad business, I don't see otherwise how that would get you more interviews.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:46 PM

881 posts, read 1,816,502 times
Quote:

The OP got money for renting out space in his blog... he didn't work for Google. Is it really that hard to comprehend the difference? If you sold goods on ebay, do you claim to work for ebay? If you did an free online course from Stanford, do you claim to have attended Stanford? Maybe if I bought a coffee cup from the Harvard gift shop, I could claim I attended Harvard?

A contractor does not go through the very vigorous hiring that Google is well known for. That is a fact. She can put it on her resume, but she should mention she was a contractor (or employee whatever contracting firm) for X project at Google.

Those of us in the industry know the difference. Xooglers brings knowledge, credibility, and access to their network (there is an official alumni network that Google maintains and tracks). That is why they are sought after.

He is a liar, there is no "sorta" about it. He didn't have offers..he has enquiries from recruiters. He is ruining his own reputation, and also those of his former colleagues who recommended him to their startups.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:54 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,313,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
The OP got money for renting out space in his blog... he didn't work for Google. Is it really that hard to comprehend the difference? If you sold goods on ebay, do you claim to work for ebay? If you did an free online course from Stanford, do you claim to have attended Stanford? Maybe if I bought a coffee cup from the Harvard gift shop, I could claim I attended Harvard?

A contractor does not go through the very vigorous hiring that Google is well known for. That is a fact. She can put it on her resume, but she should mention she was a contractor (or employee whatever contracting firm) for X project at Google.

Those of us in the industry know the difference. Xooglers brings knowledge, credibility, and access to their network (there is an official alumni network that Google maintains and tracks). That is why they are sought after.

He is a liar, there is no "sorta" about it. He didn't have offers..he has enquiries from recruiters. He is ruining his own reputation, and also those of his former colleagues who recommended him to their startups.
^^^^ This

Old 02-28-2014, 01:47 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,740,683 times
"sorta lied"

how about blatantly lied, smart guy.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:59 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,572,110 times
I get his point though. Just by placing certain keywords or companies on your resume, it's almost like having an additional diploma or certification. Again, what if you technically worked there for a week? Not long enough to really DO anything. But you could list it, and the offers would start rolling in.

Welcome to the world of the brainless HR assistant and resume parsing software. We are all commodities now.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:09 PM

174 posts, read 333,068 times
I think it depends on how you framed it in your linkedin profile. eg. there is a huge difference between

Marketing Consultant, Google
- x duties
- y duties

as opposed to
Adwords Partner, Google
- x duties
- y duties

My second example would be the more truthful of the two....so if you framed it like that...that wouldn't be lying at all, because you are a partner with adwords and Google is the one who pays you. If you're flubbing things so that it actually looks like you're working at HQ then yes that is a lie.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:26 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,681,076 times
Quote:

Well first of all, I think the OP is just pointing out how much people place an emphasis on big names on resume. But otherwise, let's be realistic, people are giving him so much attention because Google wanted him as an employee and people seem to place alot of trust him google picking him(if google saw something in him he must be great).If he goes with this you can guarantee as soon as he is found out he will be kicked out the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search