Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 09:50 AM

288 posts, read 512,524 times

Advertisements

I own a website that gets paid from Amazon, Ebay, Google affiliates, etc..., and I would never claim I work for them or even say I receive a paycheck from them. Amazon and I are splitting the profit from the traffic I drove to their site. The problem is the skills you used in making money from google adsense is nothing like the skills you would have had you actually been working for google. Most of the places contacting you are going to recognize immediately that you do not have google-worthy skills, which may either lead them to check on your credentials or just not consider you for the job. Also, in the tech-field, word will spread very quick that you're a liar and any career you might have had going will be finished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 09:54 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,248,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
Dude. Don't go looking to work for someone else: you're well on your way to creating your own business! Screw the resume and "references". You've already got a start on a "cookbook" for how to do this.

Start a (legal) pyramid. Find 10 people who want to do what you did--get ad revenue for ads on their sites and show them how to do it and you get a piece of their ad revenue. Then, have each of them show 10 other people how to do it, as long as they get a piece of it, and you get a small piece of that. Lather, rinse, repeat.

If you do it right, you can have nickels, dimes, quarters, dollars flowing in 24/7 while you need do practically nothing. That's something that I dream of!
Before you do that, Google () the following:

MLM (Multi Level Marketing)

Ponzi

Old 02-28-2014, 10:00 AM

180 posts, read 379,838 times
The people who contacted you are likely recruiters.....recruiters will contact you if you even have one relevant line in your resume: i had one line saying i did javascript and had recruiters trying to recruit me even after i said it boarderline basic.....

Dont get hsppy yet. Also for the unaware, google does hire ccontractors, i was offered a job as a photographer but turned it down.

Lastly, people will pay money for ypur skills, im in back end i.t. and my knowledge of social media, google analytics, and adwords was always very welcome.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:00 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,115,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Ouch... Yeah, this is not a path you want to go down - you need to be honest on this one. I know it's frustrating and hard out there, but trust me, employers do verify stuff like this, especially with big-name companies. Any company that wants to hire you because they think you actually worked for Google would verify that. This isn't the type of thing you want to fool around with - be honest about it.

Good luck.
Not to be short, but... why? Employers lie and deceive more often than not in advertising and recruiting. Why should job seekers with families to feed be held to a higher code of conduct?

It would be great to have a system where everyone was honest and upfront and it would be great to have cities where you didn't need to lock your doors, but if you behave as if that is the situation you will be painfully alerted to reality.

If someone wants to lie on their application, it is no worse than the recruiting company lying. If the application is so they can feed a child, at least they have good motivation. That is more than can be said for the departments that put out blatantly misleading ads. If companies actually did intelligent research on candidates, lying on resumes would be completely useless because the company would regularly determine the best candidate from facts. A resume is a marketing tool, not a collection of facts. Because recruiting managers are often incapable of determining who should be hired, providing them exactly the information (even false) that they are hoping for is one method of finding a job. It is illegal for the company to withhold prior pay. It is also illegal for them to try to keep him from finding work with other companies after he leaves. If they so much as breathed a word about it without permission he could hit them with a lawsuit that would cover costs of living for a few years.

Assume other people will treat you fairly at your own risk.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:15 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,050,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Not to be short, but... why? Employers lie and deceive more often than not in advertising and recruiting. Why should job seekers with families to feed be held to a higher code of conduct?

It would be great to have a system where everyone was honest and upfront and it would be great to have cities where you didn't need to lock your doors, but if you behave as if that is the situation you will be painfully alerted to reality.

If someone wants to lie on their application, it is no worse than the recruiting company lying. If the application is so they can feed a child, at least they have good motivation. That is more than can be said for the departments that put out blatantly misleading ads. If companies actually did intelligent research on candidates, lying on resumes would be completely useless because the company would regularly determine the best candidate from facts. A resume is a marketing tool, not a collection of facts. Because recruiting managers are often incapable of determining who should be hired, providing them exactly the information (even false) that they are hoping for is one method of finding a job. It is illegal for the company to withhold prior pay. It is also illegal for them to try to keep him from finding work with other companies after he leaves. If they so much as breathed a word about it without permission he could hit them with a lawsuit that would cover costs of living for a few years.

Assume other people will treat you fairly at your own risk.
Oh, believe me - I could write a book on all the corrupt nonsense I've seen companies pull, and as you've said, a huge chunk of them are at best filled with soulless "yes-men" who'll gladly throw people under the bus for a 1 cent increase in share price.

That being said, while the average employee owes his employer nothing more than a day's work for a day's pay, lying in a case like this can badly harm the employee. Believe, I don't care about the employer. Any company that's stupid enough to want to hire somebody based on their "previous employment at Google" and who then turns around and doesn't verify his employment deserves what they get. However, most employers are smarter than that. They'll investigate the situation, find out that the person in question is either lying or badly stretching the truth, and then not only will they not hire them, they can easily black-list him right out of other future employment opportunities.

So, my warning comes out of concern for the OP and other would-be employees that consider the same tactics, not out of concern for idiotic companies that are too cheap or lazy to properly hire people.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:48 AM

6,480 posts, read 7,833,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
Dude. Don't go looking to work for someone else: you're well on your way to creating your own business! Screw the resume and "references". You've already got a start on a "cookbook" for how to do this.

Start a (legal) pyramid. Find 10 people who want to do what you did--get ad revenue for ads on their sites and show them how to do it and you get a piece of their ad revenue. Then, have each of them show 10 other people how to do it, as long as they get a piece of it, and you get a small piece of that. Lather, rinse, repeat.

If you do it right, you can have nickels, dimes, quarters, dollars flowing in 24/7 while you need do practically nothing. That's something that I dream of!
you've been watching too many late night infomercials.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:59 AM

417 posts, read 869,874 times
This is a pants on fire thread.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:00 AM

79 posts, read 123,669 times
More power to you, man. The system is for gaming.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:29 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,755,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
Eh, roll with it.

What is the worst that can happen?
Getting the job, getting a sign-on bonus, then being found out, fired, and forced to give back the sign-on bonus (which, hopefully, you haven't yet spent).

OP, I doubt job offers are rolling in - requests for interviews seems more likely. And I fail to see how you'll be able to bluff your way through an interview if you claim to work for Google but in actuality, are getting a check for Google AdSense.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:32 AM

588 posts, read 1,016,866 times
If you can pull it off, I don't see much problem. But I feel if you did get a job based on that lie, that once you get there, the fact that you really don't know and can't do whatever it is you are claiming you know and can do, will become blindingly apparent. What kind of jobs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search