Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 08:41 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,361,223 times

Advertisements

I applied to two jobs I found on linkedin and got denied that same night. I'm sure it was just spit out by their software. The thing is, they didn't even post experience requirements. Idiotic HR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 08:45 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,900,531 times
It happens. I applied at a local school district then the next day they emailed me that it is closed. Many companies forget to take down their job openings on different sites.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:49 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,521,352 times
Is this another bash HR thread? Who's the idiot for applying to a job where the requirements were not known?

Old 03-11-2014, 08:09 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,361,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Is this another bash HR thread? Who's the idiot for applying to a job where the requirements were not known?
Why not? Apparently there were no experience requirements or they would be listed.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:10 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,039,582 times
I have absolute proof that those software systems that filter resumes are both out of control and often set to reject everyone - while this is only one example, the fact that this major company was forced to admit to it leaves the whole system suspect.

Years ago, I applied to an engineering job at a local aerospace company. I didn't hear anything back, of course... then, months later, I get a call from them asking me if I had received a rejection email. I had not, and they then told me that their system was basically set up to reject everyone and that the engineering manager had grown tired of this nonsense and actually wanted to interview some people for the job. Somehow, he brought pressure to bear against HR and forced them to actually set up interviews for possible candidates. I was floored by this since it confirmed what I suspected - the system DOES reject everyone... if it happens here, how many other places does it happen? The only reason I knew about this was because the engineering manager decided to go against the system and force interviews - in any other situation, the auto-rejections would have continued forever!

At any rate, I had an onsite interview with them that lasted 4+ hours. I saw the whole plant, talked with everyone, and they all liked my experience. They promised me that "this time" they were going to hire somebody for this long-awaited position, and I was a top choice. And I didn't get the job. Nobody got it. That job STILL sits on their website, at least FOUR YEARS after being first posted! I have to assume that HR managed to reign in the engineering manager and get everything back to the way it was before - with every candidate being rejected automatically.

So, yeah... the system is a sham, and heaven only knows how many other places have their filters set up to basically auto-reject nearly everyone who applies.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:13 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,071,953 times
Quote:
A bit defensive?

Old 03-11-2014, 08:16 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,900,531 times
Quote:
Honestly my friend is an hr person and she told me a bunch of crap they do. I was thinking of being one although its not my field. I had an HR person call me on her cell and ask me questions. I thought it was really in appropriate.But hey a school Principal did it to me also.She said she was a way from her office and to remind her of whom I was again. Lol

There are all kinds of slackers.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:40 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
I have absolute proof that those software systems that filter resumes are both out of control and often set to reject everyone - while this is only one example, the fact that this major company was forced to admit to it leaves the whole system suspect.

Years ago, I applied to an engineering job at a local aerospace company. I didn't hear anything back, of course... then, months later, I get a call from them asking me if I had received a rejection email. I had not, and they then told me that their system was basically set up to reject everyone and that the engineering manager had grown tired of this nonsense and actually wanted to interview some people for the job. Somehow, he brought pressure to bear against HR and forced them to actually set up interviews for possible candidates. I was floored by this since it confirmed what I suspected - the system DOES reject everyone... if it happens here, how many other places does it happen? The only reason I knew about this was because the engineering manager decided to go against the system and force interviews - in any other situation, the auto-rejections would have continued forever!

At any rate, I had an onsite interview with them that lasted 4+ hours. I saw the whole plant, talked with everyone, and they all liked my experience. They promised me that "this time" they were going to hire somebody for this long-awaited position, and I was a top choice. And I didn't get the job. Nobody got it. That job STILL sits on their website, at least FOUR YEARS after being first posted! I have to assume that HR managed to reign in the engineering manager and get everything back to the way it was before - with every candidate being rejected automatically.

So, yeah... the system is a sham, and heaven only knows how many other places have their filters set up to basically auto-reject nearly everyone who applies.
The problem is that the AI required for these type of systems isn't quite there yet. Also, the HR people probably setting up the filters probably need a refresher course on basic logic.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:38 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,039,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveyL View Post
The problem is that the AI required for these type of systems isn't quite there yet. Also, the HR people probably setting up the filters probably need a refresher course on basic logic.
True, and it is a strong example of what really goes on at these companies.

The HR people, who have little to know idea what is actually required for the technical position in question, set up the resume filters in a way that rules out most candidates, regardless of their actual skills. Top that off with crummy AI in the resume filters themselves, and you have the mythical "skills gap," where suddenly everyone in the nation is "unqualified" to work anywhere but their current job. It's absurd... I'm just glad I got a straight answer from the company in question that made it painfully clear just how useless the resume filters - and often the HR people - are in these places. When it gets so bad that the engineering manager has to *demand* to be given people to interview because "nobody is qualified" it is clear that the system is flawed.

I suspect in the end the HR people regrouped and got their way, thus magically ruling out all the people who were interviewed as "unqualified" and resulting in the job sitting on the website for close to 4 years now.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:51 PM

15 posts, read 12,383 times
When HR brings down the company because they can't hire anyone, maybe they will cut the crap. Maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search