Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 04:21 PM

20 posts, read 45,309 times

Advertisements

So, I'll be graduating this May from College and I have sense made changes to my resume. I can not fit all my jobs on my resume.

Here's kind of how my resume goes:

Internship Jan 2014-Present (Related to career field)

Job September 2013-Present (Retail part time job)

Internship June 2013-August 2013 (Kind of related to career/leadership experience)

Internship September 2012-February 2013 (Related to career field)
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's my dilemma. I have taken this off my resume a couple months ago but keep debating.

Job 2008-May 2013 (Retail but I worked here for almost 5 years)

Should I add it back on my resume? Or leave like it is? My margins are like at .5 already and font is like at 11 already

Last edited by RONred01; 04-05-2014 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: Missing detail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 04:34 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,167,969 times
No.

Delete the useless stuff full of adjectives that don't mean anything, go to standard font size and standard margins. If you still don't have room for one line I'd be amazed. As it is with 11-point font and wall to wall text, absolutely no one is going to read it anyway.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:36 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,880,668 times
Only put on it things related to the job.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:42 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,954,770 times
You said you are graduating, does that mean college? If that's the case I would take off some of the high school jobs.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:53 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
Unless you are applying for retail jobs, you can keep the descriptions and responsibilities brief.

Retail Store, 09/13 to present
Cashier/stock clerk. Stocked merchandise, assisted customers.

Nobody is going to care about much more than that. The jobs are good for showing work ethic and consistency.

For a 6 month internship there can't be much to include. I don't want to know about the minutiae of the job, just the big picture. This should be done in 2-3 bullet points, max.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:54 PM

Yes graduating college. Sorry

I was debating on adding it back on because it shows loyalty? I know overall, I think I'm okay because majority of the positions are internships, but I keep second guessing it.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Unless you are applying for retail jobs, you can keep the descriptions and responsibilities brief.

Retail Store, 09/13 to present
Cashier/stock clerk. Stocked merchandise, assisted customers.

Nobody is going to care about much more than that. The jobs are good for showing work ethic and consistency.

For a 6 month internship there can't be much to include. I don't want to know about the minutiae of the job, just the big picture. This should be done in 2-3 bullet points, max.

Yea. I don't go that in depth with it on my resume. I just put things like:

Deliver excellent customer service
Achieved credit/reward goals of _____

Old 04-05-2014, 05:03 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RONred01 View Post

Too much. Of course you delivered excellent customer service. So did every other person who has ever been employed in retail. Of course you made your goals. Everyone in retail who has ever crafted a résumé includes the fact that they met and exceeded goals.

It's all puffery. Include it if you need filler. You don't, so drop it and stick with company, time employed, location, and title with one general bullet point describing the job.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Too much. Of course you delivered excellent customer service. So did every other person who has ever been employed in retail. Of course you made your goals. Everyone in retail who has ever crafted a résumé includes the fact that they met and exceeded goals.

It's all puffery. Include it if you need filler. You don't, so drop it and stick with company, time employed, location, and title with one general bullet point describing the job.

Yea I was just afraid to make them too task-based. Will definitely try the 1 bullet route

Old 04-05-2014, 05:36 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,746,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RONred01 View Post

For most of your jobs, I think you can skip the above fluffy duties/achievements.

Focus on your internships, especially if you were able to get some good work experience.

I'd include your other jobs, but without elaboration. The retail job you held for 5 years shows commitment and longevity. And since it looked like you worked your way through college, that's something a lot of employers and hiring managers like to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search