Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 10:07 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,317,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
There's 8 actually. Lol, proved your own point.
Actually you fell into my web, no one counts Dartmouth!

As a related Ivy send-up next time you are talking to a Bostonian casually mention that it's too bad that Boston doesn't have an Ivy school like Philadelphia or New York!

It sends them over the edge every time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 10:08 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
While we are at it, BU is not an Ivy League college.

They never said or implied it was, just that is is a common safety school (for a reason I never understood).

Old 04-03-2014, 10:47 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
I've found that my Ivy League degree opened many doors for me. I had a full ride to a very respected state school, but I figured after all that work in high school (seriously, I was always studying), I might as well go for the prestige. And it definitely paid off, though I only realized recently how much.

But really, it was the best choice for me academically as well. My fairly severe learning disability wasn't diagnosed until I was nearly 30 - the Ivy League school had a very small student-to-faculty ratio that allowed me to excel. Also with so much more at stake in terms of tuition, I worked really hard while I was there to get my money's worth. Would I have been as diligent on a full ride? I don't know.

For me, college was basically an incubator. I was very messed up back then, and it was a safe place for me to continue learning while I gained more independence from my family and got my legs under me.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:10 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,898,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
So, the point of this article is that "these" particular recruiters prefer state schools because a big school is a.) meat market (lots of warm bodies), and b.) those schools teach conformism. Shocking!

Ivies and exclusive Liberal Arts schools were never those two things, and with god's willing they will remain so.

Would you rather have a) nuts and bolts college professor or b) head in the clouds surrealist speaking his/her mind to you in a lecture hall twice a week?

It's OK to think outside the box but trying to convince students there are no barriers is something else.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:28 PM

59 posts, read 69,978 times
I think it depends on the size of the company and its place in the market. Global professional service firms in major cities tend to hire folks from highly selective schools, whereas small-market and regional companies may not filter the applicant pool in the same fashion. Professional service firms are not only selling a service, but an image. If a company's employee bios feature schools with global name recognition and reputations for being top of the line, clients are likely to believe that the company's fees are justified.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:55 PM

5,209 posts, read 4,674,581 times
Read whatever you have to to make you feel better about yourself. If you graduated from a state school and you have a brilliant career, more power to you. But most of my peers from my Ivy League graduating class are doing well career wise and I doubt this article is going to change that fact.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:30 PM

211 posts, read 266,798 times
No surprise. Most non-elite corporations prefer to have worker bees and drones who don't think too much and don't question things too much. Higher % of those and more of them at state schools than at elite schools.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:58 PM

128 posts, read 373,023 times
My organization prefers to hire new grads from SDSU, CSUC, T A&M over UC Berkeley, Stanford, UCSD, etc. Everybody earns at least $60k starting as IT developers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Yogurt View Post
No surprise. Most non-elite corporations prefer to have worker bees and drones who don't think too much and don't question things too much. Higher % of those and more of them at state schools than at elite schools.
Just wondering, do you consider HP an elite corporation? It's a Fortune 20 company

Old 04-03-2014, 03:51 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,358,980 times
Harvard grads only start out at 60k a year. That's only 5k more than most top20 business schools. And considering most of them are working in NYC or Boston, it's basically even. I just don't think Ivy League nerds fit well into most corporate cultures.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:06 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,424,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I've found that my Ivy League degree opened many doors for me. I had a full ride to a very respected state school, but I figured after all that work in high school (seriously, I was always studying), I might as well go for the prestige. And it definitely paid off, though I only realized recently how much.

But really, it was the best choice for me academically as well. My fairly severe learning disability wasn't diagnosed until I was nearly 30 - the Ivy League school had a very small student-to-faculty ratio that allowed me to excel. Also with so much more at stake in terms of tuition, I worked really hard while I was there to get my money's worth. Would I have been as diligent on a full ride? I don't know.

For me, college was basically an incubator. I was very messed up back then, and it was a safe place for me to continue learning while I gained more independence from my family and got my legs under me.
Speaking from experience, it's e-z to lose that ride unless you take your game up.

I was in that boat - full ride to an Ivy. The catch? If I slipped beneath a 3.7/4.0, I was out on my rear end after the next semester if I didn't pull it back up. No questions asked.

Despite what people may think, the work is HARD and your peers are - for the most part - a LOT more competitive than the aspiring prom queens with whom one went to high school. FWIW, I worked my tail off in HS to get the grades/creds to get into the Ivies with a ride to begin with. It was a different game once I was actually there, playing "up", looking at being kicked out unless I took it up a coupla notches.

The analogue in state schools, of course, is the sports scholarship. Get injured and you lose your ride, no discussion.

Either way, it's a pretty stark reality. But it sure keeps you focused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search