Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 11:01 AM

184 posts, read 338,538 times

Advertisements

I've been invited to fly out to a major company for a final interview next week Wednesday. (I live in Minnesota, the job is in New York state). Is it ever OK to ask that the visit be extended by one day, at personal expense, so I can tour the area? I've never been to this area and I'd like to see more. I'd be relocating my family and it's a big decision to make.

The hiring manager let me know it will be next week Thursday and I will hear back soon "about travel arrangements and the day's schedule." Should I wait to hear about the arrangements and schedule before mentioning this, or should I say something now? Who knows, maybe a tour of the area might be included in the day, or I might be asked if I want to extend.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 11:08 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,185,759 times
Sure, you can be upfront about it and ask them to book the return flight a day or two after the interview is over so you can tour the area. Make sure you mention that you will check from the hotel out the day of the interview but want the return flight a day or two later. Should not be any problem for their logistics team.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:18 AM

552 posts, read 834,460 times
No, i would highly recommend against that. You dont yet work for this company and you dont want there to be a chance that this is the reason a company doens't hire you. Dont risk it.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:23 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
If you want to do it, do it on your own. You'll get a plane ticket, you can call the airline and change it. You'll maybe get a hotel room, you can phone the hotel and have them make it an extra day.

That being said, if you wind up with the job, I have never seen a relocation package that doesn't include usually a week to scout the area and home hunt.

I wouldn't ask the employer to do anything beyond bringing you there for the interview. I'd wager that your plane ticket is same day there and back, and hotel isn't involved.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:35 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,900,562 times
I think it's a common request and demonstrates you are serious and practical about the possibility of relocating. Do mention it would be at your own expense, and it should not be a problem for them. I would try to let them know before the travel arrangements are made, though.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:35 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autum1031 View Post
I've been invited to fly out to a major company for a final interview next week Wednesday. (I live in Minnesota, the job is in New York state). Is it ever OK to ask that the visit be extended by one day, at personal expense, so I can tour the area? I've never been to this area and I'd like to see more. I'd be relocating my family and it's a big decision to make.

The hiring manager let me know it will be next week Thursday and I will hear back soon "about travel arrangements and the day's schedule." Should I wait to hear about the arrangements and schedule before mentioning this, or should I say something now? Who knows, maybe a tour of the area might be included in the day, or I might be asked if I want to extend.

Thanks!
I think this will be fine but you should let them know immediately before the flight is booked. You're contemplating moving to a completely different area, I would expect that you would want to explore it some.

I booked travel arrangements for a candidate who asked for the same consideration. I prepaid only one night at the hotel, and scheduled the departing flight for one day later. It was no additional cost or trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
That being said, if you wind up with the job, I have never seen a relocation package that doesn't include usually a week to scout the area and home hunt.

I wouldn't ask the employer to do anything beyond bringing you there for the interview. I'd wager that your plane ticket is same day there and back, and hotel isn't involved.
At that stage, OP would be locked into the job without having had the opportunity to explore the area. As for the travel being same day, it all depends on the flight schedules and how considerate the company is of its candidates. Even if it's the same day, there is no problem with OP asking to have the return flight be the next day instead.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:46 AM

2,120 posts, read 1,788,050 times
It doesn't hurt to ask. I recently was flown out for an interview to Las Vegas, my interview was scheduled for Monday morning and they wanted me to fly out the day before. I requested to fly out a few days earlier since I was worried about the potential of weather delays, as well as wanting time to get used to the time difference. I made my request when I spoke to the travel agent making the arrangements. The company did not have a problem with me coming earlier, they just made it clear that I would have to cover the expenses of the two extra nights.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:48 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I think this will be fine but you should let them know immediately before the flight is booked. You're contemplating moving to a completely different area, I would expect that you would want to explore it some.

I booked travel arrangements for a candidate who asked for the same consideration. I prepaid only one night at the hotel, and scheduled the departing flight for one day later. It was no additional cost or trouble.

At that stage, OP would be locked into the job without having had the opportunity to explore the area. As for the travel being same day, it all depends on the flight schedules and how considerate the company is of its candidates. Even if it's the same day, there is no problem with OP asking to have the return flight be the next day instead.
Same here.. In fact, I would appreciate that they want to explore the area. To me, it would show they are serious about relocating. I doubt they would be flying you out if you weren't a top candidate. What if you hated the area?

Old 04-16-2014, 12:00 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,148 times
It's a fairly common request. I've done it before, and when I've been on hiring committees, it's not uncommon at all for applicants to specifically ask if they can extend the trip by 1-2 days at their expense to check out the area, get a feel for cost of living, etc.

I found out after I was hired the fact that I'd been very transparent about wanting to get a sense of how much rent I'd be paying, what my commute/traffic would be like, etc was actually a point in my favor - they felt positive about my interest and demonstrated commitment, and also felt confident that I wouldn't accept the offer and then backpedal when I discovered the cost of living.

As I recall, the recruiter's admin handled all of the logistics for me. The company paid for my airplane ticket, rental car, and one night hotel/food. They arranged it so that the hotel billed the 2nd and 3rd night to my personal credit card. The hotel staff mentioned they saw this arrangement fairly often, too.

I live in a very high cost of living area, so if you're going to a cheaper area, it might not work as well.

Good luck!!!

Old 04-16-2014, 12:06 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
I'd probably, if you were going to ask for this, extend the trip on the front-end rather than the back-end.

That way, you can put it to them this way.. Interview is on Wednesday, they plan to fly you in Tuesday.. Ask them to fly you in on Monday, you'll pay for the added hotel, and tell them that you with the airlines the way they are, if something happens and a flight is cancelled, there's a full day to make alternate arrangements.

It's fully possible if they're flying you in on the last flight of the day on Tuesday, it gets cancelled, and then you're rushing from the airport to make an 11am interview on Wednesday.

That way, it makes it sound less like you're just going to be a tourist and more like you're being proactive in planning for the interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search