Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 08:02 AM

552 posts, read 835,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I've been amazed at the things I read on City Data that people do when looking for jobs. I get that times are tough but if you lie on a resume and/or application you will likely be caught and fired. Also the relocation advice. Do people really think it's a good idea to relocate with no job or try to deceive employers by getting a PO Box somewhere they don't live? Again, I get that times are tough and while SOME places may only take local candidates there is still a lot of bizarre advice. I am not an HR expert but the stuff I'm reading here is a real head scratcher sometimes. Common sense people. Rant over, discuss now.
LOL.

Yes, everyone be honest, even though corporations and the government aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 08:14 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,748,182 times
Quote:
The don't lie on your resume "crap" is my advice. I got a job due to good old fashioned persistence and the crap of not lying on my resume. That's it, that's my secret. You are the one coming across as whiny and feel free but any future post like that will be ignored by me.
Just telling it like it is. You're ranting without actually saying anything of value. So posts like yours are unhelpful.

I'm glad "good old fashioned persistence" worked out for you, but for the millions of long term unemployed, it obviously has not, and when one has bills that must be paid NOW, they would love to have ANY HELPFUL advice that will help them find a job AS SOON AS POSSIBLE (if you consider that "lying on my resume", whatever...).

If you care not to share anecdotes of what you did get your job to help those who are in a similar position, or if you don't have any other advice to offer aside from "don't lie on your resume" (as that's clearly not enough to land a job if you've truly read through all of the threads just on this forum with an open mind), then IMO it's better to read more and post less.

And boo hoo, you're going to ignore my posts. I'm crying imaginary tears over there right now, because I must have said something right if what I said is bothering you that much. I asked 3 simple questions in my first post for you to answer nicely and you instead answered with "What's your point?" So I responded accordingly.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:15 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,637,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Just telling it like it is. You're ranting without actually saying anything of value. So posts like yours are unhelpful.

I'm glad "good old fashioned persistence" worked out for you, but for the millions of long term unemployed, it obviously has not, and when once has bills that must be paid NOW, they would love to have HELPFUL advice that will help them find a job AS SOON AS POSSIBLE (if you consider that "lying on my resume", whatever...).

If you care not to share anecdotes of what you did get your job to help those who are in a similar position, or if you don't have any other advice to offer aside from "don't lie on your resume" (as that's clearly not enough to land a job if you've truly read through all of the threads just on this forum with an open mind), then IMO it's better to read more and post less.

And boo hoo, you're going to ignore my posts. I'm crying imaginary tears over there right now, because I must have said something right if what I said is bothering you that much. I asked 3 simple questions in my first post for you to answer nicely and you instead answered "What's your point?" So I responded accordingly.

Exactly. I tried to rep you but I have to spread it around.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:29 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
You know what I notice the most... someone posts a new thread with a question/concern and the immediate response is usually an attack at the OP for a dumb post... or a smart a** answer talking down to the OP.
I've noticed the same. Some people can't resist but sniping - as though they're angry at the world.

WyoEagle, I don't understand the lying on the resume thing either. It's not just the member who lied about having his master's degree, but the people chiming in saying it's no big deal, keep up the charade they'll never find out, etc. I have to wonder, at what point growing up do people gain such a sense of self-entitlement they have no scruples. Were they raised by people who have no moral compass or were they spoiled rotten and figure they can do whatever they like as long as they get whatever they want?

As for people wanting to move from small towns, they have a different vision of the world than we do. They don't know what reality is, but they've heard there are jobs here so they want to come. All we can do is give them a more realistic idea of what things are like and try and help them go in another direction. It becomes less baffling when you realize these are folks who may not have access to resources and information the way you and I do.

But really, which group is more naive and foolish? The posters who feel if they think a post is dumb it is dumb, so they have a right to respond accordingly - making only themselves look dumb?

The people who think you can get away with falsifying information in order to get a job?

The people from small towns with four channels on their television who feel Chicago has more jobs than any place near them so it will be a great place to go?

Old 06-04-2014, 08:39 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,424,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post

I will never go without work for 2 months or more, NEVER. If that means I have to go work at a call center, work with a landscaping crew, go to a temp agency and stand out front for daily jobs (painting, etc.), working with movers, etc. I will do it. Get up and take action. I watch the job boards daily (I have time between jobs right now) for anything and everything in my area and there are 54,934 on one board alone. Some of the work is 12$-15$/hr, but they advertise immediate fillings for landscaping etc. I would be all over that if I had to be.

You can only blame the potential employers for so long. If you find that you are doing nothing but complaining about all the interviews you go on or the companies you work for then maybe it is time you look into the mirror. Maybe the problem isn't them, maybe it is you.
Common Denominators, Unite!

Old 06-04-2014, 08:42 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,424,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

WyoEagle, I don't understand the lying on the resume thing either. It's not just the member who lied about having his master's degree, but the people chiming in saying it's no big deal, keep up the charade they'll never find out, etc. I have to wonder, at what point growing up do people gain such a sense of self-entitlement they have no scruples. Were they raised by people who have no moral compass or were they spoiled rotten and figure they can do whatever they like as long as they get whatever they want?
That astounded me too.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:59 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
There may be a few people that can lie on their resume and never get caught, however it's a gamble. We do verify degrees, when they are required as part of the background check. Any such fraud will result not only in the person being eliminated from that opening but also being flagged for any future openings. We will also fire someone if we find out later than there was anything false on their resume, and this is common. When I was out of work and close to losing the house in 2008, I applied to jobs that would have been a very long, almost unbearable commute simply because they were the only ones available in my area of expertise and pay range. I had only 3 actual interviews over 10 months but the 3rd in 2009 was a great job required experience/skills that I gained from my first two (unrelated) careers. It's been 5 years now with 2 promotions and performance based raises every year. I will not say that if I did it anyone can, that's just not true. I can say that the complaints about age discrimination are exaggerated, I was 57 when I started here. Since being promoted to manager my first hire was 54, the 3rd was 48. Because I was self employed at the time I had no access to any kind of unemployment benefits, so in addition to nearly exhausting savings I took a substitute school custodian job
to help make ends meet. A friend in a similar situation worked at a gas station at that time until he found something better. In our area the economy and unemployment rate are better than many parts of the country so I am not surprised that people are coming here to find work, but the apparent lack of common sense is coming here without the cash on hand to live several months in an expensive area while looking for work.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:23 AM
mcq

337 posts, read 673,135 times
Advice for one person may not work for another. I personally would not lie on my resume, use a PO Box (I am upfront about being out of state, if I am applying from a distance), and I certainly am not relocating before getting a job. If people have stories about this working for them, great! I don't mind hearing them. I've been in the process of looking for quite a while (fortunately I am employed, but looking for better) and can understand why people may need to take some risks.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:07 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,803,024 times
Quote:
I've been amazed at the things I read on City Data that people do when looking for jobs. I get that times are tough but if you lie on a resume and/or application you will likely be caught and fired. Also the relocation advice. Do people really think it's a good idea to relocate with no job or try to deceive employers by getting a PO Box somewhere they don't live? Again, I get that times are tough and while SOME places may only take local candidates there is still a lot of bizarre advice. I am not an HR expert but the stuff I'm reading here is a real head scratcher sometimes. Common sense people. Rant over, discuss now.
So you want us all to engage in discussing what idiots we think other people are?

Pretty worthless thread.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:34 AM

836 posts, read 1,032,560 times
Quote:
I can speak to the bolded part. When I was applying to NYC jobs with my resume containing my Richmond, VA address I received 0 calls. The moment I changed it to my friend's Brooklyn, NY address Voila! The calls, emails back started coming through and I successfully lined up 2 interviews within a few weeks. Many people say they are going to move, but never actually do so most HR managers don't even consider bringing you in for the interview.

So what are you suggesting? People should move first, THEN get a job? Sorry- but I'd rather have a secured job lined up before I move so if it means being dishonest by adding a NYC address before I actually move there, then so be it. It helped me and I'm sure others. I didn't use a PO box though- I used an apartment address but still....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search