Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 11:23 AM

11 posts, read 10,782 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone. I am having a tough and tricky situation about jobs. Hope someone can give me some tips. Sorry for the long post and really appreciate any opinions

I got out of graduate school one month ago and started working at a very small company for just one month. (Job market is tough in my field and that is why I accepted this position) But in this company there is no benefit so far and even no vacation time for the first year and you have to take your own time to go to see a doctor,. Most importantly I feel there are not too many resources and very limited growth potential . Now a top company in my filed invited me for an onsite interview. It is a position that I really want and the work there is interesting . I did not list my current job on my resume since I have not officially started my work at this small company by the time I applied the new position. So the new company does not know I am working and I did not mention it in the phone interview ( they did not bring it up)

I talked to a couple of friends and there are some mixed opinions.

One friend said I should not bring this up and should possibly hide this short period if they do not bring it up at the interview. But it is hard to avoid it since I have moved to a different city( different address in my resume). I want to be honest and do not want to make up any reasons. He said the company would never hire a person who left work after just one month. I know it is about loyalty but the two companies are not comparable and I am ready to make commitment to the big company. I don't feel fair about this. The company can fire you anytime. Later I know the small company I am working for fired a girl after she worked there for a couple of months.

Another opinion is that I should bring my updated resume with this short working experience and bring it up at the onsite interview. It is better than they ask me about it. But then I have to explain to probably 7-8 people and that is pretty risky.

Someone even said I should call the HR or hiring manager immediately.

I am really anxious about it now. Since I just graduated, if I find another job, I would not even list this short working experience at all in my future resume but now it seems to be so hard to deal with.

Thank you so much for your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 11:39 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sureaaa View Post
Hello, everyone. I am having a tough and tricky situation about jobs. Hope someone can give me some tips. Sorry for the long post and really appreciate any opinions

I got out of graduate school one month ago and started working at a very small company for just one month. (Job market is tough in my field and that is why I accepted this position) But in this company there is no benefit so far and even no vacation time for the first year and you have to take your own time to go to see a doctor,. Most importantly I feel there are not too many resources and very limited growth potential . Now a top company in my filed invited me for an onsite interview. It is a position that I really want and the work there is interesting . I did not list my current job on my resume since I have not officially started my work at this small company by the time I applied the new position. So the new company does not know I am working and I did not mention it in the phone interview ( they did not bring it up)

One friend said I should not bring this up and should possibly hide this short period if they do not bring it up at the interview. But it is hard to avoid it since I have moved to a different city( different address in my resume). I want to be honest and do not want to make up any reasons. He said the company would never hire a person who left work after just one month. I know it is about loyalty but the two companies are not comparable and I am ready to make commitment to the big company. I don't feel fair about this. The company can fire you anytime. Later I know the small company I am working for fired a girl after she worked there for a couple of months.

Another opinion is that I should bring my updated resume with this short working experience and bring it up at the onsite interview. It is better than they ask me about it. But then I have to explain to probably 7-8 people and that is pretty risky.

I am really anxious about it now. Since I just graduated, if I find another job, I would not even list this short working experience at all in my future resume but now it seems to be so hard to deal with.

List your current employer on your resume. Tell them you would prefer to work for them as their job would be more challenging. Don't mention any of your other complaints.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:14 PM

7 posts, read 9,008 times
You don't need to worry about it. Your story well explains why you come to the interview. There is nothing you should hide. but yeah don't complain about a current employer. just talk positive.

It would be negative on a resume when one keeps moving from one job to another every few months.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:22 PM

Thanks for the advice...I know I won't talk bad about my current employer....
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
List your current employer on your resume. Tell them you would prefer to work for them as their job would be more challenging. Don't mention any of your other complaints.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:25 PM

Thanks for your reply...this is my very first job and I would like to make commitment to a good company...I just wonder if I should bring it up myself or just use sort of "don't ask don't tell"....
Quote:
Originally Posted by iampakky View Post
You don't need to worry about it. Your story well explains why you come to the interview. There is nothing you should hide. but yeah don't complain about a current employer. just talk positive.

It would be negative on a resume when one keeps moving from one job to another every few months.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:29 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:

Honesty is the best policy; regardless of the outcome. No need to elaborate circumstances.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:46 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,160,663 times
Quote:
Thanks for your reply...this is my very first job and I would like to make commitment to a good company...I just wonder if I should bring it up myself or just use sort of "don't ask don't tell"....

Go ahead and bring it up yourself. As others have mentioned, honesty is best. They will admire your openness, and the fact that you are now working demonstrates your initiative. And while you don't want to be negative about your current employee, there's nothing wrong with explaining the reasons you are pursuing other options--more challenge, better opportunity for advancement, etc.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:50 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,262,828 times
You shouldn't put this current company on your resume. A resume should be tailored for each place you apply to. One month won't have anything relevant. Keep it off. A resume doesn't need to include every job. Just the ones that show off your goods.

I also wouldn't offer up the information. But if they ask you a direct (or nearly direct) question about it, then of course say you are. But you have a legitimate reason. No benefits/chance for professional development are fine reasons.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:17 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,160,663 times
^ Respectfully disagree, MrBo. Most hiring managers want to see a continous work history. If there are gaps, they usually ask why. If I'm interviewing this guy and find out that he's currently employed, especially in the same field, and it's not on his resume, I'm going to wonder what he's trying to hide. If he's an engineer and the current job is at McDonald's, then you may have a point. Otherwise, it could be considered a failure to disclose, in violation of the "this application/resume is true" statement that most hiring companies have you sign upon applying.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:32 PM

Thanks arby...I understand what you are saying.......the tricky part is that I did not officially started this job when I applied this position at the new company and signed the statement...but now I am working here...what do you suggest? Thanks a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
^ Respectfully disagree, MrBo. Most hiring managers want to see a continous work history. If there are gaps, they usually ask why. If I'm interviewing this guy and find out that he's currently employed, especially in the same field, and it's not on his resume, I'm going to wonder what he's trying to hide. If he's an engineer and the current job is at McDonald's, then you may have a point. Otherwise, it could be considered a failure to disclose, in violation of the "this application/resume is true" statement that most hiring companies have you sign upon applying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search