Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 09:15 PM

3,920 posts, read 6,835,417 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever done this and succeeded? Has anyone tried it and failed?

I work for a company that absolutely needs me. I manage a group of 10 while at the same time doing production. Its an absolute nightmare and I hate my work load. I typically work 65 hour weeks and we've lost 2 people in the past 3 weeks because they were burnt out. We even had 2 people turn down promotions because the pay wasn't worth the extra work (which were supposed to help alleviate my workload). I honestly work harder than anybody I know at the company and I am now at my wits end. I have been applying for jobs and have been successful in getting interviews but still no offer. At this point I would literally take a 10K pay cut to get back to having normal working hours. I KNOW I can demand a minimum 10K raise though if I go to them threatening to quit. My only concern is what if they call my bluff? I obviously need the paycheck. Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 09:22 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
I guess if they are in a bind they could go along with your demands while they search for your replacement.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:25 PM

3,920 posts, read 6,835,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I guess if they are in a bind they could go along with your demands while they search for your replacement.
I suppose its important to note that its such a specialized job that there is nobody who could ever replace me. Not saying I am that great, but I am the only one who knows the work inside and out. Plus I am underpaid as is for all that I do so even if they happened to find someone with my expertise, they would have to pay them more anyway.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:33 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,767,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I suppose its important to note that its such a specialized job that there is nobody who could ever replace me. Not saying I am that great, but I am the only one who knows the work inside and out. Plus I am underpaid as is for all that I do so even if they happened to find someone with my expertise, they would have to pay them more anyway.
If the job field is so narrow, its not likely that there will be a bunch of job openings for you to apply to.

This is a power move that you shouldn't make without a real fall back offer. There is no crawling back if they call your bluff and it wouldn't be a smart move to quit with nothing else lined up.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:35 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
I have to agree with the others. Playing games like this is never a good idea. If you feel you're underpaid, then compile some numbers and documentation to back that up and have a meeting with your manager.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:39 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:

I work for a company that absolutely needs me. I manage a group of 10 while at the same time doing production. Its an absolute nightmare and I hate my work load. I typically work 65 hour weeks and we've lost 2 people in the past 3 weeks because they were burnt out. We even had 2 people turn down promotions because the pay wasn't worth the extra work (which were supposed to help alleviate my workload). I honestly work harder than anybody I know at the company and I am now at my wits end. I have been applying for jobs and have been successful in getting interviews but still no offer. At this point I would literally take a 10K pay cut to get back to having normal working hours. I KNOW I can demand a minimum 10K raise though if I go to them threatening to quit. My only concern is what if they call my bluff? I obviously need the paycheck. Opinions?

Don't kid yourself into believing this because it is not true. If you quit they will replace you within days and they will more than likely hire 2 or 3 people and pay them less. Everyone can be replaced when it comes to working for someone else.
You can demand all you want but be prepared to get nothing and continue to work the same as you do right now.
You should also be prepared to take a number at the unemployment office as well just in case your demands are booted out of the door along with you.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:40 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
Depends on the company. A few places I worked people left and ended up coming back after they made them handsome offers, like huge increases in pay. I actually confronted my boss at this company and said that I had a pending offer (which in reality wasn't a lie, there was a company willing to start me out at a 20% increase in pay from what I was making). Instead of asking I was just telling him in regular conversation that companies were trying to recruit me, I guess my attempt to indirectly do what you are suggesting. I never pushed for it, so nothing happened with it.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:51 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:

Don't.

If I was your boss I'd tell you I was "considering it" while I searched for your replacement.

Most bosses loathe ultimatums and will wish you well while showing you the door.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:15 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Don't.

If I was your boss I'd tell you I was "considering it" while I searched for your replacement.

Most bosses loathe ultimatums and will wish you well while showing you the door.
Yup, I definitely wouldn't lie about an offer, because the above could take place and then you'd be out of a job.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:18 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
bad stuff you are working 65 hrs but paid for 40. please figure out your real hourly wage.
im guessing but i think you need some skills so you can leave that hell hole.
consider trade school??? consider working out of the country if those skills are not needed here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search