Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 11:42 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,362,948 times

Advertisements

I would never do that. Ever. It can cause nothing but trouble in the long run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 01:07 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,776,041 times
NO.
But I lived in more lenient times.

Old 08-02-2014, 03:10 AM

11,655 posts, read 13,026,637 times
I do, but only for adding jobs that I never did (I do not lie about my skills).

I'm new to the 'adult' world. I will soon finish college. My resume is rather appalling. They wouldn't hire people with no job experience. So I had to had a couple of 'fake' jobs just so the employers can take me seriously. I've been told that it's okay to lie in your resume. Just don't add major companies and such though.

Old 08-02-2014, 04:26 AM

11,409 posts, read 9,333,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToraG View Post
nothing wrong with lying on a resume. If it gets you the job, go for it.

In the interview say you can do everything and anything that the job skills require. When they hire you, it's the company's problem to train you anyways.

All these goodie goodies on here dont understand that lying on your resume is not the same as lying in your personal life. This is business.
You have that wrong.

It's your responsibility to have the skills needed to do the job.

Strongly disagree with this entire post. Lying is lying and it really bothers me. Lie about this and one will lie about anything. I wouldn't want anything to do with that person and if caught deserves to be fired. It called lack of character. I wouldn't want to be around such a person.
I ever lied on a resume and never will. If that's what it takes then I do not apply for the job.

It's sad to read how many here seem to have no conscience. I do not know what that's like.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:13 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,371,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleavery1948 View Post
You can lie about salary; however, I can usually figure out if the salary stated fits the job title. If you check the "do not contact" box, I will be suspicious, unless there is a valid reason to not contact that employer (business closed, manager/owner was caught in fraud, etc). I can validate whether those reasons are true. I can also check with the staffing agency which companies a prospective employee has worked for. Any lie can be found out, and any lie will likely end in termination. If you are going to lie, chances are, you will have to lie to cover-up.
Yes you CAN do any of those things, but employers usually don't. Usually the hiring manager doesn't get suspicious during the background check because they have nothing to do with it. It's handled by hr. It is amazing the details that my last two hiring managers didn't know or forgot. Like what my masters was in, graduation years, whether my degree was online or I lived in another state to be on campus, etc.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:00 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,041,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
You have that wrong.

Strongly disagree with this entire post. Lying is lying and it really bothers me. Lie about this and one will lie about anything. I wouldn't want anything to do with that person and if caught deserves to be fired. It called lack of character. I wouldn't want to be around such a person.
I ever lied on a resume and never will. If that's what it takes then I do not apply for the job.

It's sad to read how many here seem to have no conscience. I do not know what that's like.
Welcome to America 2014! Here's a cookie.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:01 AM

741 posts, read 919,187 times
We are living in cutthroat times. Horrible, scary job climate.
People are doing what they have to do to get work. A lesson I learned in life that I've found more and more accurate as the years go by: if your position is based on idealism and theories, it's always going to be inferior to a position based in reality. It's easy to take big, high-flying idealistic positions about people lying on resumes but in the real world, things are different.

The few occasions I've encountered resumes that for some reason got repulled post-hire, checked and didn't clear, I always took a very considerate approach to what I was looking at.

On two occasions, it was people who lied about the whole 'felony' thing. Most employers are hysterical about that, I understand the reality of life for people in that situation. We talked it out, its scary what is classified as a 'felony' these days, I let it pass. One now runs a successful business, the other is still with us and is a top employee. The other was someone who was just totally incompetent at their job, which made me question their academic background. Sure enough, they'd lied and I had to let them go.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:57 AM

11,409 posts, read 9,333,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
Welcome to America 2014! Here's a cookie.
I don't want your cookie.

Nor do I want to hang with liars.

I'd rather be alone if that is my choice.

I can find a job where I do not have to lie on a resume.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:45 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,496,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Plenty of employers knowingly and deliberately lie on interviews and after they hire you. They know well ahead of time they're going to screw with you later. Then when they do, you realize you were a seriously naive fool for being so "ethical" and "nice" and "honest." The lies start in the job description and salary. They finish when you send your former employer demand for payment letters and threaten to take them to Dept of Labor. When the employers start treating people with respect and being "ethical" that's when maybe candidates/employees can begin returning the favor. Since this will never happen, we do what we gotta do to put bread on the table.

the Golden Rule of Macchiavelli: treat others as they treat you.
At a previous position, people were told that the project would last a year. It didn't. Not only that, but with contracting and renewal issues, it seemed like the contract would go away, and they were STILL hiring people. I talked to some of those new hires, and they were told they would have a year. On top of that, a lot of the talent and folks who were able to do this job were people from out of state.

Employers need to be careful with the employees they hire, but employees need to be careful too, when they try to get jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Yes you CAN do any of those things, but employers usually don't. Usually the hiring manager doesn't get suspicious during the background check because they have nothing to do with it. It's handled by hr. It is amazing the details that my last two hiring managers didn't know or forgot. Like what my masters was in, graduation years, whether my degree was online or I lived in another state to be on campus, etc.
Curious, were you in a large company? I'm thinking if the team and/or company is small, then it's more likely they'd know the details of employees, and more of them. I still remember an interview I had a decade ago where the project manager was shocked when she heard I came in from out of state to attend the interview. Back then, I put my full address (with street number and name) on my resume, so I was surprised at that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
You have that wrong.

As human beings, it's our responsibility to find work to pay our bills. That can also mean saying the right things to get you the interview, to get hired, which in itself is another skill. Just like the corporations and companies, we still need to follow the law, but can get in trouble if caught.

BTW, there are statistics and surveys that show an alarming # of ivy league graduates have cheated in their academic studies. It's more rampant then many of us would care for. Sadly, some of these people are the ones who get ahead.

It may come from a Dilbert video clip, but it seems true... "So I'm better off being a famous screw up then a competent nobody?"

Old 08-02-2014, 04:09 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,815,182 times
I haven't flat out lied on my resume, but I have embellished a few things in my duties. I think a lot of people do that though. You've got to at least try to make yourself stand out.

The only thing I've ever lied about in the hiring process is my reason for leaving a position. It's much better to say "the company wasn't stable" than "my manager was a b*tch." Even in that case, I left the company on good terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search