Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 09:38 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaba View Post
We are living in cutthroat times. Horrible, scary job climate.
People are doing what they have to do to get work. A lesson I learned in life that I've found more and more accurate as the years go by: if your position is based on idealism and theories, it's always going to be inferior to a position based in reality. It's easy to take big, high-flying idealistic positions about people lying on resumes but in the real world, things are different.
well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
I don't want your cookie.

Nor do I want to hang with liars.

I'd rather be alone if that is my choice.

I can find a job where I do not have to lie on a resume.
See above!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
I haven't flat out lied on my resume, but I have embellished a few things in my duties. I think a lot of people do that though. You've got to at least try to make yourself stand out.

The only thing I've ever lied about in the hiring process is my reason for leaving a position. It's much better to say "the company wasn't stable" than "my manager was a b*tch." Even in that case, I left the company on good terms.
Where is the line between an embellishment and a lie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 09:41 AM

19 posts, read 78,804 times
embelishing

instead of a janitor you are "a master of custodial arts"

lying is

graduated with a degree in law from harvard when in reality you took some night school at the junior college

Old 08-03-2014, 10:18 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,480 times
The American hiring process has become a wild west shootout gallery circus. Between the ridiculous requirements, useless psych tests, dumb@ss interview questions that remind me of McCarthyism in the 50s, online application tracking systems that are irreparably broken that only serve to screen out...The "scarlet letter" type deep bias against the unemployed and those over 50...I can go on and on but we don't have the time nor space.

I support anyone who uses any Macciavellian method to get hired these days. Employers deserve it. Yea really.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:19 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,480 times
When in Rome do as the Romans.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:37 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,459,596 times
The OP question is slightly irrelevant:
1) for most decisive details you need to bring proof. These details will be verified by the employer. (Unless you plan to fake a Harvard PhD diploma, which puts you in a different category).
2) if you lie about minor details (that employers don't bother checking) it's not important to begin with.
3) the more interesting question is what to do when employers lie or misrepresent the job/ company... In this case the potential employee doesnt have the necessary tools (especially with private companies) to verify the data provided at the interview....

Old 08-04-2014, 07:25 AM

217 posts, read 314,251 times
Listen, all you goodie goodies..... lying to a corporation is not the same as lying in your personal life.

Once you finally figure that out, you wont be taken advantage of at work, such as not being paid for handling responsibilities outside your job description.

All of you that say you never lie on your resume or to the employer are full of it.

Like others have said on here, companies lie all the time, and always try to get employees for the lowest possible price someone is willing to work, on top of tons of unethical things that occur in the background that you're not aware of.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:27 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToraG View Post
Listen, all you goodie goodies..... lying to a corporation is not the same as lying in your personal life.

Once you finally figure that out, you wont be taken advantage of at work, such as not being paid for handling responsibilities outside your job description.

All of you that say you never lie on your resume or to the employer are full of it.

Like others have said on here, companies lie all the time, and always try to get employees for the lowest possible price someone is willing to work, on top of tons of unethical things that occur in the background that you're not aware of.

What a sad place you live.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:15 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToraG View Post

Lying is never good. I wouldn't lie about my degrees but I will emphasize my skills to a considerable degree. Out light lying can and will get you fired.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:10 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleavery1948 View Post

When I interview people, one or more questions are pertinent to their resume; I usually can weed out the liars, because they do not expect a question regarding their resumes. For example, I might ask "So, you say that you led a team project at work; can you give me an example of how you led your team, what were the results, and what conflicts arose, and how those issues were solved?". If they claim that they did something in particular, I may ask a few questions about that particular accomplishment; if they fail to answer questions accurately, I will know that they are lying. For example, I may ask "so you did payroll? What system did you use? Were you required to cut the checks (the answer should be NO if you entered the amount of hours into the system, unless you owned your own business)? How did you address discrepancies in hours logged?". I may also ask questions in regards to internal control, segregation of duties (the one writing the check, depositing the check to the bank, and the one recording cannot be the same person). Likewise, in the purchasing cycle (the one authorizing the purchase and the one recording it cannot be the same person, just like the one recording the accounts payable, or writing the ledger cannot be the one writing the check to the vendor) and revenue cycles (the one recording in accounts receivables cannot be the one who writes the invoice, or even receives or has custody of the asset. Obviously, the person who audits such recordings shall be a different person), certain duties must be separated. If someone claimed to do two tasks which are to be segregated, I will assume that they are lying.
You are exactly correct on the SHOULD portion of your explanation. However there are many organizations that do not properly practice separation of duties. Many years ago I was in a purchasing position, where I cut POs, oversaw the receiving staff that verified receipt, and authorized invoices for payment. Not only that, I was one of the two required signatures on checks.

It would have been incredibly easy to generate a fake PO, tell one of my PT receiving staff to initial a receiving document, authorize the invoice for payment, and hVe the check sent to a PO Box to collect later.

This is obviously not a good setup, but that is how this company worked.

Your questions will uncover not only those who lie on their résumé, but also those who did legitimately do the job, albeit in a substandard fashion. Win:win for you really, I am simply pointing out for others that you are describing an ideal process, not the one that may actually exist in many places.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:56 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times
Sort of. I embellished mine a bit by eliminating "interim" on one of my positions in a company from about 10 years back. I did work at the company and did hold the position in question for a while, but I resigned before it became a permanent position.

No one that I worked with that that job is still there, plus it was the 4th line down on my work experience and not relevant to the jobs I was seeking when using that version of my resume. If needed, I could describe the duties & how I performed them just as if I had been permanent.

It's a bad idea to fabricate things that can be easily verified - ie: whether or not you worked somewhere or earned a particular degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search