Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 03:19 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,788,872 times

Advertisements

I got a job 5 months after losing out to the top candidate. It was a fairly competitive internship, and I guess I was too thrilled about the opportunity to question it.

Turned out they had gotten approval to hire more people, and the other hire and I ended up sharing a space. He really was well-qualified, and we got along great. We're still in touch to this day.

However, when I got there, I found out that people were expecting drama since apparently there had been a bit of a face-off over which of us to chose. I think part of the reason there was no awkwardness was that I was genuinely excited to have a chance to work with that particular company, was itching to get in there and learn, and wasn't about to waste time feeling slighted. In the end I think he was a little (professionally) envious of me since I got to work on the really cool new, prototype stuff.

I will also note that us getting along was really beneficial professionally. People saw me as someone who came in, brushed drama to the side, and established good working relationships. It was a great note to start my career on, and I have been mindful of that lesson ever since. Every time I've had the opportunity to feel slighted, or carry a grudge - I have turned that situation into one where I take the high road, and it has always paid off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 03:33 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,502,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
Considering the last person left so quickly, it could be a red flag. At the same time, this could be a great opportunity to take control of the situation and turn things in your favor. They are at your mercy now, so ask for much higher pay, starting bonus, better benefits, etc. Even better if you found another position or are unemployed. Good luck.
Oops, just reread my post and realized I said unemployed instead of employed. Last sentence should read "Better if you found another position or at employed".

I also agree that it's unwise to question why you didn't get hired.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:47 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,939,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip_Chick54 View Post
About 5 months ago, I interviewed with a company for a position which I felt more than qualified. There were three interviews and I remember the last interview lasted for 4 hours. I met everyone in the company and felt as if I got the job.
Well, I didn't.
I got an email right after that interview that they've chosen another candidate and good luck with my job search.

Fast forward to today...I got a voicemail from the CEO that said "Hi xxxx....we interviewed you a while ago and want to know if you are still on the market for the position. We feel you are the right fit. Please call....blah blah blah. Everyone is expecting your call. Thanks"

Now, I know that the person they hired left. Would it be okay for me to ask why they didnt pick me in the first place? What questions would you ask? Please let me know. I value all your opinions.

Thanks!
I wouldn't ask any controversial questions at the interview. You obviously made a good impression on them as they called you back when the job became available a second time. If get the job you will find out what happened. The truth always comes out. You just need to be patient.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:56 PM

7,934 posts, read 7,841,732 times
A FOUR hour interview? I've never heard of one lasting that long. Heck I've had Thanksgiving dinners not even that long.

Could you describe that to kinda put this in context?

I've heard back from some in months and probably the person left or was canned. The only thing longer then this might be with a civil service test which I've seen can last a few years.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:00 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,226,211 times
Quote:
About 5 months ago, I interviewed with a company for a position which I felt more than qualified. There were three interviews and I remember the last interview lasted for 4 hours. I met everyone in the company and felt as if I got the job.
Well, I didn't.
I got an email right after that interview that they've chosen another candidate and good luck with my job search.

Fast forward to today...I got a voicemail from the CEO that said "Hi xxxx....we interviewed you a while ago and want to know if you are still on the market for the position. We feel you are the right fit. Please call....blah blah blah. Everyone is expecting your call. Thanks"

Now, I know that the person they hired left. Would it be okay for me to ask why they didnt pick me in the first place? What questions would you ask? Please let me know. I value all your opinions.

Thanks!
Don't take it personally. Just let them discuss it if they feel the need. Otherwise, you'll kind of sound bitter about it.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:52 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,998,446 times
If they do not volunteer how the position became open again, Big Red Flag, Big, Big Red Flag.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:53 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,998,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You don't know for certain that the person before you left. The person may have been let go.
Either way, the employER messed up.

Old 08-06-2014, 05:40 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,297,328 times
Quote:
Well, I didn't.

Thanks!
If it's a job I still wanted I wouldn't say a thing but when do I start. Prove they made a mistake the first go around....unless something better comes along in four months and they can send a email to the third place winner.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:02 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,136,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
Considering the last person left so quickly, it could be a red flag. At the same time, this could be a great opportunity to take control of the situation and turn things in your favor. They are at your mercy now, so ask for much higher pay, starting bonus, better benefits, etc. Even better if you found another position or are unemployed. Good luck.
Hip_Chick54,

This is a great response from the_grimace. Do you really want to be the next guinea pig, after the last guy left so quickly?

My example may help. A while back, I was employed as part of a 4-member team. The team had gone through 5 people in less than a year. That's 125% turnover. I didn't know it, when I accepted the job. Within 5 months, I was pulling my hair out and turned in my resignation.

In this particular case, it wasn't a hiring mistake with the new employees. The mistake was the company's environment for employees. People were jumping ship for better pay and better work environments.

Last edited by move4ward; 08-06-2014 at 07:47 PM..

Old 08-06-2014, 07:34 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,658,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Either way, the employER messed up.
I guess I don't see it that way, Bob. Any of my previous reasons could have been the cause, and things like a spouse having to relocate, an ill relative, etc., cannot be predicted by the hiring manager.

But I do strongly agree with you that some explanation would normally be made early on in the meeting - and if they don't just offer it without being asked, it's a big red flag. Great advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search