Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 11:55 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,808,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
You thought you could just show up whenever?
where did you say that????

She sounded like she was doing the best she can given that she was still 2 months after major cancer surgery.
Yeah, you do sound a bit mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Hi Di,

I am not sure I understand why you handled the move the way you did and the time it took you to get out there

You almost make it sound like you were trying to save them money by shopping/price comparing the movers cost. Not that you would want to be frivolous with their money, but if they were paying, why not just pick a carrier and go? Also why not have them box everything in a morning rather than you doing it over X amount of time?
Second, why drive across the country instead of having your car shipped and flying out? No offense, but if you are a 60 year old woman with some previous health issues, driving across the country alone is not such a good idea.
You misunderstood the part that they were NOT paying for the moving expenses.

They gave her a signing bonus, but she is responsible for all expenses.

Being a reasonable person she did some comparison shopping.

Having just helped my mother move from Ohio to NJ, you do need to compare.

She didn't have her car shipped because this is the high season for movers.
I know; my mom moved in late June of last year. All the movers told us we needed to tell them in May what her schedule was.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:59 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,428,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieee488 View Post
where did you say that????

She sounded like she was doing the best she can given that she was still 2 months after major cancer surgery.
Yeah, you do sound a bit mean.
OP didn't state that she communicated her recovery issues with the Hiring Committee. Also when youre applying for any job, one of the first questions is "Is there any reason that you are unable to fulfill any of these duties, please explain." If the OP was in a recovery period from a major surgery then perhaps accepting a new position 1000 miles away wasn't a good choice in the here and now. This all sounds to me like a serious lack of proper planning and communication. Look at it from the hiring manager's point of view.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
OP didn't state that she communicated her recovery issues with the Hiring Committee. Also when youre applying for any job, one of the first questions is "Is there any reason that you are unable to fulfill any of these duties, please explain." If the OP was in a recovery period from a major surgery then perhaps accepting a new position 1000 miles away wasn't a good choice in the here and now. This all sounds to me like a serious lack of proper planning and communication. Look at it from the hiring manager's point of view.
She needed the job.

She did not realize the toll the long distance move would take on her.

Are you telling me you'd give up the job and tell them "no thanks"?
Her last job had ended.

Communicate her recovery issues with the Hiring Committee?
Try floating that idea around here.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
She needed the job.

She did not realize the toll the long distance move would take on her.

Are you telling me you'd give up the job and tell no "no thanks"?
Her last job had ended.
Everybody "needs" a job. Whether youre capable of performing or even getting there to the job is something you have to consider before hand. A sob story is not a reason for asking a hiring manager repeatedly for more time. I work with contract workers all the time who give story after story about why they couldn't show up for work. Eventually you start getting numb to all of the stories because you have no idea who is lying, and who is genuine. Like I said look at it from the company's perspective.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Everybody "needs" a job. Whether youre capable of performing or even getting there to the job is something you have to consider before hand. A sob story is not a reason for asking a hiring manager repeatedly for more time. I work with contract workers all the time who give story after story about why they couldn't show up for work. Eventually you start getting numb to all of the stories because you have no idea who is lying, and who is genuine. Like I said look at it from the company's perspective.
Wait till the shoe is on YOUR foot.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Wait till the shoe is on YOUR feet.
Ok clearly you cant see beyond the sob story to see where the OP went wrong here. Learning from your mistakes and applying them in the future is a key skill in adults. Im wondering if youre just the kind of employee who thinks a company should bend over backwards repeatedly to accommodate an employees issues.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:17 PM

Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

From the company's point of view, its just another "sob story" in the bucket. We hear stories all day long and 9 times out of 10 they are LIES. Sure that sucks for the occasional person that does have a bad stroke of luck, but if more people weren't such liars then it wouldn't hurt the few people who do have true issues.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-02-2014 at 01:06 PM..

Old 09-02-2014, 12:21 PM

Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

She thought she was capable. She was wrong.
I guess you've never been wrong in your life, huh?

Whether I sound like an angel or not, doesn't really matter.
People like you are part of the corporate problem.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-02-2014 at 01:07 PM..

Old 09-02-2014, 12:25 PM

3,925 posts, read 6,840,880 times
Quote:
According to Google Maps, it is 2100 miles from Los Angeles to Indianapolis, Indiana.

7/30 - first day 225 miles
7/31 - 2nd day 225 miles
8/1 - 3rd day 225 miles
8/2 - 4th day 225 miles
8/3 - 5th day 225 miles
8/4 - 6th day 225 miles
8/5 - one day rest
8/6 - 1st day of sinus infection
8/7 - 2nd day of sinus infection
8/8 - 3rd day of sinus infection
8/9 - 4th day of sinus infection
8/10 - go into ER
8/11 - 1st day of rest per Dr.
8/12 - 2nd day of rest per Dr.
8/13 - 3rd day of rest per Dr.
8/14 - 7th day of 225 miles
8/15 - 8th day 225 miles
8/16 - 9th day of 225 miles

comes out to 9 * 225 miles = 2025 miles to me
225 miles per day? Some people literally bike that far in a day (google double century bike ride). That would be at most 4 hours of driving only. I just can't fathom that kind of "progress". As another poster mentioned. If the OP cannot drive for more than 4 hours a day then I don't know why they would even consider a road trip across the country. My 81 year old grandma drove up to Chicago from Florida not too long ago in her RV. Granted she wasn't alone but it also only took her a couple of days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search