Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 08:49 PM

51 posts, read 98,820 times

Advertisements

will try the community college suggestion for sure, there is one very close to where I live. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 09:52 PM

881 posts, read 1,815,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabiya View Post
You're a woman and have 12 years of IT experience.

Guys in the tech sector don't want their e-peens belittled by hiring a woman that knows better than them. Sad, but this is how it is. And people wonder why women don't bother in the hard sciences; Tech, Engineering, etc.

It's because they are STILL being ostracized for being in a "male dominated" career.
As a woman who has work in high tech for the last 14 years, in startups and large companies in Silicon Valley, you got NO IDEA what you are talking about.

The problem is not tailoring her resume for the role she is applying for. i.e. If she has experience in IT for a telco, but am trying for a similar role for IT at a bank, she need to emphasis which of her IT skill and experience would cross over to banking.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:57 PM

41 posts, read 86,708 times
I don't have an example to post, but i think cover letters should always be sent with resumes, and they should briefly address specifically HOW you're qualified for the position. First paragraph - intro/greeting with the position stated that you're applying for and a few sentences of how you can fill the need, matching your skills with specific needs listed on the posting.

So, something like - Dear Hiring Manager (although better if you can find their name on LinkedIn or something), attached is my resume for the xxxxx position. I have xxxx years experience in the field and this position would be a great fit for me....

Second paragraph - reiterate interest/thank you for considering my resume. I look forward to discussing how my skills and experience can benefit xxxxx company. Please feel free to contact me at any time.

Sincerely,
xxxx xxxxx

-------------- Just an outline above, but hopefully the idea makes sense. I've seen enough resumes to know that most (at least in tech) are cluttered, aren't customized to the wants of the position, and don't include a cover letter. If an employer sees you make the effort to stand out and can more easily discern from a quick glance that you have the skills, your chances of getting an interview should greatly increase.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:22 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
I like to make it easy for the hiring manager, my cover letter includes 4-5 key bullet points to detail my relevant experience/key skills. Then they don't have to dig in my resume.

The bullets are something like, lets say you are a sales person: experienced in enterprise sales and generated $20M in net new revenue in one year

In the cover letter, i'll share one personalized reason i'd be great for the position. I.e. With x years of experience doing xyz, i have learned xyz that would really help your company.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:53 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
Years ago, I used monster.com for guidance on cover letters. Most recently, I've used the "Knock 'em Dead" series by Martin Yates. I actually prefer his advice.

Cover Letter Samples - Cover Letter Examples for Different Careers & Industries | Monster
https://knockemdead.com/
http://www.bbj.org/Docs/Cover%20Lett...hem%20Dead.pdf

Old 09-04-2014, 07:27 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,116,614 times
Maybe you're getting stiffed for H1B hiring instead.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:40 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
Maybe you're getting stiffed for H1B hiring instead.
More likely being stiffed by people with customized resumes. I am in the Dallas job market also. I have been a part of 2 mass layoffs in Texas and the IT people were the first to find land a job.

I customize my resume and got about a 50% response rate. I had 15 resumes sent and had 8 call backs. It was done earlier, this year.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:46 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepika1977 View Post
I send the same resume to all listings. could you please give an example on how to tailor the resume for every posting. I never heard of that. thanks!
Get out of the house and join some career development meetups, groups, ministries, etc. Get live and in-person feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search