Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 03:28 PM

51 posts, read 98,778 times

Advertisements

We moved to the Dallas area with my husbands job. I was hoping with the market being better than Kansas, I could easily get placed with over 12 years of IT experience. I started applying since May hoping to be placed my September.

The basic analyst jobs have ended up in rejection emails. I cringe everytime I see the dreaded email that directly or indirectly states "we found a better candidate with stronger experience". I have reached out to placement agencies, registered in every hiring website I know. What am I doing wrong here? Wondering if anyone can critique my resume here. We do need another income and the stability would be nice. Is the market here that competitive? Maybe we should have stayed back in Kansas

Willing to do anything that gets me out of the house and working asap. I am so discouraged taking countless assessments and hearing nothing for weeks and then the rejection email of finding someone better and more qualified with stronger work experience. I am not asking for six figures. Something basic to start out would be nice. Please Please suggest. Thanks for your time.

Last edited by deepika1977; 09-03-2014 at 04:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 06:02 PM

anyone??? especially HR in dallas area...please share some resume writing tips that can be eye catching

Old 09-03-2014, 06:18 PM

41 posts, read 86,667 times
Maybe contact some local recruiters? They should be able to offer something and give you an idea of your marketability when they know your background.

Do you tailor your resume/cover letter to each position you're applying for? IMO that is a must. Most people just fire off the same resume to different companies, and fail to customize each one to the specific job title and requirements. I paid for a professional resume a few years ago and it helped greatly.

Best of luck!

Old 09-03-2014, 06:43 PM

I send the same resume to all listings. could you please give an example on how to tailor the resume for every posting. I never heard of that. thanks!

Old 09-03-2014, 06:51 PM

928 posts, read 1,101,055 times
Start by postin resume here an by describing your job searching process step by step.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:52 PM

659 posts, read 940,220 times
You're a woman and have 12 years of IT experience.

Guys in the tech sector don't want their e-peens belittled by hiring a woman that knows better than them. Sad, but this is how it is. And people wonder why women don't bother in the hard sciences; Tech, Engineering, etc.

It's because they are STILL being ostracized for being in a "male dominated" career.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:35 PM

22,560 posts, read 47,614,734 times
sooooo not true - at least for the women I know!

Old 09-03-2014, 08:09 PM

928 posts, read 1,101,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabiya View Post

Guys in the tech sector don't want their e-peens belittled by hiring a woman that knows better than them. Sad, but this is how it is. And people wonder why women don't bother in the hard sciences; Tech, Engineering, etc.

It's because they are STILL being ostracized for being in a "male dominated" career.
Do we really need your negativity and loser attitude on here? I mean really? Really?

Old 09-03-2014, 08:13 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,916,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabiya View Post

Or maybe it's because she's not qualified? Or maybe because she sends out the exact same resume to each job posting?

Old 09-03-2014, 08:29 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepika1977 View Post
Something basic to start out would be nice. Please Please suggest. Thanks for your time.
You might also look into IT positions at the community and 4-year colleges. You might be supervising the Help Desk or helping instructors develop content in Blackboard, but it would pay better than Best Buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search