Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 11:09 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,203,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Actually, I think it's the ones that agree with the OP that have trouble getting and/or keeping jobs because of this attitude.
No I don't think so. Its because of hr never asking the proper questions and relying on ignorant assumption and pop psych bullcrap tests to decide who gets hired.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:13 AM

17,206 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
No I don't think so. Its because of hr never asking the proper questions and relying on ignorant assumption and pop psych bullcrap tests to decide who gets hired.
I've realized that this occurs mostly with cookie-cutter, gigantic, high-turnover firms (telemarketing, data-entry, etc).
Companies requiring certain skills for the job don't benefit from those silly tests, and know which questions to ask during interviews.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:33 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobSeeker101 View Post
They began in 1989 and cover 49 states, so not exactly tiny, but not industry leading big either. No, it seems that salary was set in stone. They kept preaching how special they are for offering training into this career and how no one else does it. Literally every decent insurance company offers their own adjuster trainee program, so that was a blatant lie that I suppose they try to sell to unsuspecting recent college grads. Thankfully, I like to do my research.
Then it seems like a low-ball offer perhaps but there aren't known standard deviations for the job type and the pay across all the companies. Perhaps they were within one standard deviation below the mean.

The training could be true or a varying degree of truth. It maybe a specific training they use or no one else do or it is just puffery or the way they train certain parts of the business.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:57 AM

534 posts, read 1,170,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
+1.

And for all the OP knows, the budget got cut after he was interviewed, so they ended up hiring no one at all. For all he knows, they were about to offer him a job but couldn't. You can't second guess these things unless you know someone on the inside. Time to put it behind him and move on already.
That's just it. There are so many things that an applicant does not know about a given hiring process.

They could have not only lost funding for the position in question, but other factors could have been at play which caused the negative perceptions he got from the rest of the hiring process: maybe they only had a single admin person available to send out notifications (which is why one might get an 'impersonal' e-mail), maybe there were so many applicants who were in a tight race for the job that they wanted additional interviews, etc.

Bottom line is that you never know what's going on behind the scenes, and to automatically assume it's unethical or someone is treating you "like garbage" is quite a stretch, in my opinion.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:59 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Puh-leaze.

What attitude? That they don't want to be mistreated?
Aren't you still looking for a job after you harangued that guy for weeks to hire you through his cousin after he texted a vague sentence about maybe hiring you? How did that work out?

Old 12-30-2014, 12:37 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:

HR doesn't decide who gets hired. Your argument might be valid if they were screening for candidates.
OP went though the interview process and there was absolutely nothing unethical about it. Had OP been offered the position, there wouldn't even be a rant post.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:23 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,947,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Aren't you still looking for a job after you harangued that guy for weeks to hire you through his cousin after he texted a vague sentence about maybe hiring you? How did that work out?
That's not what happened, but I suspect you already know that. You just can't resist making strawman arguments, I guess.

Yet you have the audacity to claim that OP wouldn't be a good employee?

It is written:

In the mean time, when there were gathered together an innumerable multitude of people, insomuch that they trode one upon another, he began to say unto his disciples first of all, Beware ye of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy.
Luke 12:1

Old 12-30-2014, 01:57 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobSeeker101 View Post
Can confirm. Most productive and dependable employee at a small company for two years straight (we have a computer system to prove it and track amount of work performed). Over those two years I was only given a full dollar raise. Bosses and coworkers only came into work when they felt like it, and only worked a small amount most days. Why did they all get away with this? Because they were buddies and liked to gossip about the same trivial stuff all day. I was around for many candidates interviews, and she only hired the ones she thought she might get along with on a personal level, didn't have much to do with who would perform well. Is what it is. That's how I figured out that typical office culture wasn't for me.
This post ^^^ is a perfect example of what will keep you from success.

You don't have enough experience to know what the "typical office culture" even looks like.

You worked for ONE SMALL COMPANY, yet you're now able to write off the entire work world because you had a bad boss???

If you keep thinking like that, you will end up misinformed and cynical like a couple of the academics who post here.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:08 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,203,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
HR doesn't decide who gets hired. Your argument might be valid if they were screening for candidates.
OP went though the interview process and there was absolutely nothing unethical about it. Had OP been offered the position, there wouldn't even be a rant post.
Really? Then who selects the candidates hmm? And why was he subjected to four interviews? Its your argument that is invalid.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:12 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,812 times
Quote:
Really? Then who selects the candidates hmm?
Depends on the company, you'd be surprised how many resumes and submissions go directly to a hiring manager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search