Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 05:40 AM

486 posts, read 992,872 times

Advertisements

Not really.

Today I applied for a "Teller" position at a local credit union. I am assuming the job only pays between $10-12/hr but I figure I better keep the job search energy flowing and since there are NO new jobs to apply for in my local area..

Of course I have to create a login and password and apply on the credit union's website. I uploaded my pdf resume and then I spent 30 minutes retyping my resume in the little starred boxes. Joy! I filled out the "are you a disable veteran / are you a felon / are you white" forms. I typed in my three references.

Then I hit the apply button.

Good to go! I applied for another new job today!

Oh wait...no I didn't.

An email pops into my box from the credit union stating I need to go to some BS website and fill out a "work questionnaire." I figure, what the hell, if it is a spam email, and the questions are too personal I won't bother filling them out.

I click on the link to the "work questionnaire" website and it is 18 pages of questions. Basically they provide 8 statements on each of the 18 pages, and you have to sort the statements top to bottom (top being the statement fits you the best).

Okey dokey.

Each page pretty much has the same statements, such as:

"I like working with people."
"I prefer to work with a capable leader"
"I don't mind sitting for hours at a time"

I sort the statements in the order that fits me on each of the 18 pages. I then hit the apply button. I should be good to go!

Hell no...

I get a pop up box with the following message:

"It seems you are not concentrating on the questions, please go back and resort the questions. Remember there is no right or wrong answer"

Hell no.

I am not going to waste my time (of which I have a lot seeing as I am unemployed) and resort questions for some computer program that was programmed like crap from some BS HR/Taleo company from India. I may be unemployed, but I am NOT stupid, and I have better things to do with my time including staring at a blank wall.

So, needless to say THAT application didn't go through. Thank God for online applications!

I need some good luck. Good luck will get me a job, not filling out some damn BS online questionnaire of which no one will ever look at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 08:15 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
I will go ahead and wish you good luck, but also offer a tip: For most employers, the first test to separate the serious candidates from those just meeting the requirements for unemployment benefits is the lengthy, complicated application process. They have a job opening, and you want a job. That gives them all the power, so you have to play their game if you want any chance of getting their job.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:26 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
I actually love the job applications that are long and time consuming. I applied for one awhile back when I was having no luck. The application asked some interview type questions with free form boxes to type in. It had about 20 questions that required paragraph responses.

I'm guessing most people use the spray and pray technique and don't answer these questions or if they do just write a few words and don't put much thought into it. Well, I set aside a few hours and answered all 20 questions with long well thought out answers. I ended up getting an interview when I was having no luck elsewhere. I'm convinced it's partially because I made it through the process and actually provided more info than most. I like these that weed out those who don't want to spend any time.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I will go ahead and wish you good luck, but also offer a tip: For most employers, the first test to separate the serious candidates from those just meeting the requirements for unemployment benefits is the lengthy, complicated application process. They have a job opening, and you want a job. That gives them all the power, so you have to play their game if you want any chance of getting their job.
I answered the BS questionnaire. The problem was the computer bot/programmed algorithm didn't like that I answered (sorted) the 18 page questions in less than 20 minutes. I am sorry, I work fast, I don't need to concentrate for 20 minutes on a simple process. That's how I roll.

If I had waited out the entire 20 minutes I wouldn't have received the "error message" filling out the BS questionnaire. I guess they want to see if you are a slow worker? Well, I was applying to a bank, so yeah, fast workers need not apply.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:51 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,547,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
I answered the BS questionnaire. The problem was the computer bot/programmed algorithm didn't like that I answered (sorted) the 18 page questions in less than 20 minutes. I am sorry, I work fast, I don't need to concentrate for 20 minutes on a simple process. That's how I roll.
And the job was dealing with other people's money. I wouldn't want you near it if that is how you "roll"

Maybe being a janitor?

Old 05-10-2016, 12:38 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,903,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
And the job was dealing with other people's money. I wouldn't want you near it if that is how you "roll"

Maybe being a janitor?
That's actually very poor criteria to use in judging whether the OP can perform well as a teller. This is a very basic standard questionnaire which I've seen tons of times for different jobs. It's probably the same one that I breezed through in 10 minutes when I filled it out on paper when I got my first job at the grocery store ten years ago. If a co-worker comes to work drunk what would you do, etc. BS like that. It ain't rocket science!

Old 05-10-2016, 12:51 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,791,878 times
So this was just another rant....

Old 05-10-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post

Maybe being a janitor?
I am willing to work as a janitor, do you have a job available?

Seriously.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
So this was just another rant....
Yes it was....

Old 05-10-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
That's actually very poor criteria to use in judging whether the OP can perform well as a teller. This is a very basic standard questionnaire which I've seen tons of times for different jobs. It's probably the same one that I breezed through in 10 minutes when I filled it out on paper when I got my first job at the grocery store ten years ago. If a co-worker comes to work drunk what would you do, etc. BS like that. It ain't rocket science!
I agree. It is a poor criteria for judging an applicant online. Just more BS online forms to supposedly weed people out that has nothing to do with one's work experience or skills.

You are correct filling out the form was not rocket science, and it took me only about 10 minutes, but I guess that was too fast. Oh well. I really cannot please anyone, anywhere, anyhow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search