Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 09:15 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,817,281 times

Advertisements

In my experience, maybe just bad luck, but every single company that has given me an offer took a long time to get me a written. The last 2 offers I got it was a solid week (5 business days) between verbal and written. If you think about that, including weekends, that's a long time I had to wait. That leaves a huge grey area for a company to possibly change their mind

To answer my own question - no it hasn't happened to me before, but I am afraid it will with this current opp. To be more specific, I received a verbal offer this morning, was told it would be pending reference checks and to send the him (hiring manager) my references ASAP so he could call them ASAP today. I know I'm using ASAP a lot because he kept saying ASAP himself. He told me if all went well I would expect a written offer by EOD. Well, he never even called any of my references (so obviously no offer), and it has me wondering why he kept telling me to send them to him ASAP when he didn't even make any calls...

I know someone is going to say 'well he probably got caught up in something and just got busy'...seriously pple, he told me ASAP many times, he knows his own afternoon calendar schedule, something just seems a bit odd here

So anyone have any bad experiences? Or is it just the norm to wait forever...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 09:20 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
It's just been one day for you, so calm down. Anything could have happened.

Give them at least a few days to process everything. If you don't hear anything by next Tuesday, then send them a email to follow-up on the status of your offer.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:33 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Waiting a few hours or even a week is not 'waiting forever'.

I've never seen anyone who was having a panic attack about not hearing back get the job any sooner, so there's no gain in freaking out. All you can do is hope for the best and keep looking. Ruminating about why he didn't call isn't going to help you in any way.

Would you be happier if someone posted, "Why yes, that does seem odd. He probably changed his mind after you left and you're definitely not getting the job"?

I don't think so, yet that does seem to be the answer you're looking for.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:35 PM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Yes, once. I believe it was due to budget.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:37 PM

310 posts, read 686,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
In my experience, maybe just bad luck, but every single company that has given me an offer took a long time to get me a written. The last 2 offers I got it was a solid week (5 business days) between verbal and written. If you think about that, including weekends, that's a long time I had to wait. That leaves a huge grey area for a company to possibly change their mind.
5 business days is a pretty quick turn-around considering that most companies run a background check which can easily take 8-10 business days (depending on provider, complexity).

In your current case I find it extremely unlikely that you will go from no reference checks done to a written offer in a single day.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:38 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
And yes, now that I think about it, I was once offered a job (given a time and day to start) after a phone and in-person interview, to only be contacted 2 days before my start date and told not to come in.

I can't remember what the exact reason was. I think it was because they were delaying the project due to budget problems. I never received a call back though, and I didn't bother to follow back up with them because of the hell they took me through to even land the job (long story).

Old 10-21-2014, 09:44 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,485,479 times
Yes, it happened to me once. It was due to unexpected budget problems.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:10 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,570,318 times
Yes. Did all the preliminaries to include salary, W 2s, and a start date and then called me and said they ''hired within''.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:39 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Didn't something like this happen to Boosane? He was told in the end that there wasn't enough money in the budget, if I recall correctly.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:30 PM

379 posts, read 785,794 times
This has happened to me twice. In both cases, it was because funding didn't come through and the position was cancelled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search