Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 02:04 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Bound View Post
I understand that. I am not looking for who says the number first, any prepared person knows they value no matter what an offer is. I am looking for input in regards to the negotiation taking place in person the the spot or giving it time, etc. See post above.
I wuld not expect them to mention salary at all. They will discuss salary with the person they extend the offer to, and that will probably be a phone conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 04:36 PM

920 posts, read 634,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Bound View Post
Hello all! This is my first time posting on this forum. From what I have read, everyone seems to be very helpful and honest. I recently had an interview for a position in a much larger city across the country (Midwest to West Coast) and I was hoping to get some input on everything. A few notes on how this interview came to fruition:

1. My resume was given the management team that is handling the hire by someone way up their food chain that I was connected with. I came highly recommended to them by influential people directly involved in their business.

2. I am qualified for this position. I have areas of strength and weakness but all in all would be a good hire if just looking at resume/qualifications and accomplishments.

3. After applying to the position, I was contacted within 24 hours to have a phone interview for the position with two individuals (hiring manager and what sounded to be their boss as well). They made it clear that they are looking to hire someone soon as the position has been open for a period of time in search of a "great candidate".

4. The interview went extremely well. Very conversational. We were very direct and open about how my resume reached them and they seemed very receptive and positive about all of it. As the conversation went on we all got along very well. We were laughing about common interests and they were giving compliments on my responses and the conversation as a whole. Being that the job is within a part of the country I have never been, they started to really dig into what the job is like and exactly where I would be located. By the end of the conversation, the boss of the hiring manager said that he has "really enjoyed the conversation" and that he would like to take the next step in the process.

5. We left the conversation on a high note and they offered to fly me out so I could see the office and meet/interview them in person. They have since set me up with their staff to arrange the flight and hotel.

6. We had some difficulty finding dates that worked for the flight out so I was put in touch with the hiring manager again to talk dates. We got on the topic of the job location again and the hiring manager really started to sell me on the area and what there is to do etc. We also started to talk about neighborhoods of where I could live, how much I could expect to pay in rent, what my schedule would look like as far as coming into the office etc. It was all very positive and leading in the right direction.

I am not the kinda person to count their chickens before they hatch, but I am really getting a good feeling about all of this. I understand that nothing is a done deal until it is on paper, but I am hopeful that some of you can give me some feedback on my process so far and where you think it stands?

Again, thanks for any comments and cheers!
Best of luck! I just went through this same process. Including being flown to the headquarters and talking salary after a few initial interviews. Sadly, they went with another candidate. Stay positive - the odds are definitely in your favor!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search