Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 12:25 PM

299 posts, read 350,679 times

Advertisements

Please sign here, which gives us permission to verify your credit history, review your Social Security records (I guess so they can see if you left off a job on the application), view all personal files with prior employers, run a criminal background check, etc.

This is what I would have a problem with. They do not get my sensitive information to run a background check on me prior to a firm, written job offer. Two years ago while on an interview, the person interviewing me gave me a disclosure and release statement wAnting that type of information. I advised them that although I had no problem with them running a background check on me, I was not comfortable providing that information prior to a job offer. I was accustomed to having that performed after a job offer, and as a matter of fact was advised not to complete or provide the paperwork until a firm offer letter was provided by previous employers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 01:09 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newJerseyPinky View Post

Please sign here, which gives us permission to verify your credit history, review your Social Security records (I guess so they can see if you left off a job on the application), view all personal files with prior employers, run a criminal background check, etc.

This is what I would have a problem with. They do not get my sensitive information to run a background check on me prior to a firm, written job offer. Two years ago while on an interview, the person interviewing me gave me a disclosure and release statement wAnting that type of information. I advised them that although I had no problem with them running a background check on me, I was not comfortable providing that information prior to a job offer. I was accustomed to having that performed after a job offer, and as a matter of fact was advised not to complete or provide the paperwork until a firm offer letter was provided by previous employers.
That's the way it should be, received the written offer and then do the background check. Not have the person start the job and sit around for 2 weeks doing nothing until the background check comes back clean.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:49 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,652,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
That's the way it should be, received the written offer and then do the background check. Not have the person start the job and sit around for 2 weeks doing nothing until the background check comes back clean.
I can run a background check and get results in less than 1 minute.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:37 PM

115 posts, read 134,121 times
The point I think that is missing is that this is just an APPLICATION - no interview no nothing. Why should anyone agree to a background check, provide financial and personal information - just for the privilege of filling out a job application? If it isn't illegal - it should be. None of their damn business. If they want to interview you based on the information you want to give them - fine. Then you can decide after meeting them in person whether or not you are interested enough in the job to give them the information and sign the permissions they require. They force you to do it and take advantage of your desperation to find a job. Frankly - how do you know if the job posting is even legitimate? You don't. It could be a fake website, a fake company or a fake job they have no intention of filling. Even if it is all legitimate - how do you know if the company has safeguards in place to keep your data safe? You don't. You don't even know if they are offering a high enough salary to warrant your interest. And why do they need your references up front? Who wants to be bothered being contacted for a job before there is even a mutual interest - you might not even want them to have your contacts until after your interview for whatever reason - you might decide on different contacts. And salary history is just stupid - the salary you require is not even relevant to what you earned before. Background and credit checks at the application stage is just noisy and suspicious. You can sign all those forms after there is an accepted offer. Definitely too invasive.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:39 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatingforabuck View Post
The point I think that is missing is that this is just an APPLICATION - no interview no nothing. Why should anyone agree to a background check, provide financial and personal information - just for the privilege of filling out a job application? If it isn't illegal - it should be. None of their damn business. If they want to interview you based on the information you want to give them - fine. Then you can decide after meeting them in person whether or not you are interested enough in the job to give them the information and sign the permissions they require. They force you to do it and take advantage of your desperation to find a job. Frankly - how do you know if the job posting is even legitimate? You don't. It could be a fake website, a fake company or a fake job they have no intention of filling. Even if it is all legitimate - how do you know if the company has safeguards in place to keep your data safe? You don't. You don't even know if they are offering a high enough salary to warrant your interest. And why do they need your references up front? Who wants to be bothered being contacted for a job before there is even a mutual interest - you might not even want them to have your contacts until after your interview for whatever reason - you might decide on different contacts. And salary history is just stupid - the salary you require is not even relevant to what you earned before. Background and credit checks at the application stage is just noisy and suspicious. You can sign all those forms after there is an accepted offer. Definitely too invasive.
Exactly and the only person who would complete an application like that is someone with no confidence in their abilities who doesn't have marketing skills.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:43 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chestermom View Post
It was for a regional utility company....I was just taken aback that they want to view my social security record. Since I left off my last job on my resume, I declined the interview, I just did not think I could spin leaving off my last job on my initial resume AND being asked to resign from my last employer.

I can't lie on an application, if I did get the job I would be so paranoid they would find out and I don't want it hanging over my head.

Just disappointed that I was screened out without even a meeting; but they do operate nuclear power plants so I guess it is best to be detailed in your hiring, even for the finance people.
You actually screened yourself out when you chose to leave off the last employer that you felt was not important.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:45 PM

115 posts, read 134,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newJerseyPinky View Post

That is exactly right but now these jerky employers rely on third party job application software which you can not even submit your resume unless you agree to all the crap they want you to agree too - you can't bypass giving your information so all you can do is make it up and then you're signing the information is correct or you can't even apply for the job. Pure stupidity. Nobody you would be working for even sees the application if the computer or the clerk doesn't red flag it for them - and half the candidates aren't even bothering to fill them out. Passwords, user ID - 45 minute applications for a job that they might decide not even to fill - which many of them never do get filled. Better were the days when you sent your resume to the guy hiring - who had a trusted assisted screen then - have your interview and do whatever checks before the start date. This whole computerized hiring systems are a waste of everyone's time. And very, very dangerous for your privacy. Way too much information being kept on third party servers - you don't even know how many people have access to it.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:17 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,726 times
Just last night I was applying for an interesting job. However, the application was so long and asked intrusive questions like my DOB and my SS number, I didn't feel comfortable continuing on. I'm not going to supply such information to a place that in all likelihood will not contact me for an interview.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:26 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
Just last night I was applying for an interesting job. However, the application was so long and asked intrusive questions like my DOB and my SS number, I didn't feel comfortable continuing on. I'm not going to supply such information to a place that in all likelihood will not contact me for an interview.
In my experience, the only time I completed an application asking for my social security number is the day on the job after already being hired. Mostly because I only focused on jobs ads that only required me to email my resume. Never ever completed a online application and don't have any plans to do it in the future.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:18 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,006,984 times
The questions being asked of the OP are standard and customary when the prospective employee could have access to certain restricted confidential information. I believe the reason for the OP being upset had less to do with the need for the questions but more to do with sending in a "modified" resume and now facing the requirement to tell the whole truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search