Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2015, 08:04 PM

93 posts, read 188,343 times

Advertisements

I have a very important interview this week, and the HR rep said that I needed to bring in two copies of my Resume, along with a "Reference Letter". Now that was my first time ever hearing about such a letter, and I spoke to my Boss about it today, and he said while unfortunately he can't write a personal letter for me, he said he would be able to get me a "Letter of employment". I have no idea in the world what that is, but will that be good enough for the employer? I have no idea what to do here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 09:25 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,766,212 times
Do you have coworkers or other jobs you can ask?

Old 05-26-2015, 09:27 PM

93 posts, read 188,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Do you have coworkers or other jobs you can ask?
No sadly. The most I can do is probably ask my boss if I can use him as a reference so if they need to call somebody, they can speak to him. I mean, are "reference letters" even a thing..? I've never heard of anyone using them. I asked a few people and they said that reference letters are archaic and it's easier for the employer just to call the persons references to find out whatever they need instead of a "letter".

Old 05-29-2015, 11:31 AM

5,286 posts, read 6,224,555 times
I applied for a job with a school district (in a non-teaching role) last year and they required letters of professional reference. The only other time I have ever seen something similar was getting letters of reference for grad school. So no- not typical and frankly a little odd that I would be handling the letter. Usually confidential references/recommendations are what carry weight.

Do you have any coworkers, vendors, contractors or clients who could provide a reference. I was stuck in the rut of only looking at my specific bosses as references for the longest time. Finally someone explained that professional peer or someone outside the business whose contract/projects I handle can be just as valuable. And that a mix of employees, clients, vendors can show a broader set of experiences.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:52 AM

142 posts, read 179,236 times
Cool Yes it's typical

Very typical for professional jobs. You don't mention what type of job you're interviewing for.

The thing that *does* suck is the same business that ask for references also have policies that officially state that manager's *shouldn't* provide the same for people that work for them! It's the ultimate catch-22 and very hypocritical, but it is a fact/life. The only way to get around it is with a manager that is willing to ignore the official company policy or someone you've worked with that isn't at the same company willing to be a reference for you.

Good luck!

Old 05-29-2015, 04:10 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,713,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhayatox View Post
I have a very important interview this week, and the HR rep said that I needed to bring in two copies of my Resume, along with a "Reference Letter". Now that was my first time ever hearing about such a letter, and I spoke to my Boss about it today, and he said while unfortunately he can't write a personal letter for me, he said he would be able to get me a "Letter of employment". I have no idea in the world what that is, but will that be good enough for the employer? I have no idea what to do here.
Letter of Employment is just that. A letter stating that you were employed and from what date to what date. Period. It is not a reference letter by any means.

What type of job is this for and how big of a company?

I don't know many larger employers who allow people to give reference letters. I have had smaller ma and pa type businesses give me reference letters stating how well of a job I did for them while freelancing but never a larger corporation.

Old 05-29-2015, 05:00 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,645,586 times
Are they asking for references from former employers, or from personal friends as to your character?
Letters aren't so common anymore. I have a one page list with three former employers, labeled Professional, and three character references from friends, labeled Personal.
I have reference letters from these people if they should ask, but usually they are happy with just the list so they can call and get the reference first hand, rather than a letter. I'm prepared with both, their choice.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:18 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,555,631 times
I keep a few "reference" letters myself from former bosses but with phones/internet these days, they would just rather call them.

I don't use personal references, it's pretty much useless to me, my professional reference can talk about my character as well as any personal references can. And I would rather the employer not pry into my personal life that much as to ask for "personal" references

Old 05-31-2015, 12:25 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,063,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhayatox View Post

Did you ask your direct supervisor to write a reference letter for you? Also I am surprised they are asking for this information from a current employer since they don't know if you are trying to be discrete about finding another job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search