Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 09:37 PM

856 posts, read 1,052,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susman View Post
Jobs that I'm in search for are senior professional roles. I have an engineering degree, MBA, and a six sigma black belt certification.

I just want access to these non-advertised roles that I am supposedly missing out on.

I do have a small network of people that I'm in contact with but they are not at the level or in the areas that need my experience and skills. I have gone to professional group meetings and other functions but most people that I meet seem to be just looking out for their best interest. I have not meet people who have said "I have this great job at my company that is not advertised that you would be a great fit for let me have a copy of your resume and I will take it to the hiring manager." Most of the times it's "Hey just checkout our career website and see what we have opened."

I have to say that I have always been the reluctant type to randomly approach people I don't know and ask if they have a job. I know you wouldn't say it exactly like that but it's the whole idea of feeling like I'm kind of begging.

Susman....

Hmmm, I specialize in recruiting Quality professionals trained in Six Sigma and Lean Methods.

So in a way, what I'm about to say exactly applies to you....

My first thought when I saw your query was that you would find out the same way I do- by speaking directly to HA's who hire for the job(s) you are seeking.

They are the ones who have not yet put in a req to HR and is not running an ad at the job boards and has not yet had HR put the vacancy up at their 'Careers' website.

Who else would know but the Hiring Authority who knows s/he is going to cut and replace someone but has not yet said anything and/or perhaps is handling this in a confidential manner and is not discussing this outside her or his department.

As I've said elsewhere here at C-D, I've run into such a situation more than once- where a HA had plans to cut someone and was startled to get my call, offering (by coincidence) someone who would make a good replacement.

Regardless of what has been said here by others about how hiring is not done without running ads and putting in requisitions with HR, the exact opposite is true enough. That accounts for that 'hidden job market' that is so often discussed.

I run right into it all the time when I am marketing a candidate vs searching for one.

So the answer to your question is to do this the hard way (the same way headhunters do it) - speak with the corporate MBB's who would know what, if anything, is going on behind the scenes.

If you are a corporate MBB, then you would want to hit on the VP, SVP or EVP who heads up [global] Quality for the company of interest. LinkedIn, Google and Annual Reports will give you the name of that person.

If I were you and was so interested in knowing the inside scoop on what SS jobs there may be that are not being discussed in the public domain, I would go about this by creating a list of the companies that I would want to work for and then (OMG!!! Just What HHP Has Been Saying All These Years!!!) call the top-most person heading up Quality/CI/Operational Excellence and wave your credentials past that person and see what s/he says.

If someone has a 'better' way, I'd sure like to know what it is.

Hmmm, I was about to hit 'submit' and then I thought of something else you might consider:

This is a long shot but were I you I'd consider it-

This is assuming your title is Director or VP....

The top five or so global retained search firms -Korn Ferry, Heidrick & Struggles, Spencer Stuart are three of them- would be recruiting for your level of job from time to time. They may or may not be confidential searches. So you might want to send each of them your resume.

Now, understand that 'if' they are recruiting currently for someone like yourself, you will get a call, depending on their take on your credentials. If, however, they are not currently recruiting for someone like you, your resume will be filed for the future. They do not 'market' candidates so they will not offer to make calls on your behalf nor will they agree to do so if you ask them.

But, it's another iron in the fire.

And, it occurs to me that you may have people in your LinkedIn Network who have relations with such headhunters- the ones who work for Korn Ferry, et al. You might want to go through your network's contacts and see if this is true. If so then as a courtesy, let that person know you want to connect and communicate with that recruiter and then take it from there.

But remember what I said- if s/he is not recruiting for someone at your level, in your specialty, there won't be anything they can do for you since those firms only recruit for clients, they won't make calls on your behalf.

Bonne Chance,

P.S. People here at C-D are going to react to what I've said by telling you that you should not be 'bothering' executives- that they won't take your call, they will think you cannot follow directions, they will think you cannot fill out a template at their ATS, that you are being intrusive, etc., etc., yadda yadda, harumph, harumph.

Yes, it's true, we [headhunters] have an advantage in this regard since they are used to getting our calls, are used to us arriving without their admin/executive assistant having stopped us at the door and by and large, they know we are calling with goodies so they take our calls, sometimes even suggesting they are open to a change, themselves, etc.

So, yes, it is a different dynamic when we call for ourselves and as you said, you don't like holding out your hand so maybe calling HA's is not for you.

You have to decide what it's worth to you.

Plus, yes, there is the matter of dodging administrative and executive assistants and this in itself takes some practice and know-how so you can get past them without being held up at the front desk.

Normally, I'd also suggest someone in your shoes get in touch with a contingency/retained search consultant and simply ask that person to make some calls for you and/or keep you in mind while that person makes their regular calls.

This is why you hear so many times it is a good idea to have a headhunter in your back pocket.

They keep you informed when they hear/are told of opportunities that might suit you.

Paul............

Last edited by HeadhunterPaul; 09-29-2015 at 10:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 02:08 AM

162 posts, read 203,182 times
Thanks for the info Paul. I will definitely look at the different avenues you have suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadhunterPaul View Post
Hmmm, I specialize in recruiting Quality professionals trained in Six Sigma and Lean Methods.
Do you happen to be recruiting for any positions in the Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas area? If so I would love to send you a copy of my resume for any Six Sigma black belt opportunities that I would make a good fit for.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:20 AM

Exclamation Non Advertised Jobs

Quote:
Thanks for the info Paul. I will definitely look at the different avenues you have suggested.

Do you happen to be recruiting for any positions in the Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas area? If so I would love to send you a copy of my resume for any Six Sigma black belt opportunities that I would make a good fit for.
Hello....

My first reply was to suggest I will get in touch with you by DM, etc.

But on further consideration, I have decided to stick to my policy of not representing people I meet here or at other forums [when asked if I would 'market' them to industry].

The reason for this is because I don't want people believing I am here [or at other 'career'/job forums] to troll for resumes.

This was a sore point at one time at a particular forum and although they probably don't care anymore since I am so well-known there, I stick with my policy of not rep'ing people I meet at forums.

So although I do respond to requests for 'resume advice' and resume design and will work with people here and elsewhere by receiving and reviewing/critiquing their resume, I don't generally rep anyone.

This keeps me in a neutral position here and elsewhere and subsequently, people [especially those with an ax to grind with headhunters] cannot use my accepting a resume to market in order to find fault with me.

This also insures that when I give advice here, no one will feel I am using a reply/my contributions here to engage and recruit.

I hope you understand. There are plenty of search consultants who specialize in Six Sigma/Lean recruitment at LinkedIn- I'm not the only fish in the sea.

(Now I'm probably going to get a visit from the ghost of my original manager in search who is going to ask me what in the blank I think I am doing..... it was a firm that never left money on the table and practiced -when necessary- hardball tactics so I will not be surprised if he tells me he is going to haunt me for a few months. Oh, well; it really can't be helped....)

So thanks for the offer, Susman, I appreciate your giving me the opportunity but I see it as a conflict.

Paul.........

Last edited by HeadhunterPaul; 09-30-2015 at 12:06 PM..

Old 09-30-2015, 01:51 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,850,179 times
I've used the door-to-door approach and it has never worked for me. Perhaps it is my field. I need to search on-line for the jobs in my field. A construction company looking for project managers and estimators does not wait around for applicants to walk in the front lobby and ask if the company is hiring.

If you were in retail or working in fast food then yes, the door-to-door approach would be better. Example: On Monday morning I drove to the gas station to get some gasoline for the truck. As I was waiting in line to pay a young man, probably around 19 or 20, asked one of the cashier's if they were accepting applications. The employee responded 'no' but he gave the young man a flyer from Auto Zone that was advertising that they were hiring. This visit might have worked out really well for the young man.

-Cheers.

Old 10-01-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
They say that 80% of available jobs are not advertised.

My question is how to go about finding these?

And by the way,

...this is why I almost never speak with HR when presenting a candidate I'm marketing:

The HR staff member/manager will always do what they are famous for doing- looking up at the board and if they don't see a relevant job listed, they just say there are no openings.

However, when I speak directly to a department HA when presenting one of my 'high value' candidates, he ** will almost always say they are willing to take a look at a resume [to see if it is compelling enough to warrant a hire in spite of the fact he may have no openings listed {for another SS Black Belt, for example}].

The insurance companies (L&H) are famous for always being willing to look at an Actuarial resume -regardless of whether or not they have any advertised openings- and are almost always open to hiring another actuary who may have compelling credentials, especially if that actuary has been working in Product Development.

** I say "he" because as a rule, women executives are more inclined to say I 'should talk to HR' and are not as open to seeing resumes on a speculative basis.

Anyway, Susman, don't go asking HR if they have any hidden jobs- they will just stare at you, LOL.

Paul............

Old 10-02-2015, 04:50 AM

162 posts, read 203,182 times
Thanks for all the great info Paul!

Old 10-02-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all the great info Paul!

YW

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search