Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 09:30 AM

162 posts, read 203,526 times

Advertisements

They say that 80% of available jobs are not advertised.

My question is how to go about finding these?

All the jobs that I have gotten was from replying to ad postings. I want to begin exploring this but have know idea how to begin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 10:02 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,774,415 times
Networking. Talk to colleagues, vendors, friends if they know of any positions.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:57 AM

12,111 posts, read 23,325,551 times
Personally, I don't think the number is anywhere near that high. Assuming an outside firm has not been hired to find a candidate, people find out about them by word of mouth so, at a minimum, you need to know someone, or know someone who knows someone.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:37 PM

291 posts, read 391,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Personally, I don't think the number is anywhere near that high. Assuming an outside firm has not been hired to find a candidate, people find out about them by word of mouth so, at a minimum, you need to know someone, or know someone who knows someone.
I agree. Networking is still important, but there are plenty of people getting jobs cold.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:06 PM

29 posts, read 34,727 times
volunteering, non-paid internships

neighborhood schools

libraries

local non-profit organizations

posting on "job wanted" craigslist

hospitals

Old 09-29-2015, 07:00 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,561,198 times
going door to door (well business to business), IE just walk in to the stores and ask for application/manager...

people rely on internet too much these days and forget how to actually do things offline. I never understood it, I see places looking for help when I'm out and all I hear about are people not finding jobs then it turns out they only look online and never leave the house except for interviews if any...

Old 09-29-2015, 07:04 PM

2,541 posts, read 3,110,791 times
Stage management. You won't hear about openings through the usual. boring, cubicle-hell channels. Same with I.A.T.S.E. work jobs. The pay is pretty okay ($18 per hour, at my local, last I checked.) It pays to hang in theatre circles!

Old 09-29-2015, 07:33 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,576,902 times
I don't care what they say, there's nothing like putting a face to a name to get an interview.
It's not always possible, but when it is, do it.
Apply on-line, drop by the business, ask for the HR or hiring manager person. Introduce yourself, shake their hand, be friendly and let them know that you just applied on-line and wanted to ''touch base'' for a ''personal connection''.
Then let them know WHY you are so interested in working there.
Thank them for their time and mention your name one more time.
I don't know if it works in all cases, but I just got a part-time job this way and if I'd left it up to the ''roulette wheel'' of impersonal on-line apps I would have never been called for an interview and hired within a week.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:41 PM

856 posts, read 1,054,250 times
Exclamation Non Advertised Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by susman View Post
They say that 80% of available jobs are not advertised.

My question is how to go about finding these?

All the jobs that I have gotten was from replying to ad postings. I want to begin exploring this but have know idea how to begin.
It would help to know what kind of job you are seeking.

If you are looking for non-advertised executive-level positions, you will only hear about them from executives who work at that level, within that field.

If you are a woman, then going to local chapter business meetings by organizations like NAWBO and WIB would turn up some leads.

I get LinkedIn notices every so often about local business mixers in my city; presumably there are similar mixers in your city.

Association meetings would turn up leads;

Trade Shows and Conferences;

Often there are sponsored breakfast/lunch meetings by publishers within certain industry niches- another place to meet and ask around. This is especially true in IT.

It really depends on what what kind of job you are seeking.

Paul.........

Old 09-29-2015, 08:38 PM

162 posts, read 203,526 times
Jobs that I'm in search for are senior professional roles. I have an engineering degree, MBA, and a six sigma black belt certification. I don't have too much trouble finding job posting that I am qualified for and successful getting interviews here and there for those that I applied for online. I just want access to these non-advertised roles that I am supposedly missing out on.

I do have a small network of people that I'm in contact with but they are not at the level or in the areas that need my experience and skills. I have gone to professional group meetings and other functions but most people that I meet seem to be just looking out for their best interest. I have not meet people who have said "I have this great job at my company that is not advertised that you would be a great fit for let me have a copy of your resume and I will take it to the hiring manager." Most of the times it's "Hey just checkout our career website and see what we have opened."

I have to say that I have always been the reluctant type to randomly approach people I don't know and ask if they have a job. I know you wouldn't say it exactly like that but it's the whole idea of feeling like I'm kind of begging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search