Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 05:46 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times

Advertisements

We all know the question. You are asked for your salary requirements or asked what you currently earn. Because a truly professional company will have already created a budget for that position as well as the published KSAs.

How do you respond. Appears a number of my young acquaintances are stumped by how to respond without revealing a number too high and be out of contention or too low and the company had more budgeted for the position.

I advised as follows which is to reverse the question back onto the interviewer in an non-confrontational manner.

If they ask you what is your number:

A. I do not believe salary is an issue if the company is offering salary which matches the stated duties and in line with the market. Can you tell me what the budgeted range is?

If they ask you what you earned in the current position:

A. What I earn is probably in the same range as the position I am interviewing for as the duties are similar to what I currently execute. Can you tell me what the budgeted range is?

Sometimes the position advertised has the range and/or the questionnaire asks for current and requirements. But the thread question is for when the information is not known until an interview.

Last edited by Felix C; 02-19-2016 at 06:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 06:33 AM

341 posts, read 1,232,444 times
Hi, I asked about this about a couple weeks ago. Read it here!
How to disclose salary requirements without risking a job offer?

Also, what's funny is I didn't even negotiate. They told me the salary at the interview. When they offered me the job they bumped it $1,000. When they had me sign the contract it was another $1,000 again!

I too had to disclose how much I made on application which was far less and also disclose my minimum requirement. They went higher than my minimum which is why I expect they raised the pay higher for me.

Old 02-19-2016, 06:39 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
We all know the question. You are asked for your salary requirements or asked what you currently earn. Because a truly professional company will have already created a budget for that position as well as the published KSAs.

How do you respond. Appears a number of my young acquaintances are stumped by how to respond without revealing a number too high and be out of contention or too low and the company had more budgeted for the position.

I advised as follows which is to reverse the question back onto the interviewer in an non-confrontational manner.

A. I do not believe salary is an issue if the company is offering salary which matches the stated duties and in line with the market. Can you tell me what the budgeted range is?

A. What I earn is probably in the same range as the position I am interviewing for as the duties are similar to what I currently execute. Can you tell me what the budgeted range is?

Sometimes the position advertised has the range and/or the questionnaire asks for current and requirements. But the thread question is for when the information is not known until an interview.
And if the company responds with: our salary ranges are very flexible. We customize our offers to each candidate. Thus way we can pay each person an appropriate amount in order to satisfy each individual employee. What are your requirements?

The company is feeding you a line of course. But some companies are going to be evasive.

As a job seeker, you need to determine the market value for that position and not be afraid to ask for it.

Last edited by fishbrains; 02-19-2016 at 06:53 AM..

Old 02-19-2016, 07:05 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
I tell them the minimum amount they would have to pay for me to consider the job.

Old 02-19-2016, 08:32 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
And if the company responds with: our salary ranges are very flexible. We customize our offers to each candidate. Thus way we can pay each person an appropriate amount in order to satisfy each individual employee. What are your requirements?

The company is feeding you a line of course. But some companies are going to be evasive.

As a job seeker, you need to determine the market value for that position and not be afraid to ask for it.
I agree, this is the answer.

Do your research and put it on them. If the company isnt willing to pay a fair market price it is most likely a company with lots of other problems you don't want to work for.

A friend of mine was looking for work and while visiting me she got a call with an impromptu phone interview. Next thing I know she is telling the person for the position offered and what she brings to the table her salary requirement would be 85k min plus bonus and benefits. Next word out of her mouth was no I would not be willing to work for that amount, bye.

Now she makes a healthy six figure with bonus, stock options, benefits etc.... the whole nine yards.

You have to be willing to ask for it and also be willing to walk when you don't get it.

If not, companies are going to walk all over you.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:28 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:

"I may be willing to negotiate, but my number is $$$$$$$"

Personally, I think dancing about the number shows you aren't sure of your worth. If you are, don't be afraid to say "I believe I am worth this much and can prove it"...Confidence sells better.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:06 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Agree with that. There is a ton of information on the Interwebs about this subject but years ago, I came to a point where I stopped playing stupid games. I am more than happy to discuss a range. I have a good sense of what I am worth and a fantastic sense of what I will accept.

Basically, if asked, I give a range (with the range starting at above my lowest acceptable amount. So if the lowest I will accept is say 100k, my range will be something like 110 – 130) and qualify it with something like “but that also is dependent on the benefits, bonus opportunities, and any other things that make up the package”.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:20 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,167 times
Quote:

I ask for what I need to cover my living expenses. That is the LOWEST I would accept. I don't waste my time if it is less.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:30 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
I say what I currently make, not including benes. I tried the evasive approach and teh company was evasive, it was such a dumb conversation, so I didn't want to do it anymore.

It normally goes like this...
1. I ask what the range is on the phone, to decide if I need to continue talking.
2. They say, blah, blah, blah...we have a range...what do you want?
3. I say, my currently salary is X, not including bonus or benes. How does that fit in the range?
4. They say, What is your bonus? I say Y%...but then I also talk about our 401K, which is pretty good
5. The conversation either continues or ends at this point.

I'd rather just say what I make and negotiate from there. That is just me, though.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:40 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Give a 10k range based on what the position pays on average in the area (glassdoor etc.) and also factor in the amount you'd need to survive. Then say the range but that it's negotiable based on the total compensation package.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search