Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 02:11 PM

152 posts, read 185,775 times

Advertisements

Do employers try to dig up dirt before hand?
My name comes up on some annoying "ProfileEngine" site that copied my Facebook profile and can't take it down. I look unprofessional on that picture. There I have link to my amateur videography page which is just horrible. My video skills have improved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 02:17 PM

426 posts, read 371,060 times
Who the hell puts their real name on the internet.
I have social media but I never put my real name and use a different email address.
Unless these employers want to desperately reach my private life go ahead but you are not going to find nothing other than me with my lil bros

Old 02-19-2016, 02:18 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,159,124 times
Facebook sells your data on your website to background search companies and they can view stuff that is password protected.

A lot of firms when you take your picture in lobby with security use a facial recognition software search before making a job offer.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:31 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,099,840 times
HR departments tend to shy away from searching the web in the ways you express concern, but the hiring manager is probably a different story. When any of my prospective hires make it past the 1st stage in the interview process, I go to town on Google. Pictures from their youth drinking or doing stupid things are dismissible, as are Facebook profiles or comments with regard to politics, but belonging to a forum where they rant about touchy subjects like race, sex, etc, will certainly weigh on my managerial conscience whether it's frowned upon or not. Watching out for my business is my #1 priority.

So my answer is Yes.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:49 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSparks View Post
Who the hell puts their real name on the internet.
I have social media but I never put my real name and use a different email address.
Unless these employers want to desperately reach my private life go ahead but you are not going to find nothing other than me with my lil bros
I think Facebook is one of those networks where it'd be pretty difficult not to use your name because Facebook is so people IRL can find you and how are people supposed to know it is you if you don't have your name on there?

But I would think employers would not find anything scandalous on me regardless. I barely post on there and I don't even have any personal pictures. Unless they want to not hire me for using anime as my profile picture or judge me for "friend"'s posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
HR departments tend to shy away from searching the web in the ways you express concern, but the hiring manager is probably a different story. When any of my prospective hires make it past the 1st stage in the interview process, I go to town on Google. Pictures from their youth drinking or doing stupid things are dismissible, as are Facebook profiles or comments with regard to politics, but belonging to a forum where they rant about touchy subjects like race, sex, etc, will certainly weigh on my managerial conscience whether it's frowned upon or not. Watching out for my business is my #1 priority.

So my answer is Yes.
Most people don't use their real name on forums I would think so how would you know?

Old 02-19-2016, 03:01 PM

[quote=Nickchick;43072361]I think Facebook is one of those networks where it'd be pretty difficult not to use your name because Facebook is so people IRL can find you and how are people supposed to know it is you if you don't have your name on there?

But I would think employers would not find anything scandalous on me regardless. I barely post on there and I don't even have any personal pictures. Unless they want to not hire me for using anime as my profile picture or judge me for "friend"'s posts.

If people want to add me on facebook they better ask me for my email because my email is very specific and i only add people im very close to.
The internet can be pretty dangerous at times and some employers always want to find a reason to disqualify you even if its instagram or face book
Its work out for me.
I always tell everyone do not put your real name on social media because people do strange **** with your information on the internet.

Old 02-19-2016, 03:09 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Nowadays?

They done been doing that since years ago, ancient news now.

Old 02-19-2016, 03:13 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSparks View Post

If people want to add me on facebook they better ask me for my email because my email is very specific and i only add people im very close to.
The internet can be pretty dangerous at times and some emplpyers always want to find a reason to disqualify you even if its instagram or facebook
Its work out for me.
I always tell everyone do not put your real name because people do strange **** with your information on the internet

But then it's like people will tell you if you don't have an accessible Facebook you have something to hide..so it's like I can't win either way. Regardless it would be pretty stupid for me to close/privatize my Facebook just because an employer may not like it. I already have other factors/traits that apparently count me out so I'm not even sure it would make a difference and so I figure if they would judge me for my Facebook when I barely even interact with it I've already lost because as soon as I walk in the door, I'm disqualified for god knows what.
I don't know I know it happens but it's just stupid how you have to hide things that aren't even worthy of hiding. I mean I hide enough crap as it is for myself..

Old 02-19-2016, 03:13 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,901,723 times
Some employers will actually discard your application if you don't include any sort of social networking profile. My friend is a recruiter for OneMain Financial and she tells me all kinds of stories about this stuff.

Old 02-19-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
But then it's like people will tell you if you don't have an accessible Facebook you have something to hide..so it's like I can't win either way. Regardless it would be pretty stupid for me to close/privatize my Facebook just because an employer may not like it. I already have other factors/traits that apparently count me out so I'm not even sure it would make a difference and so I figure if they would judge me for my Facebook when I barely even interact with it I've already lost because as soon as I walk in the door, I'm disqualified for god knows what.
I don't know I know it happens but it's just stupid how you have to hide things that aren't even worthy of hiding. I mean I hide enough crap as it is for myself..
I tell employers I don't even have a Facebook but in general I never have been ask to show my facebook on a job interview.
I guess if employers want someone to have social media they should put that as part of a job requirement
I have a linkedlin with only one professional picture but i never use it and it doesn't even have my real name.
Its not even hiding thats the problem its just there are wierdos on the internet that are capable of doing wierd **** to you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search