Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2016, 08:16 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times

Advertisements

I'm interviewing soon at a company across the country. Thankfully the company is paying for the flight and all expenses incurred during the flight.

The bad thing is they booked the flight and booked me a red eye flight the night before the interview. They just told me the flight not be the best since it's such short notice but it's the only flight they could book. So it sounds as if it's a done deal. Take this red eye and interview with us or don't.

The flight lands at 6am and my first interview is at 9. Has anyone ever done this? I have 4.5 hours of interviews scheduled in a row after this. I don't even see a time slotted for lunch! 9-1030. 1030-12.00-1:30.

Is this like an endurance test? Or a test to see how well I do on a weird situation with little sleep?

I plan on sleeping as best I can on the flight. It's about a 5.5 hour flight nonstop. I'm bringing noise canceling headphones, a small blanket, and an sleeping mask type thing. Maybe I'll take a benadryl to help me fall asleep. Then there's the issue of do I wear my interview clothes on the plane and risk getting wrinkled (suit is pretty wrinkle free). Or do I try and find somewhere to change in between 6 and 9 when I get there?

This is a job I really want and I have been trying to get in at this company for awhile. They seem like a good company so I don't know why they'd do this. Anyone ever done something like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 09:19 AM

29,507 posts, read 22,620,513 times
I did one red eye flight interview in my life almost 5 years ago.

I had a former supervisor who was now manager at his company contact me to let me know they were hiring for a few positions on the east coast. At the time I was unhappy at my job and looking for a way out. So I told him I was interested since I got along with him, and not long after I got contacted for a phone screen then scheduled for an in person interview.

The night before the interview I went to the airport to fly from the west coast to the east coast overnight. Didn't get much sleep. I hand carried my suit on the plane, and upon arrival at the airport early morning, I put on the suit in the bathroom while putting my other clothes in my backpack. A taxi was waiting for me at the airport.

I was pretty tired during the interview but did my best. I wouldn't want to do that again.

Interview lasted most of the day including lunch, then late afternoon taxi took me back to airport for late evening flight back to west coast.

I never heard back from them after the interview so I still wonder why I never got an offer. In my industry referrals are huge, and the guy that referred me was well respected in that company. I thought for sure I'd get an offer.

But a big part of me was relieved that I didn't get the offer. I don't think I would have liked moving to the east coast. A former co-worker of mine's had interviewed at this same company a few years prior and went to work for them. He was fired less than a year later for shady performance issues, and he's still over there working at another company. He's miserable and wants to move back to the west coast but is trapped since he can't get any interviews.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:35 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
bring eye drops or get them at airport

don't drug yourself to sleep, you don't know if it will wear off in time or give you issues that comes up during interview

suit shouldn't get all that wrinkled if it is fitted correctly. they are made to be worn all day, doing any manner of movement. you sitting there lifeless for a few hours won't bother it unless it has loose fabric that can bunch together to wrinkle, pack extra shirt in case of spills/messes. You can remove the jacket if something gets on it.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:42 AM

138 posts, read 154,846 times
I've done it a couple of times - you really have to prep yourself for it.

2 days prior, make sure you're stocking up on sleep. Try to get at least 2+ hours more than you normally would.

Take the suit and shirt in a hanging garment bag and sweet talk the flight attendant into hanging it for you. The "this is a life-changing interview and I really want to look and feel my best" pitch has worked. Worst case, you can lay that flat in an overhead bin.

Night before, go to bed early as hell, and wake up early - you're trying to reset your body clock. No drugs, not a good idea.

Morning of arrival, find a place to take a shower. If you have a 24HR/Golds membership those are clutch. That way, you Uber it to the gym, shower dress and then go get breakfast. If you can, grab 15-20 minutes of light cardio just to get going.

Good luck! Whatever you do - don't wear the suit on the plane. You'll be uncomfortable as hell and get no sleep at all.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:12 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Thanks everyone. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:00 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,150,565 times
I think it sucks that they booked you on a red eye -- surely there were other flights. When I've been flown from one coast to the other for interviews, I've always been brought in one day prior. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search