Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2016, 11:16 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,212,870 times

Advertisements

Tonight, I wrote a letter declining a job offer. I received the offer verbally, with an offer letter later. So when the verbal offer was made, I said that I'd be happy to look over any written offer they'd be willing to provide. So I didn't turn down the job when it was verbally offered. It was more that I can't answer until I see something in writing.

So, to get some inspiration and guidance, I googled turning down a job offer. I couldn't believe what I was reading. Not only is it expected that you should write a letter, but also that you should decline the offer verbally with a phone call.

Has anybody here called an employer and declined a job offer after seeing the offer letter? How did it go?

* For me, the difference is that employers aren't expected to call job candidates and verbally tell them that they're out of luck. Yet, job candidates should call?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 02:13 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
There is weird advice out there on the Internet. I would never go to the effort of writing a formal letter declining an offer. The common practice is a verbal offer to reach agreement before providing a formal, written offer. Typically if you cannot reach a mutual agreement during the verbal stage, you would simply say "no, thanks" and the whole thing is done. The company says "ok", you both hang up the phone, and it is over. Nobody writes anything.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:41 AM

278 posts, read 336,168 times
Simple, all you do is email back saying you decline the offer. Done.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:03 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,599,516 times
I was doing the exact same thing yesterday and saw the same advice. I was borderline pissed off by what people were recommending.

I received the offer by email so I decided that I would also decline it by email.

Actually technically I did both. The hiring manager called me yesterday, as I was contemplating two different offers, and I told him over the phone that I was going to be declining their offer. However, all of my communication with the recruiter was through email so I decided to email him that I'd be declining the offer.

Either way, if the hiring manager had not called me, I probably would have declined it by email only.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:04 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
I would contact the point of contact either by phone or email declining it. I wouldn't see a need to send a physical letter as well.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:16 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Either a call or email is fine. A letter is overkill.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:44 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,212,870 times
Thanks everybody. Yeah, the advice floating around out there of having to do both a phone call and a written letter did seem excessive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search