Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 06:34 PM

484 posts, read 2,210,737 times

Advertisements

Long story short the first job out of college, I hated the office manager there.
There was a lot of miscommunication with how the President wanted me to do things and how she wanted me to do things. Eventually got laid off after a year of working there.

After getting laid off, I wrote to her, the President, and the VP what my problems were but still thanked them for the opportunity. I never got a reply from either of them.

Now I am kind of in a bind as when I am looking for a new job and after passing 2nd round interviews I get asked for references..... There is no way I am putting the office manager's contact info because I believe we hated each others guts. What do I do???

My other previous places that I have worked for and had good relationships with have either closed shop or cant even reach them anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 07:06 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,467,226 times
Is there ANYONE you had a good relationship with from that job? Another supervisor, maybe?

Old 08-17-2016, 07:14 PM

484 posts, read 2,210,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Is there ANYONE you had a good relationship with from that job? Another supervisor, maybe?
Yes the real estate lady but everyone in that office talks/gossips. So if they call her I'm sure shes gonna tell my office manager and the bosses that I used her number for a reference

Old 08-17-2016, 08:12 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,526,390 times
Well just list HR manager as a reference.

In Texas HR cannot provide any details other than that you worked there until certain day and received certain salary. That's it. I heard other states have the same policy.

My company cannot provide any other details, that's the company policy. And I think this policy is based on the state law.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:21 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrape View Post
Yes the real estate lady but everyone in that office talks/gossips. So if they call her I'm sure shes gonna tell my office manager and the bosses that I used her number for a reference
So what?

Old 08-17-2016, 08:26 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Well just list HR manager as a reference.

In Texas HR cannot provide any details other than that you worked there until certain day and received certain salary. That's it. I heard other states have the same policy.

My company cannot provide any other details, that's the company policy. And I think this policy is based on the state law.
That is your company's policy. It is not based on any federal or state law -- it is what your company's attorneys have told them to do.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:12 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,526,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
That is your company's policy. It is not based on any federal or state law -- it is what your company's attorneys have told them to do.
Thanks, I didn't know that. But I heard from many different people from other states/different companies that their companies have similar rules.

So OP should find out, maybe his previous company has the same policy too.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:59 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Thanks, I didn't know that. But I heard from many different people from other states/different companies that their companies have similar rules.

So OP should find out, maybe his previous company has the same policy too.
Companies generally limit the information they give out because it takes time providing info. The less they give out, the less time they are wasting on some former employee who isn't contributing to their bottom line anymore. Why waste their time helping an ex get a job. Your gone so be glad they even took the time to give what little they did. I know other employers who have decided that any employee that quits to go elsewhere or leaves on questionable/bad terms, they won't even respond to any inquiries.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:15 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,932,401 times
Quote:
Long story short the first job out of college, I hated the office manager there.
There was a lot of miscommunication with how the President wanted me to do things and how she wanted me to do things. Eventually got laid off after a year of working there.

After getting laid off, I wrote to her, the President, and the VP what my problems were but still thanked them for the opportunity. I never got a reply from either of them.

Now I am kind of in a bind as when I am looking for a new job and after passing 2nd round interviews I get asked for references..... There is no way I am putting the office manager's contact info because I believe we hated each others guts. What do I do???

My other previous places that I have worked for and had good relationships with have either closed shop or cant even reach them anymore.
1st thing, I think you learned a valuable lesson about leaving a company, You incurred no value added by trashing their company, even if it was private to the president and VP.

2nd, you are basically left with HR, hopefully they hold a strict confirmation policy, and just give facts. FYI, that letter was most likely turned over to HR, hopefully HR did not take offense to it.

3rd, supplement your references with other ones, college professors, past bosses, find someone...

Old 08-18-2016, 06:20 AM

258 posts, read 299,853 times
Quote:

Were you laid off, or fired?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search