Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 07:59 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
At least they're not beating around the bush. An objective that says anything else is just fluff.
Well the whole point of them submitting the resume for position X is to obtain position X so saying that's their intent is a big redundant in my eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 08:02 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,553,504 times
Agreed. Hence why I'm not a fan of objective statements.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:50 AM

973 posts, read 915,539 times
No one reads them. Ditch it. It's all bs anyways. Put the effort in your cover letter.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:22 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
I have never used one. Though, in my experience, the only people who tend to use them are people trying to get their first real job. I don't see the point of one if I am also providing a cover letter.

My job has a very specific skill set. That's what I put on my resume. If I am trying to get a new job in my field, I think that speaks for itself.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:55 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Thanks for the response folks.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:30 AM

1,104 posts, read 919,788 times
The objective statement isn't necessarily fluff, but it definitely is secondary to listing your skills & experience in the format appropriate to your audience. Also if you're using a cover letter too then it's pretty much irrelevant.

But, if you are not, then one or two sentences that accurately describe who you are and what you want in a nutshell can help sell you better.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:42 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
If you're NOT using a cover letter, then how do you introduce yourself.

-- You attach the resume to an email and don't say who you are? ... that's it….here you go…?
-- You send the resume only and expect just a two line objective to properly explain why you're sending in a loose or lone resume?

How did you here of the position? What are some special skills you have? Did someone suggest you submit the resume?
Why are you sending the resume to this person? Why should this person consider you?

I haven't looked for a job in more than 20 years, so maybe I'm out of touch> But if you're talking about SUBMITTING a resume -- versus just posting one on a site somewhere -- I don't see how you do NOT, have a cover letter with it.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:01 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
I would tailor it to fit he specific job you are applying for.

Old 08-25-2016, 03:57 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
If you're NOT using a cover letter, then how do you introduce yourself.

-- You attach the resume to an email and don't say who you are? ... that's it….here you go…?
-- You send the resume only and expect just a two line objective to properly explain why you're sending in a loose or lone resume?

How did you here of the position? What are some special skills you have? Did someone suggest you submit the resume?
Why are you sending the resume to this person? Why should this person consider you?

I haven't looked for a job in more than 20 years, so maybe I'm out of touch> But if you're talking about SUBMITTING a resume -- versus just posting one on a site somewhere -- I don't see how you do NOT, have a cover letter with it.
I stopped doing cover letters. It's hyped up info about the company or your skills that others have as well.

My former boss dreaded them. People tended to have a skewed version of themselves. He said you can't hire a pitcher til you see him throw a ball. I tend to agree. So when he would have interviews... he'd have them demonstrate the skill. Sell me this can of soda! Fix this network error. Show me how you troubleshoot xyz.
That's when the rubber met the road. He never declined a resume review.. He was better at face to face conversations. He could separate the bull from its odor. One guy had his resume professionally done. It was impeccable! Day of the interview my boss said...so Joe tell me about your innovative ideas that propelled you to top 5 in your former job. The guy quickly pinpointed some key successes... and my boss said... again what made them innovative? Tip of the day: if it's not true and can't be supported..best to not put it down.

I don't blow smoke at a business . I let the skills speak for themselves. If they can respect my talents and have a key role that it can be utilized...it's a win. The cover letter isn't going to change it .

I introduce myself with a brief statement .a tagline followed by the attached resume. Saves them from reading too much dribble.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:51 AM

856 posts, read 1,052,510 times
Exclamation Objective Statement on Resume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
I have used one and been hired but recently I have had recruiters say ditch it?

I like to use it in lieu of a cover letter at times since it's the top of resume it get their 15-30 seconds of attention.

Curious what others think
Most everyone gave you the 'correct' response....

Let me emphasize this:

The Objective paragraph talks about what you 'want' in a job.

That is often self-evident as you are, of course, applying for that kind of job.

So there is limited value to that kind of paragraph which is using up important real estate on a resume. When you only have so many pages available, everything you say must be impacting and leverages your strengths.

Now, there can be exceptions but this is debatable and is not a certainty. Try this on for size:

"Objective To obtain an executive level position, within a progressive, forward thinking company that will use my knowledge, skills, expertise and history of successes to improve their bottom line performance and overall market position."

Well, this sounds pretty. At first glance it appears to be appealing but, what if all the resumes in that stack all say this? There is nothing in this Objective paragraph differentiating this person from anyone else in that stack of 300+ resumes.

Not so good, after all. And besides, all it does is reflect the nature of the job that person is seeking. To say we are seeking that which is being offered is not bringing value to the conversation.

The Summary/Profile/Professional Profile paragraph is an opportunity to briefly and succinctly say WHO and WHAT YOU ARE and WHAT YOU BRING TO THE COMPANY in terms of EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE. It reflects the successes you have experienced as a result of what you do for a living.

From these following examples, you can more readily see the advantages of what the Summary/Profile/Professional Profile paragraph brings to the resume.

You are describing the VALUE you bring to an employer:

"Over twenty years of progressively responsible manufacturing and operations management. Directed all major facets of operations, possess excellent knowledge of “Lean” Practices and Principles, highly energetic and thrives on challenges and accomplishments. Managed activities of up to 450 bargaining unit employees, 20 first-line supervisors and 125 manufacturing support personnel."

"Decisive, visionary executive, recognized for world-class team development, rapid time-to-market development schedules, key product sales and exceptional customer service. Balanced attention to detail with long-range vision for startups, high-growth companies and industry giants Star Computer and Axis Communications. Managed budgets to $50MM and up to 350 people in fast-paced environments. Granted five software patents."

"Broad based senior manufacturing executive with proven experience building highly productive operations for subsidiaries of Sunni Corporation, while delivering quality products to Cyron, Trention and other Original Equipment Manufacturers. Successful in creating and implementing high impact, quality operating systems leading to dramatic improvements in operational and financial performance in both domestic and international settings. Recognized for building resilient customer and supplier relationships on a global scale in a context of consistent performance and mutual trust, driving revenues and profits."

To tie your Profile paragraph off with a bow tie (to 'add a cherry on top'), you can then, following this paragraph, list three to four, at most, bullets of accomplishments that show measured achievement consistent with the text of the Profile paragraph.

"Did this and that which improved operations by 30%, equaling an increase of $4.5MM in additional revenue."

"Did this and that which reduced waste and scrap by 20% which saved $3.2MM in costs annually."

"Did this and that which resulted in an increase of market share by 25%, resulting in an additional $430MM in annual sales."

With this one-two punch, you have given an employer all the sizzle they need to know that all there is left to do is pick up the phone.

Paul........

Last edited by HeadhunterPaul; 08-29-2016 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: text addition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search