Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 03:30 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,346,788 times

Advertisements

OP -

I think you're just shooting darts, spinning your wheels, dealing with HR depts. and online applications. Waste of time since you haven't made any progress. Frankly, you need to bypass HR altogether.

Considering your age and the number of years you've been working - at various places - you should know a lot of people. Are any of your relatives/friends/acquaintances in a position to hire or to help you get a foot in the door?

Have you tried doing some research on your own to find the NAME of someone who has the authority to hire, contacting that person to ask for an information interview and to let them know how you would be an asset? (no strings)

It's a small world......any past conflicts with bosses or co-workers which might be haunting you without your knowledge?

Last edited by applej3; 03-09-2017 at 04:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 03:38 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
May I ask your age? You said 25 years of experience? If you are 45-50 or older, it is NOT your imagination why things are different on the hiring front for you..

Old 03-09-2017, 03:53 PM

738 posts, read 585,715 times
There's just nothing. I'm 57 years old and starting to think about how I might be disabled.

I want to work. But no one will hire me. I've tried everything. I've done everything they tell you to do.

Old 03-09-2017, 04:06 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
my advice to you. Is pack up your car and move. Go to a city that has jobs. Some parts of the country got hit hard back in 08 and they never fully recovered.

When I lived in Illinois. It was hard as hell to get a job. In Texas. I landed multiple interviews in one week.
Did you not read what the OP wrote?

They already did the move to Texas scenario, it didn't pan out.

You do realize you need money behind when you move? Have to either stay in a motel or rent an apt? How do you rent an apt if you don't have proof you can pay for it(as in a job or extensive savings which the OP doesn't have). Unless you have family or good friends who will let you stay with you at the new location, you need to have at least 6 months of living expenses(including car insurance) behind you.

You can't just get in the car and go, this isn't the Old West where you loaded up the covered wagon.

OP, sorry for your troubles. There definitely is age discrimination. It does sound like though you have family support, which is something.

Old 03-09-2017, 04:33 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,233,292 times
The market doesn't favor the "jack of all trades" anymore. Online systems have made it easier for employers to be bombarded with 100+ applications for each available position. So, if at least 5 of those applicants have direct, related experience and education, why would they bother to interview someone who seems to hold multiple degrees and apparently can't keep a job for more than 1.5 years on average (I do truly hope that you have left everything but the last 2-4 jobs off your resume!).

Yes, your age is a barrier. Part of that is not understanding how technology has changed the way hiring works. It also means that what was okay in interviews 10 years ago, isn't good enough anymore (I am 32 and when I got my first professional job at 22, I can even see how different it is today!). You aren't looking at this from the perspective of an employer and that needs to change. You KNOW the system isn't going to change - it's time for you to find your way around it.

Also, you've had 24 interviews and only one offer? That's an obvious sign that you are not effectively marketing yourself in an interview. You could benefit from interview coaching. I get it, you're discouraged, it's everyone else's fault (companies) and not yours, but 24 interviews and 1 offer speaks for itself. I do hope you can take constructive criticism wisely and improve from here.

Old 03-09-2017, 04:41 PM

738 posts, read 585,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
OP -

I think you're just shooting darts, spinning your wheels, dealing with HR depts. and online applications. Waste of time since you haven't made any progress. Frankly, you need to bypass HR altogether.

Considering your age and the number of years you've been working - at various places - you should know a lot of people. Are any of your relatives/friends/acquaintances in a position to hire or to help you get a foot in the door?

Have you tried doing some research on your own to find the NAME of someone who has the authority to hire, contacting that person to ask for an information interview and to let them know how you would be an asset? (no strings)

It's a small world......any past conflicts with bosses or co-workers which might be haunting you without your knowledge?

Good advice.

Old 03-09-2017, 04:57 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,367 times
Something's def amiss if you're 24-1. I def feel your frustration. Times have changed, systems have evolved, the old ways of job searching are null. Sounds like your resume is getting lost in the ATS vortex. Applicant tracking systems are becoming super sophisticated. The way to get around these is to use key words properly in your resume and keep the format simple.

Additionally -
•When listing work experience, list the company name first followed by dates. Dates appearing to the left of the company will not register.

•Avoid special characters, strange symbols, and accent marks as they can be misinterpreted by an ATS. Stick to standard “typewriter” keyboard characters.

•Omit any graphics or logos. These embedded images will cause software glitches.

•Always use a standard, sans-serif font as they are unlikely to be rejected by some screening software.

•Include standard section headers to make it easy for the ATS to categorize information.

•Place your name on the first line of the document – nothing else. List credentials (MBA, CPA, etc.) on a separate line.

•If you are working towards a degree or certification that is a requirement for the position, include it on the resume using a clarifying phrase such as “Pursuing (name of credential)” or “Degree anticipated (date).”

•This is a biggie! Use an intentional file name, including your name and a keyword in the file name (ex. “JohnJonesSalesManager.doc”) instead of the generic “Resume.doc.”

•Do not submit multiple resumes to the same company. Applicant tracking systems have a memory and all previous submissions remain.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:51 PM

179 posts, read 156,004 times
You know, 24 interviews and one job offer is pretty damn good in this economy. The days of "gee, I don't know if I want to interview there because I'll get the job" are OVER. We are in the age of "PERFECTISM." You best be the perfect candidate or it's curtains for you. What is perfect? Whatever you are not. That's it.

I especially hate those people who have had one job (or should I say sat in their seats) for 15-20 years and lecture other people on how to get a job. Really? Things are alot different than even 5 years ago.

Bah and humbug. Blah.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:56 PM

179 posts, read 156,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
The market doesn't favor the "jack of all trades" anymore...why would they bother to interview someone who seems to hold multiple degrees
Hold on! Multiple degrees is a detriment? Really? You might want to tell all the colleges that. They shove degrees as the secret to success down everyone's throats. Now when you get more than one degree it's a sign of flightiness and unemployableness (not I word I get it). Sheesh. I would interview of a jack of all trades over a seat-sitter any day. At least you would know things would get done, and maybe even things you didn't even know needed to be done. Initiative and creativity trumps same old, same old any day with me.

Old 03-09-2017, 06:37 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,346,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamDot View Post
Hold on! Multiple degrees is a detriment? Really? You might want to tell all the colleges that. They shove degrees as the secret to success down everyone's throats. Now when you get more than one degree it's a sign of flightiness and unemployableness (not I word I get it). Sheesh. I would interview of a jack of all trades over a seat-sitter any day. At least you would know things would get done, and maybe even things you didn't even know needed to be done. Initiative and creativity trumps same old, same old any day with me.
Initiative and creativity don't necessarily pay the bills.

If applying for lower-level jobs (customer service, clerical) and retail or restaurant/fast food, those multiple degrees would be a detriment in getting hired......especially if boss is high school grad or maybe attended a community college for a year.

Those colleges that shove degrees as the secret to success aren't making hiring decisions in this awful job market.

Last edited by applej3; 03-09-2017 at 07:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search