Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2021, 04:49 PM

2 posts, read 1,228 times

Advertisements

I recently graduated with my bachelor's at 35 years old (finally), and I went for one of my first job interviews today with a pet food company. The interview was for a microbiology quality assurance position. I was asked at the end of the interview if I would be willing work through a temp agency. Why would the interviewer ask this if I applied directly to the company for a full time position? Does that mean she feels I'm not a good enough quality candidate to be offered a direct hire?

Also, does this mean I would not be entitled to company benefits and/or receive less pay? I don't know anything about temp jobs. The job posting didn't indicate anything about a temp position. I told them I didn't want to say no, but I wasn't sure because I would have to become more familiar with temp work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2021, 10:27 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,226 times
I don't see a location (city, state/province country), the reasons depend on the location.

To give a "shot in the dark" guess: Employers don't want to hire people with no experience as full timers due to the paperwork and costs, so they prefer to hire contractors who can be terminated in 10 minutes with minimal costs.

Old 11-12-2021, 10:40 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieatlittlekids View Post
I recently graduated with my bachelor's at 35 years old (finally), and I went for one of my first job interviews today with a pet food company. The interview was for a microbiology quality assurance position. I was asked at the end of the interview if I would be willing work through a temp agency. Why would the interviewer ask this if I applied directly to the company for a full time position? Does that mean she feels I'm not a good enough quality candidate to be offered a direct hire?
It maybe the company's way to try you out before hiring you on direct.

Ask how long is the temp position before you will be considered for a direct-hire?

One benefit is you can ask for a much higher hourly wage through a temp agency (but always ask what's the pay scale) because the company doesn't pay the employee overhead and benefits. A temp hire can also start as fast as the next day whereas a direct-hire may wait for weeks for internal HR to process.

Finally, you can always call them bluff if you're confident they "really" want you. Just say "no" and see if they come back with a direct-hire offer.

Quote:
Also, does this mean I would not be entitled to company benefits and/or receive less pay? I don't know anything about temp jobs. The job posting didn't indicate anything about a temp position. I told them I didn't want to say no, but I wasn't sure because I would have to become more familiar with temp work.
Yes, you will not be entitled to company benefits, but maybe a higher pay (see above).

One disadvantage of a temp job is you can be fired for little or no reasons (simply they don't need/ want you anymore). If they tell you you're fired, you'll be gone in an hour with no severance pay.

Old 11-12-2021, 02:48 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,369,092 times
Quote:

This is bait-and-switch. Walk away from this. If you were good enough to be interviewed for a direct job by HR, then that's what you are applying for.

I think there was a class action lawsuit against a company where HR directed people to apply for jobs through a staffing firm as a temp.

Just continue your job search.

Old 11-14-2021, 07:10 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Generally temp job pay a lot less than direct hire and have substandard or no benefits. I would either decline or take it and continue looking and interviewing full effort and leave the first direct hire you are offered. I personally would just walk away.

Old 11-14-2021, 07:11 AM

Microbiology good to see science is still a staffing agency infested race to the bottom.

Old 11-14-2021, 07:23 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,203,799 times
Quote:

Welcome new poster! I would say "make an offer and find out". They are asking your for a concession for not even and offer yet? You need to know the entire situation before you make decisions. ...and stay away from my kids

Old 11-14-2021, 11:52 AM

4,415 posts, read 2,937,322 times
Being a new college grad I would take the position no matter what. You aren’t in a position to be picky with being a new grad. You can still list the company on your resume and they could hire you if they like you.

Old 11-14-2021, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
It maybe the company's way to try you out before hiring you on direct.

Ask how long is the temp position before you will be considered for a direct-hire?

One benefit is you can ask for a much higher hourly wage through a temp agency (but always ask what's the pay scale) because the company doesn't pay the employee overhead and benefits. A temp hire can also start as fast as the next day whereas a direct-hire may wait for weeks for internal HR to process.

Finally, you can always call them bluff if you're confident they "really" want you. Just say "no" and see if they come back with a direct-hire offer.

Yes, you will not be entitled to company benefits, but maybe a higher pay (see above).

One disadvantage of a temp job is you can be fired for little or no reasons (simply they don't need/ want you anymore). If they tell you you're fired, you'll be gone in an hour with no severance pay.
Doesn't work that way in science. Poorchemist, myself and countless others can tell you about the excrement sandwich that is working as a permatemp as in the sciences. In short you will be paid much lower than a direct hire, have no or substandard benefits and get strung along as long as you stay there. They will likely never hire you regardless of any lies they try to con you with to work the job. In the meantime the company will treat you like a second class citizen, whatever attracted you to the field will die a slow painful death, you will question why you majored in science or went to college at all for a job of lower quality than you could have gotten with a GED.

Old 11-14-2021, 04:07 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
My nephew was offered a job directly out of college as a temp-to-hire with a Major Household Name consumer products manufacturer. I think he was a temp for about a year. He was still on his parent’s health insurance but got some PTO and vacation benefits. When he was permanently hired, got a nice raise and even better benefits.

You might try to find out if this is their SOP and if so, how long do you temp before brought on permanently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search