Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 10:21 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,764,542 times

Advertisements

If its not the resume, then you need to get some interview practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 03:14 PM

179 posts, read 155,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
If its not the resume, then you need to get some interview practice.
Where do you get interview practice from? Seriously. And is this practice tailored to any interviewer you might meet in the interview?

Old 04-28-2017, 03:37 PM

179 posts, read 155,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Smiling and having the right color hair or other non- job-related factors may in fact affect one's ability to be hired. There is nothing anyone can do about that, but you probably don't want to work for that person anyway.
Then you will never be employed because everyone is that way in judging job applicants. It's human nature and cannot be avoided if you're human. Now, if only I can be interviewed by a robot, then maybe function would be more important than fit. Hello, Japan are you listening????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I still maintain that it's important to tailor the resume and the interview to the company and the position. Experienced hiring managers really can tell whether someone wants to work there, or is just looking for whatever they can get. There are no guarantees that a new employee will stay and make a career, but the enthusiasm for the position goes a long way. When someone uses some real facts about our company in their answers, and asks questions related to the future of the company, goals and objectives rather than PTO days or dress code, it can make a big difference between two or more equally qualified people. You can ask about those other details when HR makes an offer, the interview is to sell yourself as the best fit for the position.
See... you said fit. Fit has absolutely nothing to do with the company, its products, the job that needs to be done, etc. It has EVERYTHING to do with whether that particular interviewer likes you. That's it. So, the list that peebola wrote is the only things that matter. So, the question now is how do you prepare to battle that list of questions? How do you tailor the interview to the interviewer?

I guess you have to ask who the interviewer is before the interview (first and last name) and then do a background check on that person. Plus, you have to check their Facebook status before the interview to make sure they are not in a bad mood. Then at the interview talk about the social interests and pretend to have the hobbies of the interviewer. That's all you can do to conteract the fit problem and tailor the interview. The interview can't be tailored to the company, it can only be tailored to the interviewer.

Old 04-28-2017, 05:07 PM

449 posts, read 495,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
I am sure I am doing it all wrong in my job search. I can't win regardless what I do. BTW, I do not average applying to 17 a day, it comes out to an average of 1.8 jobs applied to per day. I am assuming you mean I am averaging 17 jobs applied to per month which I do not think is very high for the area of the country I live in and the crappy job market around here.

In the 15 months of job searching I have went 1 month without applying for a job at all (needed a break) and another month where I only applied to around 3 jobs. If I only applied to 5 jobs in four months and wasn't lucky enough to get a job (regardless how much research I did), everyone here on C-D and in my real life would say I am not looking hard enough and I am not applying to enough jobs. If I apply to 254 jobs in 15 months of job searching, I am now told I am applying to too many jobs and I am not targeting my job search to specific jobs that will hire me based upon my qualifications and work experience.

Of course one has to throw into the mix the many interviews I have been on where it seems the company didn't hire anyone at all. For example, I just received another rejection email from an interview I went on a month ago and the email stated the company decided to get rid of the job, here is the text of the email:

"Thank you for expressing interest in the position of HRIS ASSISTANT . Athough we are impressed with your background and experience, I have learned that the department is going to be closing this position at this time."

[Notice the typo "Although" and the extra space in front of the period, not that anyone cares]

Anyway, I have no control over companies I interviewed with that can't make decisions, or companies that interview for jobs that don't exist. Out of the 29 interviews I have been on I have seen probably at least half of the jobs come back up on the job boards within 3-6 months.

So yeah, maybe I need to research the companies better, however I have been contacted by some companies that were shady and I have made a decision NOT to go on the interview. So I am particular on what jobs I interview for. I believe I was well suited for ALL of the 29 jobs I interviewed for, but they didn't work out. Such is life.

I understand you are trying to help. Thank you. But sometimes in life people are meant to go on different paths. What worked for you in your job search may not work for someone else. I just need a little bit of luck, if that is what the Universe wants...if not well...I guess I stay unemployed.

Do you not have friends or family members already working in companies that can give you an employee reference for a job opening?

Also why don't you also go get certificates in a field you like? Or why don't you go to nursing school or learn a trade? You can't just keep applying for jobs, you aren't getting jobs because you probably lack the skills and certificates/credentials needed that other candidates may have.

Old 04-29-2017, 05:09 AM

486 posts, read 992,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamDot View Post
See... you said fit. Fit has absolutely nothing to do with the company, its products, the job that needs to be done, etc. It has EVERYTHING to do with whether that particular interviewer likes you. That's it.
I agree. For example, at my last interview (of which I was rejected for 2 days later for not being the right FIT), I continually tried to shoehorn in the conversation with both the HR and Hiring Manager, that I was the best candidate for the customer service position, by explaining my customer service experience, and giving examples of how I helped past employers automate their customer service so customers are the top priority. To be honest, neither seemed interested in what I was saying (maybe because as soon as I walked in the door something on my "maybe the interviewer" list in my post above knocked me out of the running for being the right FIT).

Also I stated to the HR and Hiring Manager that I researched their company, and was impressed with their products, again I don't think they were that interested in what I was saying.

Also, I asked the Hiring Manager, if he could hire the perfect person for the position what qualities (FIT) would that person have. He hemmed and hawed and said that person had to be flexible (another code word for younger, same as "we need someone with high energy"). Okay. I then smiled and gave him examples of how I am flexible in the workplace. That is when he said my database experience was a plus, but again my functional database experience has nothing to do with being flexible (a FIT/personality trait).

No matter what I said or did at the interview, my gut "feeling" based upon the interviewers' actions and reactions, was as soon as I walked in the door, they both knew I wasn't the right FIT. I know you are not supposed to say it, but I believe it was my age (being 50) that did not make me the right FIT for the customer service position. I can't prove it, but *that* is what I believe. Selling myself and showing I want to work for the company was NOT going to make me the right FIT if they are looking for someone younger.

Quote:
So, the list that peebola wrote is the only things that matter. So, the question now is how do you prepare to battle that list of questions? How do you tailor the interview to the interviewer?
I need to know exactly what type (FIT) candidate they are looking for and tailor myself to be that type of person BEFORE I go on the interview. However, many times I do not know who is going to interview me, many times I do have the person's name, but when I go to the interview *that* person is not available and someone else does the interview. Many times I am told one person is going to interview me and it ends up being 3 people sitting around a table. It is a free-for-all when you interview, at least that has been *my* experience. I am sure my experience is not the norm.

Quote:
I guess you have to ask who the interviewer is before the interview (first and last name) and then do a background check on that person. Plus, you have to check their Facebook status before the interview to make sure they are not in a bad mood. Then at the interview talk about the social interests and pretend to have the hobbies of the interviewer. That's all you can do to conteract the fit problem and tailor the interview. The interview can't be tailored to the company, it can only be tailored to the interviewer.
I agree, for the best success, the interview has to be tailored to the interviewer. How does one do that? When I have the interviewer's name, I do research that person as best I can before the interview, but many times that person has a private LinkedIn Account or you can't find any info on the person. So I walk in blind to the interview, while the interviewer knows much more about me from my resume than I know about him/her. I can research the company all I want, but I usually know nothing about the interviewer and it is the interviewer who determines who will be the right FIT for the position. Humans are humans, any little quirk, or nervousness on my part, or even things I can't control such as my age, can be a deal breaker for the interviewer.

Interviews are tough. And yes, I smile throughout the interview, even though I am not a chit chatter. However, smiling is NOT going to get me a job offer if the interviewer has determined I am not the right FIT for various reasons I will never know.

I would also like to know where there are interview classes and how you tailor your interviews to the interviewer(s) not just the company.

Old 04-29-2017, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDude25 View Post
Do you not have friends or family members already working in companies that can give you an employee reference for a job opening?
I have already stated in other posts about my family NOT wanting to help me in my job search. As to friends, well since I am not a people person or chit chatter I don't really have many friends. The few friends I have live in different states, and one of those friends is unemployed like me, and the other friend lives on social security.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDude25 View Post
Also why don't you also go get certificates in a field you like? Or why don't you go to nursing school or learn a trade? You can't just keep applying for jobs, you aren't getting jobs because you probably lack the skills and certificates/credentials needed that other candidates may have.
See we are talking about two different things. You are "ass"-uming I am not getting job offers because I "probably lack the skills and certificates/credentials needed that other candidates may have." Whereas I am stating I am not getting job offers because I am not the right FIT.

I am getting interviews. I am seemingly passing the certificates/qualifications requirement for the function of the job, because I am being put on the shortlist for interviews. Once I get to the interview, it always seems to be ONLY about personality or FIT. When I get rejection notices from interviews, they ALWAYS state I am an excellent candidate and my qualifications are good but I was not the right FIT for the position. In my messed up world, I don't think I am lacking in skills/certs/credentials I am lacking in the type of personality (FIT) they are looking for for the position. How does one become the right FIT? Can one go to school for that?

As to doing nursing, not going to happen as I am not a people person, I am smart enough to know that I am not going to do a job that I will hate and thus make the patients' lives hell, just because I need a job and supposedly the nursing profession is begging for people.

A trade? What trade is going to take on a 50 year old female? Seriously, do you think I can go back to school to be an electrician or work in construction? (although I do know how to paint and do drywall) Never going to happen and most people know it.

One thing I may do is try to do house cleaning under the table. That is an acceptable trade for a 50 year old female. My mom did it, however she always said it was a constant struggle to get paid. Oh well, I guess I will have to take my chances to get my crumbs.

Old 04-29-2017, 11:52 AM

334 posts, read 221,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
Anyway, I have no control over companies I interviewed with that can't make decisions, or companies that interview for jobs that don't exist. Out of the 29 interviews I have been on I have seen probably at least half of the jobs come back up on the job boards within 3-6 months.
Absolutely! I have seen that happen with quite a few of the jobs I've applied to as well. Some of them never even granted me an interview, but they have reposted the job ad 3-6 months later. It makes me wonder:

1. Did they hire someone and she/he did not work out and was fired?
2. They are a horrible company and the person a) walked out or b) found another job?
3. They couldn't find someone, hired a temp, and they are looking again for someone?
4. The company has no clue what they are doing?

I've also had rejections because the company decided to put the job on hold and told me they don't know if or when it will be filled.

Old 04-29-2017, 12:07 PM

334 posts, read 221,374 times
peebola, I love your posts and happen to agree with 99% of what you say! It's too bad that some people on here think that the unemployed have something wrong with them. How can that be when we have had jobs in the past? I have had some very good professional admin assistant positions!

One HUGE problem I have are panel interviews where they tell you there will be 5-6 people in the room at one time. Cannot stand those types and have blown them off.

I also dislike it when they say, "You will be here for three hours" and send you a schedule that states you will be meeting with Joe Schmo from 1:00-1:30, Suzy Q from 1:30-2:00, Bob Jones from 2:00-2:30, Jo Blow from 2:30-3:00, and finally, the senior executive who will be your boss from 3:00-4:00. Excuse me? Why can't I just meet with the senior executive and MAYBE one other person and be done with it? H/R already does a phone screening on me beforehand, so why the need for all of these extra people???

Old 04-30-2017, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexy633 View Post
peebola, I love your posts and happen to agree with 99% of what you say! It's too bad that some people on here think that the unemployed have something wrong with them. How can that be when we have had jobs in the past? I have had some very good professional admin assistant positions!
I agree! I have had many jobs in the past, I used to get hired, some jobs were contract temporary, some jobs I stayed at for years. But now I guess I suck. Or maybe it is because of my grey hair and my age, or maybe the workplace is now riddled with insane people. Who knows? I do know it is NOT 100% my fault that I am still unemployed. Not that *that* matters...I am still unemployed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexy633 View Post
I also dislike it when they say, "You will be here for three hours" and send you a schedule that states you will be meeting with Joe Schmo from 1:00-1:30, Suzy Q from 1:30-2:00, Bob Jones from 2:00-2:30, Jo Blow from 2:30-3:00, and finally, the senior executive who will be your boss from 3:00-4:00. Excuse me? Why can't I just meet with the senior executive and MAYBE one other person and be done with it? H/R already does a phone screening on me beforehand, so why the need for all of these extra people???
Suzy Q! So funny. They always seem to be the Suzy Q types don't they?

My last interview, I was there for one hour and had to talk to two people at separate times. Not too bad I suppose. Now, a three hour interview is overkill in my opinion. Just because someone is unemployed doesn't mean they have all the time in the world to talk to Suzy Q, Jo Blow and Jo Shmo at separate times, where all three ask the same questions so you have to answer the same questions three times over. Irritating. Sorry employed people, that is big time irritating and rude in my opinion. It always seems to me that Suzy Q, Jo Blow and Jo Shmo only do those type of interviews to get out of their boring job duties for the day and to show how "important" they are that the company picked them to interview the pathetic unemployed loser.

Or maybe I am just crazy.

At my last interview, the second person I interviewed with (the Hiring Manager), told me he didn't understand why HR kept sending him people to interview for the Customer Service position. He said he needed someone quick and HR kept sending him more people. Two days later I get a rejection email from HR which said I was not the right FIT, and they were going to pursue other applicants that were the right FIT. I noticed the job is still advertised on Indeed.

See I am the one that is crazy. Right?

Old 04-30-2017, 09:33 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,185,115 times
Quote:
Where do you get interview practice from? Seriously. And is this practice tailored to any interviewer you might meet in the interview?

I spent three years with career coaches and placement centers doing mock interviews and going to information sessions to get better at interviewing and this is what I found out.

There is no set path of do exactly this, and you will get this. Everyone has their own opinion on what is the right way.

Sure there are very common sense things everyone should do, but that is not enough to land a job today.

The days of show up a few minutes early, dress well, have a firm hand shake, great smile with a good attitude and you will get hired are over.

Employers today are just too picky, have unrealistic expectations, and you couple that with not wanting to take any risk and not much good comes out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search