Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 01:56 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Will most of those positions be filled internally?
No, few if any. When we have an opening that could be filled internally, we do not put it on our public website. It's typically advertised only internally and for just 3 days, and that's only done if we have someone in mind that is well qualified and we think is interested. I was promoted to manager without it being announced to the public, and I promoted one of my staff the same way. When advertised to the public an internal candidate could still apply and get it, however that usually means the hiring manager knows of no one inside that is qualified or that he/she wants to hire, and prefers to get some "fresh blood." One way to ensure this is to set the required experience longer than anyone inside at a lower level can meet. We do not waste people's time (and our own) by advertising a job, screening and rating hundreds of applications, interviewing 20-30 people if we intend to give it to someone already here. People think that's common, and it might be, but we consider it a waste of time and money with no benefit to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 05:12 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,751,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
No, few if any. When we have an opening that could be filled internally, we do not put it on our public website. It's typically advertised only internally and for just 3 days, and that's only done if we have someone in mind that is well qualified and we think is interested. I was promoted to manager without it being announced to the public, and I promoted one of my staff the same way. When advertised to the public an internal candidate could still apply and get it, however that usually means the hiring manager knows of no one inside that is qualified or that he/she wants to hire, and prefers to get some "fresh blood." One way to ensure this is to set the required experience longer than anyone inside at a lower level can meet. We do not waste people's time (and our own) by advertising a job, screening and rating hundreds of applications, interviewing 20-30 people if we intend to give it to someone already here. People think that's common, and it might be, but we consider it a waste of time and money with no benefit to us.
Well I had my time wasted before when a particular company advertised to the public knowing they already filled the position from the inside. And I figured that was the norm since most employers only want people from the inside or referrals from people on the inside.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:00 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,346,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
Competition and excessive pickiness.
This is why i dont like ever looking for a job

Old 05-26-2017, 06:02 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,466 times
I am not sure if it is changed or is it more of a "it has always been this way" but these are my 5 short personal observations with job hunting:

1) Is your degree seen as "useless" by the employer?

2) Excessive competition for very few openings. I.e... you apply for a job through LinkedIn and you see that they have already received 100+ applications, oh and by the way they are only looking to bring in one new guy so good luck with that...

3) Job was already filled but is posted online anyway.

4) They have someone internal to fill the position but job is posted online anyway.

5) You bring little to no experience and are looking for that "foot in the door" in order to build up experience? Well good luck because now that "foot in the door" wants 2-3 years of previous experience. And yes even though we want 2-3 years of experience we are still going to call it entry level, you know just to mess with people.

Old 05-27-2017, 01:17 PM

334 posts, read 221,545 times
I don't know what's going on out there. It seems just as bad now as it did during the deep recession of 2008-2011. Even temp agencies don't get back to candidates who apply online to their ads. You call them up and they say, "Please apply on our website and we will get back to you." It used to be that you'd call them up, make an appointment, meet with a recruiter, take some tests, and BOOM....they'd have a temp or temp to hire job in a day or two for you.

I've even started applying to $12/hour jobs that SHOULD be paying a lot more. I have over 15 years experience, a degree, and a very good resume too.

Oh, and here's something else I've noticed a lot of lately - they have internal candidates and hire them OR they decide to put the job on hold/cancel.

Old 05-27-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexy633 View Post
I don't know what's going on out there. It seems just as bad now as it did during the deep recession of 2008-2011. Even temp agencies don't get back to candidates who apply online to their ads. You call them up and they say, "Please apply on our website and we will get back to you." It used to be that you'd call them up, make an appointment, meet with a recruiter, take some tests, and BOOM....they'd have a temp or temp to hire job in a day or two for you.

I've even started applying to $12/hour jobs that SHOULD be paying a lot more. I have over 15 years experience, a degree, and a very good resume too.

Oh, and here's something else I've noticed a lot of lately - they have internal candidates and hire them OR they decide to put the job on hold/cancel.
For most temp agencies you have to apply to the positions that you have experience in so they can refer you to the right places.

Old 05-27-2017, 05:44 PM

334 posts, read 221,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
For most temp agencies you have to apply to the positions that you have experience in so they can refer you to the right places.
Uhhhhh, yes, that is what I do. It shouldn't be that hard to get a temp office job, but it is in my area at least.

Old 05-27-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Uhhhhh, yes, that is what I do. It shouldn't be that hard to get a temp office job, but it is in my area at least.
Well maybe your information is in their database so they can contact you when those type of jobs become available.

Old 05-31-2017, 01:07 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,836,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
I am not sure if it is changed or is it more of a "it has always been this way" but these are my 5 short personal observations with job hunting:

1) Is your degree seen as "useless" by the employer?

2) Excessive competition for very few openings. I.e... you apply for a job through LinkedIn and you see that they have already received 100+ applications, oh and by the way they are only looking to bring in one new guy so good luck with that...

3) Job was already filled but is posted online anyway.

4) They have someone internal to fill the position but job is posted online anyway.

5) You bring little to no experience and are looking for that "foot in the door" in order to build up experience? Well good luck because now that "foot in the door" wants 2-3 years of previous experience. And yes even though we want 2-3 years of experience we are still going to call it entry level, you know just to mess with people.
I think #2 might be my biggest issue. For every management gig I apply to, there seem to be many applicants already. For tech positions there are barely 2-3 candidates that meet the qualifications and it's much easier if you know your stuff and are up to date.

But going from a tech position to management I've noticed there is much more competition, and I'm sure they have the art of BS down pat. I've noticed the most technically incompetent people in corporate survive a few years, get laid off when found out, then score another position within months. Knowing them and seeing the pattern it's clear they are big schmoozers.

Old 05-31-2017, 01:22 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,836,727 times
Quote:

I've actually noticed a few other people I know not finding anything as of late. I too am wondering if there is a general slow down in hiring, at least in some sectors. According to these guys tech jobs are down 40%. Again just their study, but it's starting to match reality it seems for me...

https://medium.com/@cameronmoll/tech...t-3d6f658d9faf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search