Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 02:54 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,286,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
What is the biggest resume lie you or someon you know has gotten away with?
I felt an IT contractor's claim he had a Master's Degree in CS was suspect. I became suspicious when talking to him about his education that he referred to his Master's degree as being "out of date". He also didn't need the Master's degree considering how much experience he had, and guys from his generation didn't often get a Master's in CS. If they got a Master's it was usually in Math, EE or ME.

So I called the college and they revealed he didn't graduate from there, and was never enrolled in the Master's degree. But he had been enrolled in the undergraduate degree program for two years and dropped out and no degree.

The thing was, he really didn't need a Master's degree for the job considering he had so many years of experience already, but he was sporting a big ego the way he talked and so I sensed there wasn't something legit about the guy. It turned out I was right. And the place he claimed to have an undergraduate degree from he didn't have a degree from that place either.

I don't know why people lie about something that is so easy to check. You can call up any college, and ask if someone has a degree from there and what kind of degree, and the dates the attended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 04:00 PM

715 posts, read 1,073,506 times
I’ve known people to lie about the employment at a fake company and have a buddy act as their “manager”, but it’s way too easy to verify school enrollment status, dates, and degrees. Plus you could be asked for transcripts at any time, especially if you’re attempting to use your degree as a major hiring point and reason for an increased starting salary.

“Oh, you say you have a Master’s degree? Well, we were only paying 75K for this job, but this is different! We will pay you six figures and we won’t bother to verify that you have it.”

Same thing with certifications. It’s easy to verify with the certifying entity whether or not you have a credential. My previous employer verified my PMP certification as a part of my background check. Don’t put down letters that don’t belong there.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:04 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,296,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
What company doesn't verify education these days? Thats hard to believe. Did he tell the truth initially when he got his original job
Many of them don't. Why? There are a lot of schools and universities that have moved away from having the registrar verify education to have a third party service fill that role. The National Student Clearinghouse is where most of this can be done for free, but I think you have to have the candidate's permission, which shouldn't be a big deal if the employer communicates the desire to verify education rather than trying to be sneaky about it.

This should work for most community colleges and state higher education systems. I don't know about private colleges.

National Student Clearinghouse

Old 07-19-2018, 12:03 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,286,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
Many of them don't. Why? There are a lot of schools and universities that have moved away from having the registrar verify education to have a third party service fill that role. The National Student Clearinghouse is where most of this can be done for free, but I think you have to have the candidate's permission, which shouldn't be a big deal if the employer communicates the desire to verify education rather than trying to be sneaky about it.

This should work for most community colleges and state higher education systems. I don't know about private colleges.

National Student Clearinghouse
You don't need to have the candidate's permission or even be an employer to find out if someone graduated from a specific college and with what degree. When I did this, I didn't even have to identify who I was and why I was asking. Simply called the college and asked and they provided the information over the phone.

I asked the college I graduated from. They said they use the National Student Clearinghouse, and that permission isn't needed because they regard the information of their graduates to be "directory information". The inform provided without permission is the date of graduation, the degree and major. Anything else would require permission.

So it is pretty easy to verify a degree claim. With the use of third-party background check companies they cover the whole thing including verifying education. But to go transcripts, they would need to be authorized.

Last edited by eastcoastguyz; 07-19-2018 at 12:28 PM..

Old 07-19-2018, 12:32 PM

369 posts, read 325,246 times
After 40 yrs of owning a closely held corp. The task of finding employables is the part of owning a business that I do not miss. It was around a 30 to 1 shot even after a background and prior employer conversation.
The best clue I would get when inquiring the work ethics from a previous employment was, no comment.
They would miss the interview. They would not show up for the first day of work. They would steal for my customers. They would disappear from their daily assignments. In 40 yrs. three were wonderful and ended up with the business when I retired.
Employers today are much luckier, they can Automate. In addition to all the efficiency reasons, I've never had a piece of equipment lie to my face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search