Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 03:30 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadhunterPaul View Post
To make this point clear- when multiple external recruiters send a hiring company the same resume of the same person, that company will toss/file that person's resume due to the conflict of multiple referrals by multiple external recruiters. (In the 'old days', a HA would contact both external recruiters -assuming there were only two- and offer a split fee arrangement but those days are gone and HR simply tosses/files multiple referrals and the person wanting to be hired never sees the light of day.)

For those who use multiple agencies, this is the danger you face- of being referred by more than one agency recruiter.

No, it's not that likely you'll be referred by more than one recruiter to the same job. Recruiters want job seekers to tell them where else they are interviewing, so they can find out about open job positions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 05:03 PM

856 posts, read 1,052,063 times
Exclamation Recruiter Run Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
No, it's not that likely you'll be referred by more than one recruiter to the same job. Recruiters want job seekers to tell them where else they are interviewing, so they can find out about open job positions.
PV,

You are merging what you think you know with what you don't know.

I am referring to a scenario where an applicant has signed up with multiple agencies and subsequently, there appears a vacancy being advertised for a position for which the applicant is qualified.

Two or more agency recruiters will then send that same person's resume to that same employer, hoping the company agrees to interview their client, the applicant.

1. One agency will contact HR who agrees to receive the resume;

2. Another agency will contact the HA actually hiring for the position who will agree to receive the resume from that agency;

3. Another agency will contact a different person in the company's recruitment department who also agrees to receive the resume;

4. An applicant's resume could even be sent to a hiring company contact who hands that resume off to someone in HR or the appropriate HA;

5. And of course, there is also the possibility that in spite of agreeing to leave things in the hands of the agency recruiters, that applicant may send their resume directly to that company doing the advertising of that vacancy;

5a. That applicant will either be thinking the agencies may have 'missed' seeing the advertised position or they may even, unbelievably, think that sending their resume themselves may 'seal the deal' and add to the chances of their being called in for an interview;

5b. That applicant may also contact each agency, asking them each to send their resume to that same company, hoping that among their multiple referrals, one of them will 'get through' to the appropriate person in that company advertising the vacancy.

Now we have four resumes, of the same person, arriving at the same company.

PV, it is likely you would not know of all these possibilities if you were not in the employment business. As it is, all you did was cut and paste a favorite post by many here who have all said what you said, that agencies want to know where their client has already applied but this does not cover all the other scenarios that can also occur.

1. The HA may or may not ask in advance, for the name of the applicant, to compare that name with other resumes s/he had already received;

2. The recruiters in HR may or may not ask for the name of the agencies' client to compare to resumes already received.

What you missed, PV, in your rush to judgment, is that once an applicant signs their agreement for [multiple] employment agencies to represent them, they have no control of to which companies those agencies subsequently send their resume.

Most internal recruiters are swamped and rushed and in many cases, may just say, 'fine, send it' and hang up, not realizing they have opened the door to a can of worms.

Furthermore, in many cases, that busy recruiter (with that useless degree and little experience) doesn't care what conflicts may arise since to them, it is merely a matter of tossing duplicate resumes into the round file while they continue to sift incoming resumes. That a gem may have been discarded in their rush to get through a pile of resumes is not their concern.

Another example of staff members being more caught up in their processes than results.

Once that resume is received in multiples, the damage is done and the conflict is eventually discovered, all to the disadvantage of the applicant.

Or not. In some cases, a savvy HR member will understand the rules of the road and will notify the agencies who sent them a second/third/fourth version of the same resume that their referral was preceded by another agency.

The bottom line is that what you posted, PV, did not address what I said.

Paul...............

Old 12-19-2017, 08:43 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times
Quote:
That's not how it worked for me. I use recruiters to find jobs all the time. They found my previous position and my current one. In either case, if I already applied for a position on the company website. They would skip it.

Fortune 500 companies have these positions publicly posted. They need job seekers to tell recruiters, where the website is.

The hiring managers often have recruiters that they use over and over again, due to previous placements working out well for the team. For my current role, the same recruiter placed 3 of the 4 positions.

The same recruiter actually placed the hiring manager, 2 years ago. He knows that the recruiter is good finding the right candidates. The job was never posted for external candidates, as it's contract to hire like the manager's previous contract.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:47 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
People, don't ever tell a recruiter where else you have interviewed. They can then send their own candidates to interview for that job position and compete against you.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:20 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times
Quote:
People, don't ever tell a recruiter where else you have interviewed. They can then send their own candidates to interview for that job position and compete against you.
They must be screwing me over royally, because I always tell them.

I went from $25k to $50k after working with first recruiter ever. In latest job change this year, I went from $97k to $125k+ with another recruiter.

I'll keep telling them, so they screw me over again in 2 years and get me to $150k. *smile*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search