Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2018, 09:53 PM

47 posts, read 70,759 times

Advertisements

I am a displaced mother with 2 children displaced in florida. We are staying with some people who told us to leave Monday night. So we are basically homeless. I am looking for work. Is there any jobs that pay to relocate, include housing? like a farm job, my children are 13 and 14 and could help me , they are very well behaved. we also have our cat. I have mostly been a full time mother with not too much outside work experience but I can type, clean, cook, I have no criminal backround. I do not use drugs, alcohol, pills or smoke. I have good hygiene . I have decent credit. I will agree to a backround check, and drug test if needed. I just want to get out of here we are in a bad situation and its a long story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 10:10 PM

166 posts, read 116,736 times
what part of Florida do you reside??

Offhand the only thing that comes to mind is caregiving or a motel. Trade for a motel room+ a little income in a mom and pop hotel

. You'd probably need to do it for less than Minimum Wage in order to help barter for your children to also have a free place to stay. You, sure, children well that's another matter.

You should look into subsidized housing. At least get on the list to pay 30% of your income, which generally comes with some paid utilities. You can always turn them down. I am afraid that is all I have to contribute which isn't much. You will be in my prayers

Old 02-16-2018, 07:21 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyLongLeg View Post
what part of Florida do you reside??

Offhand the only thing that comes to mind is caregiving or a motel. Trade for a motel room+ a little income in a mom and pop hotel

. You'd probably need to do it for less than Minimum Wage in order to help barter for your children to also have a free place to stay. You, sure, children well that's another matter.

You should look into subsidized housing. At least get on the list to pay 30% of your income, which generally comes with some paid utilities. You can always turn them down. I am afraid that is all I have to contribute which isn't much. You will be in my prayers
Also, housing may be included for apartment manager, forest ranger, park aide, some prison guards, farm workers, butler, personal chef. All require experience, however. Relocation expense is normally only provided for high-level executive positions, or high paying tech jobs for top-notch recruits. Since you can clean and cook, you might find something locally but it may take some time to find an opportunity. Even subsidized housing will have a waiting list. Do you have any family that could help out?

Old 02-16-2018, 04:05 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Also, housing may be included for apartment manager, forest ranger, park aide
"Forest ranger" and other government agency jobs might provide housing if the duty location is remote. If, say, a national park is offering a volunteer position they may provide free housing, but not board, and usually a shared bunkhouse situation; can't accommodate kids. Also depends on whether the job is seasonal, temporary, limited term, or permanent. Moving expenses might be provided for a permanent position, but it depends on the vacancy and how it is funded...it will state so right in the announcement.

None of these options will help the OP right now. The recruitment and hiring process takes months.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:51 PM

15 posts, read 24,102 times
Try working at a horse farm or something like that. There are a ****ton of them in FL. It is very common to have a caretaker live for free and get a decent wage. Start calling right now! Where are the numbers you say? Yellow pages, facebook, etc.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:18 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,761,989 times
I wouldn't count on finding anything - at least until maybe when the snowbirds start to leave, but perhaps scour ad listings for long-term house-sitter. Definitely search for non-chain motel manager, many require live-in managers.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:34 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
I ended up living in a shelter, when I had no income. If you get into a residency program, you can use the shelter address for the home address.

I stayed 8 months and saved up enough money to get a car and my own apartment.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:47 AM

35,054 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Unless you have unique skills, it's almost impossible to find anything with paid relocation. If you're not able to relocate at your own expense, you're probably stuck where you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search