Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 08:53 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,690,775 times

Advertisements

I really don't want to leave the country(nor teach) however, a friend of my mind told me about leaving the country to teach English in say Japan or Dubai or Singapore etc for 2 years. Maybe I should try that instead? Has anyone considered leaving America to find work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 09:15 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,829 times
I say go for it and see if you get any bites. I have an interview for a position in South Korea on Monday. What does it hurt? I am sick of being poor and figure if leaving the country is my ticket out of poverty, then that is what I am going to do. I already had one interview in the United Arab Emirates, but didn't get the job.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:20 AM

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
I say go for it and see if you get any bites. I have an interview for a position in South Korea on Monday. What does it hurt? I am sick of being poor and figure if leaving the country is my ticket out of poverty, then that is what I am going to do. I already had one interview in the United Arab Emirates, but didn't get the job.
It seems ironic... People have to LEAVE America to escape poverty?

Old 04-21-2012, 10:09 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,782,559 times
I wish I could move to Europe, but unfortunately most Countries won't accept Americans for work without a company sponsoring them or having some very in demand skill set that can't be found by that country.

Maybe Asian countries are easier with the teach English thing. But based on my research, Europe, Canada, Australia/NZ, etc. are very hard to emigrate to from the US.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:20 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,380,609 times
Interesting. I spoke with a miner yesterday...he travelled the world for jobs, he was in high demand, knowing how to run various rigs. He told me it was lonely work, isolated, and he always came back with some strange parasite. Good money though.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:46 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
I really don't want to leave the country(nor teach) however, a friend of my mind told me about leaving the country to teach English in say Japan or Dubai or Singapore etc for 2 years. Maybe I should try that instead? Has anyone considered leaving America to find work?
If you really don't want to leave the country or teach then don't even think about it as you'll be totally miserable. It's difficult enough fitting into a new environment without adding to the adjustment pains by being in a place you don't want to be and doing a job you don't want to do. A recipe for certain disaster on all fronts.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:56 PM

750 posts, read 1,446,165 times
I applied to teach English in Japan had 4 rounds of cuts did not make the last. Korea has more jobs not as easy as it once was to land something. Way more people who want jobs then jobs was not always this way. Buddy worked in Japan for 6 years married local girl now in Korea he is not coming back. Why come back so you can fight 100 other people over a 20 hour a week job at Sears. Or maybe he would get lucky and work as a unpaid intern like he did before he left.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:57 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
I actaully know nmneroius people who work arouf the world al but like 90 days a year for tax reasons. Most are in the oil business and its been common since the 70's here. Most return in their 50's to retire securely.My wifes couisn is just turning thirty and he has been working over season in the computer field after workig for MS and Compac after finishing college. He also plans to return and retire at about 50.Not sure that teaching allows the same benfits tho or salary increase over workig domestically.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:54 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,690,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
It seems ironic... People have to LEAVE America to escape poverty?
i agree

Old 04-21-2012, 03:01 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
I know someone that just got back from Japan, but his teaching assignment was only for 6 months. He was not interested in staying after seeing how high the cost of living is even compared to here. Most of the European countries have worse economic conditions than the US. Even Dubai suffered a few years but has returned to near normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search