Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 08:05 AM

757 posts, read 1,094,546 times

Advertisements

So we see a lot of advice given by the authorities of job searching. Network for your next job! Reach out to your past co-workers and ask them if they know who the hiring person for X company or whether they can help you find a job within their organization.

It's good advice. Referrals are always good especially if the person referring can vouch for your abilities.

But here's the problem I've run into. Very few have lifted a finger to help me after I ask. These are people that I know and have always been respectful to and have helped myself.

Maybe it's that many have been conditioned to somehow see one as a threat or that many are just selfish and relish the fact that they now are "important" and you are not? After all, you're unemployed and so that must be something wrong with you. Or people are just lazy, have short memories and just don't care. There's nothing in it for them.

It's disappointing to see but that's ok. I'm not surprised. Human nature will be human nature. I'll remember if/when the time comes.

I know, I know...maybe it's me. I'm rotten and a terrible worker. There's something wrong with me. After all, why else would this be happening? I can hear it now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 11:47 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
What do you expect them to do that they are not doing?

Old 05-12-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
What do you expect them to do that they are not doing?
Return a call/email when I ask for help. Saying they will help and then not answering the phone when I try to follow up. Just basic curtesy like I show my business friends/colleagues when I help them. Saying "no, I can't help" is fine too but at least tell me.

Old 05-12-2018, 01:15 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,661 times
Its normal, most don't want to take the risk (or tell you no), but how you approach it makes a big difference.

It only really works if you approach it in a way that it appears, or actually are, helping the other person first, not yourself.

Really just networking and sales 101 type stuff.

Old 05-12-2018, 01:23 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
All I can say is that TRUE friends should help friends.

But how many of us have TRUE business or work friends -- vs -- professional acquaintances....who say they they'll help -- but really don't have an emotional attachment to you and, therefore, aren't really vested in your success -- like someone who really cared about you would.

Personally, I help even acquaintances, and I also go out of my way to help people. Why not?
It's how I was raised. But most people these days -- sad to say -- aren't raised to be ultra thoughtful when it comes to others.

To be fair, I help most often when it's NOT a direct reference, vouching for a person. But if I hear of something in a field I know someone is hoping to get into....what does it hurt me to pass that info along? But you have to care about people, and be mindful of people to have it occur to you to do that. And, as I said, I don't think most people are that thoughtful.

(For example, when I was job hunting for me...I was all over the Internet searching, and came across all kinds of jobs not in my field....but I knew coworkers who wanted to find something else. So IF I came across something they'd mentioned they were interested in....why not say, "Hey, I saw that XYZ has a position posted for a given position." I do that all the time.)

I also don't BS just to BS....if I'm not willing to help you, or open to it....I don't offer, volunteer, or say I'll do it, just to make chit-chat.

I don't want to say that people in business are "phony" when it comes to networking. Let's just say, I think people say things about helping others, so THEY can perhaps get help in return.....and that is really what they're after.

Last edited by selhars; 05-12-2018 at 01:39 PM..

Old 05-12-2018, 01:33 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,661 times
There is very little compassion left in Americans.

Old 05-12-2018, 04:51 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,461,642 times
In my most recent job search, I reached out to some colleagues to get interviews. I got some interviews as a result of my network, but my job offer did not come from a networking sourced job interview.

In the job before that one, I got the job from how well I sold myself during the interview process. I did not have an internal link in there.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:56 AM

1,063 posts, read 697,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
There is very little compassion left in Americans.
Dog eat dog

Old 05-13-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
Dog eat dog
This is true. It's actually very easy and rewarding to help others. You don't have to go over and beyond if you don't want to.

Old 05-13-2018, 11:20 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEHelp View Post
So we see a lot of advice given by the authorities of job searching. Network for your next job! Reach out to your past co-workers and ask them if they know who the hiring person for X company or whether they can help you find a job within their organization.

It's good advice. Referrals are always good especially if the person referring can vouch for your abilities.

But here's the problem I've run into. Very few have lifted a finger to help me after I ask. These are people that I know and have always been respectful to and have helped myself.

Maybe it's that many have been conditioned to somehow see one as a threat or that many are just selfish and relish the fact that they now are "important" and you are not? After all, you're unemployed and so that must be something wrong with you. Or people are just lazy, have short memories and just don't care. There's nothing in it for them.

It's disappointing to see but that's ok. I'm not surprised. Human nature will be human nature. I'll remember if/when the time comes.

I know, I know...maybe it's me. I'm rotten and a terrible worker. There's something wrong with me. After all, why else would this be happening? I can hear it now
That's a good point about some of the facile advice people toss around, regarding a variety of situations. Life is rarely so simple. The kind of simplistic advice people hand out tends to require the cooperation of other people, whether it's putting a profile up on a dating site, or "networking" to find a job, or any number of other types of situations.

Probably some of your contacts don't know of any openings (in which case, all they have to do is say that), or are unmotivated to make an effort to contact someone on your behalf. Inertia plays a role, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search