Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 02:52 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,105,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
Should I add the classes I took in college? There were only 3.
You want to emphasize the knowledge and skills that you have that are relevant to the position that you are applying for. If the college classes you took are relevant, yes, you should list them. So if you are applying for a job in customer service, and the college courses are in medieval history, you need not list them. If they are in business marketing or retailing or something that is relevant, you should list them. Also, even though the retail management job you had is more than 20 years old, if that experience would help you in the job you are applying for, you should list the management job on your resume.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 02:54 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Honestly, your resume shows four unrelated jobs and no real education. You have an uphill battle against candidates with real career trajectories.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:04 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Be consistent with periods.

Quote:
• Provided quotes for outside sales reps to present to customers.
• Entered Purchase Orders for computer software through the GE system as well as our order
entry system
• Kept track of the shipping of all orders to verify they were shipped in a timely manner and
research information on orders that are on credit hold
• Ordering office and kitchen supplies and keeping inventory
• Organized training classes including signing the customer up through our website, sending
confirmation letters, ordering training books and supplies.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:27 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
OP, you’ve made many threads saying you have 20 years experience doing X, Y, and Z, but that is not reflected in this resume. Instead there are few common skills. The grammar is also lacking. You have different tenses/verb structure within one job. If you switched duties at some point, then you should have that separated, but generally speaking if you aren’t working at a job anymore, it should be in past tense.

Perhaps you have made it more vague because this is a public forum, but I want to know about what types of orders you are processing. Are they complex, multi-item orders that have to be arranged with multiple vendors? Is there an average cost of these orders on a daily basis? Employers like to see numbers and concrete figures, while this is pretty vague. For example, if you provided quotes for outside sales reps, how many of those did you provide? How many purchase orders were you entering daily, monthly, etc? How big was the office you were supplying?

Old 12-11-2018, 05:53 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
One more thing...drop the Trip Coordinator job. It's not related to anything you're pursuing.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:44 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,369,560 times
Didn't you state on another thread that this was put together by a "professional?" Reading through it I have a very hard time believing that. If so, I'd demand my money back with all of the errors and oversights.

I agree with a poster above to remove the objective. I've never used one in my professional career and have never had trouble getting my foot in the door.

Remember to tailor the resume and cover letter for the job you're applying for. If the job description states "Customer service skills" then you'd better be certain to list "Customer service" within both in the event they are utilizing search term software (many do).

Speaking of cover letters, are you sending one? I would ALWAYS send one whenever possible, even if it's not expressly requested.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:46 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Also, even though the retail management job you had is more than 20 years old, if that experience would help you in the job you are applying for, you should list the management job on your resume.
the entire resume is short for someone with years experience, looks at it, I would have thought new high school grad, maybe 22-25. but looking at the dates and seeing 20 years of working experience, the resume doesn't match up.

even staying at one job for 20 years would net someone more skills by virtue of learning through attrition via technology

Old 12-12-2018, 10:33 PM

17,587 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Go to a Targeted Resume format. Muche more modern and up to date style

https://www.americasjobexchange.com/...resume-formats

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/ho...resume-2063193

Old 12-13-2018, 07:35 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,228,935 times
Here are my suggestions.

1) Get a mail.com email address - it has 200 different domains and you can choose a professional looking email address that stands out and makes a great first impression.
You're reviewing resumes. One resume has email johndoe28347(at)gmail(dot)com and the second one is johndoe(at)accountant(dot)com - which looks more professional?

The following two help you get past the Applicant Tracking Systems:

2) Add keywords to every single position you've done.
Example: Purchaser job:
Keywords: purchase, orders, negotiation, etc. (you know what keywords are good, add them)

ATS always searches for keywords.

3) ATS optimize your resume. Free tools exist online, just google for them.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:32 PM

538 posts, read 386,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
the entire resume is short for someone with years experience, looks at it, I would have thought new high school grad, maybe 22-25. but looking at the dates and seeing 20 years of working experience, the resume doesn't match up.

even staying at one job for 20 years would net someone more skills by virtue of learning through attrition via technology
How does it not match up? I have 20 years working with customers and sales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search