Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2008, 02:19 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,222,028 times

Advertisements

I am a teacher who is considering relocating from Montana to Wyoming because pay is so much better there. I have a phone interview scheduled this week with the State of Wyoming. It isn't a teaching position, but is in my field of working with people with disabilities. Being I am in Montana they requested a phone interview rather than having me travel there for the interview. I have never been interviewed by phone before. I would like any advice anyone can give me. I have "boned up" on what the job qualifications are, the job description, the disability laws, etc. but I have no idea what to expect during this interview. I don't know if there will be a group of people on speakerphone or if it will be one-on-one with just one person. I am big on giving good eye contact and feel I do well at "reading people" by their body language, so this could be difficult for me, having to guess what people are thinking! Please......any advice is greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 04:35 PM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Have your bio in front of you with paper and pen
Repeat the interviewer's name, you did not understand it - ask
Be dressed for an interview as it will come through on the other end
Have questions ready and on paper
Do not ramble
Thank for the interview and ask for contact information
Chill:>)

Old 05-26-2008, 04:41 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,244,197 times
If you are on a cordless or cell make sure the battery is fully charged.

If you have kids or pets make sure that you go behind a closed door for the duration of the interview to minimize any noise.

Other than that I have never found a phone interview to be any different from a face to face interview.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:09 PM

120 posts, read 482,202 times
The suggestions provided already are pretty good...also, make sure you have a spot where you can talk on the phone if the interview is conducted during the day...if you're in a cube, you might have to be creative about that...

Even though it is not a face-to-face, don't take it lightly. You might want to save some of the really "technical" questions for the face-to-face interview, though...try to ask more general questions. One purpose of the phone interview is to see whether it is worth it to make the trip to the interview site.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:24 PM

Thanks to all of you for the advice! I think I'm in pretty good shape as far as logistics go. I will be in my classroom with my door closed with no one else around and have privacy for the entire time it should take for the interview. It is before school in the morning. Good idea on the cell phone. I think that when they call me I might ask if they prefer that I be on a landline and if so ask them to call me on that phone instead. Any other ideas out there....I'm all ears! (Eyes! ) Thanks!

Old 05-27-2008, 12:09 AM

983 posts, read 4,443,006 times
I had a phone interview last Oct or Nov with a Federal Agency. They had three people on a conf call. The main thing is to prepare for questions that are the norm with most interviews like:
Tell us about your experiences and background that qualifies you for this position
Why do you want to work for the State of WY
We have many candidates interested so why should we hire you over them

Also eat a light breakfast so you will feel energized.
Stand in a mirror and answer questions out loud as if someone was asking you. Also it is important to smile over the phone, it really shows through.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:54 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,902,939 times
All good advice...

Some of the "canned" questions you need to prepare for:

List of strengths and weaknesses. As in any interview, word the weakness so that it is perceived as a strength.

Prepare examples of your work...if you had projects you would like to discuss, note down those projects and be prepared to discuss them as it relates to the job you are applying for.

Get contact info - phone #'s, e-mail addy's so you can send thank you's.

Make sure that if you are asked why you are looking, you provide a response that is general enough and would not be construed as negative. Do not bash your boss or your company.

If you have call-waiting on that phone and if you have the temporary ability to turn-off call waiting, please do so. The incoming beep is downright annoying for you.

Good luck!

Old 05-27-2008, 08:09 AM

Thanks for more great ideas! It has been so long since I've interviewed for a non-teaching position that these things help me get into the right frame of mind. Isn't it wonderful that so many people are willing to help others on this site? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search