Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 03:22 PM

364 posts, read 1,568,751 times

Advertisements

Let me ask this question as well. I'm not sure that I will or not at this point, but if I do change the flight... obviously the last thing I want to happen is for the company to get a bill for an extra 200 bucks, for example. Considering that the company booked and paid for the original flight, is it possible for the airline to bill me for any change fees? If not, then this is all moot as I certainly don't want to tack on another couple hundred bucks to the company!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 03:22 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
I'd let them know what you'd like to do.

Tell them you'd love to be well rested for the interview and ask is it okay to fly in on the weekend instead?

Old 12-05-2008, 03:24 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,899,782 times
Your option would be to stay a couple days AFTER your interview. Is there any reason why you wouldn't be able to do that? If not, you can find out, from the airline, what the additional cost would be if you stayed a couple extra days. Then, you could be up front in your interview and turn it into a positive by telling them that you decided to extend your trip for a couple extra days to familiarize yourself with New York, at your expense of course. Further, you could tell them that during those extra days, you would be happy to make yourself available if they wanted you to meet with additional personnel. If that's not an option, leave it alone and don't mess with your current, non-refundable itinerary.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:28 PM

JTGJR -- Can't stay after the interview, no. I'm still working at my current job, and there's simply no way I can take three straight days off two weeks before Christmas. Not a bad suggestion though!

GypsySoul -- great idea mentioning the "well rested" part of it!

Old 12-05-2008, 03:31 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,103,892 times
When we don't lie, fudge, hide, we never have to remember anything that will trip us up....

If I were in your situation, I'd quick in a hurry phone my contact at that company, tell them I'd like to stay for the weekend (because ___) and will be happy to pay for (fill in the blank) myself, and would I be able to arrange that with them?

HONESTY IS THE BEST POLICY. Always. Then they will know you are interested, you have independent ideas, you are honest, cooperative and enthusiastic. Whew! Like Obama, put all of you together on one team.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:43 PM

Well I just called the top person who I'll be interviewing with to make sure he didn't have any problems with me doing so... none whatsoever. He actually encouraged it! Even offered to pay for the extra cost of switching the flight, to which I respectfully declined.

Thanks to all for the advice!

Old 12-05-2008, 05:37 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
When we don't lie, fudge, hide, we never have to remember anything that will trip us up....

If I were in your situation, I'd quick in a hurry phone my contact at that company, tell them I'd like to stay for the weekend (because ___) and will be happy to pay for (fill in the blank) myself, and would I be able to arrange that with them?

HONESTY IS THE BEST POLICY. Always. Then they will know you are interested, you have independent ideas, you are honest, cooperative and enthusiastic. Whew! Like Obama, put all of you together on one team.
This is very true.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:24 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkkt6 View Post
Well I just called the top person who I'll be interviewing with to make sure he didn't have any problems with me doing so... none whatsoever. He actually encouraged it! Even offered to pay for the extra cost of switching the flight, to which I respectfully declined.

Thanks to all for the advice!
I book flights for the people coming to interview where I work.

We would never say "no" to a request like that, but you'd be flagged as a possible "PITA" if you know what I'm saying.

Just being honest.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I book flights for the people coming to interview where I work.

We would never say "no" to a request like that, but you'd be flagged as a possible "PITA" if you know what I'm saying.

Just being honest.
Well that's just absurd.

I wouldn't be causing you ANY inconvenience. In fact, you wouldn't have to do anything other than what you've already done. How would I be seen as a pain in the ass in this scenario?

Old 12-05-2008, 07:55 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
I don't think it's absurd. The implication from your original post is that the company had already bought the ticket. Unless they bought you a ticket without mentioning it to you first, you had a chance to make this request prior to them making the arrangements. The person you are interviewing with is probably not the one who made the arrangements, so it's no skin off his nose. The AA or travel secretary, on the other hand, might consider it a nuisance if s/he had to change the itinerary.

Luckily, it sounds like it has worked out for you here, but at another company, you might have had a different outcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search