Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 03:54 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times

Advertisements

Well I feel I can post these bad signs now since the rejection email came today which I was expecting so it wasn't a surprise. So in the future, if you experience any of the situations below you may not get the job.

1. You don't fill out a job application

2. Salary is never brought up by the Interviewer

3.You are told by the interviewer-"I will defintely let you know either way" after asking the next step in the interview proccess.

4.You are never asked-"when would you be able to start?"

5.The interviewer doesn't try sell the job to you at all during the interview.

So if you encounter atleat 3 of the 5 situations above then that's probably not a good sign getting the job. If anyone has anymore feel free to post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 04:41 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
I got a rejection yesterday. One of the people who interviewed me called and told me they picked someone else though 'making a decision was very difficult.'

The one thing I know I screwed up was expressing I wanted more hours than the job was offering.

Other than that, I think I had a very good interview. I figured I blew it once I said I wanted more hours. I knew it that moment. I did ask if there was a chance to work more and they said they would consider it.

It's pretty lousy to not even get offered a 2 day a week job but I know it is not me, it's the economy.

So, it's a bad sign when you 'say you want something different than the job description.'

Anyhow, every interview is a good experience. (I guess).

Old 03-23-2009, 04:45 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
Of your list, I think # 5 is the most telling. Not to say it's automatic, but when I interviewed somebody I was definitely more enthusiastic about having them come aboard than I was if I didn't think they were a good fit.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I got a rejection yesterday. One of the people who interviewed me called and told me they picked someone else though 'making a decision was very difficult.'

The one thing I know I screwed up was expressing I wanted more hours than the job was offering.

Other than that, I think I had a very good interview. I figured I blew it once I said I wanted more hours. I knew it that moment. I did ask if there was a chance to work more and they said they would consider it.

It's pretty lousy to not even get offered a 2 day a week job but I know it is not me, it's the economy.

I know when I asked in Thursday's Job Interview-"what is the next step in the process?

The response wasn't-"I will let you know EITHER WAY" lol

Old 03-23-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Of your list, I think # 5 is the most telling. Not to say it's automatic, but when I interviewed somebody I was definitely more enthusiastic about having them come aboard than I was if I didn't think they were a good fit.

Yeah and I didn't feel that enthusiasm but it's a good learning experience for me to know for the future. Like I said, that No job application was the thing that stood out the most to me.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:53 PM

It's rough out there, TV Guy.

I had a interview in September, right after I finished my temp job of 5 months and damn, I thought I aced that...I had all the office experience and the people skills, but I did not have specific 'medical office experience' and it was this or my lack of being able to travel 'overnight' to seminars that blew it. They kept me a good 1.5 hours talking, being genial, showing me around, just making me 'want the job' so when I got the rejection letter I was pretty broken up. It didn't help the pay was a good $5.00-$10.00 more an hour than I had been making.

Right after that the market crashed and all the jobs dried up around here.

Hindsight is 20/20--you can only analyze things so much...move on to the next one and take all the advice here with a grain of salt.

Even the most 'savvy' business person can find himself or herself easily replaced and if it happens to them, they can realize that being unemployed is not a joke. Long term unemployment is really depressing.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
It's rough out there, TV Guy.

I had a interview in September, right after I finished my temp job of 5 months and damn, I thought I aced that...I had all the office experience and the people skills, but I did not have specific 'medical office experience' and it was this or my lack of being able to travel 'overnight' to seminars that blew it. They kept me a good 1.5 hours talking, being genial, showing me around, just making me 'want the job' so when I got the rejection letter I was pretty broken up. It didn't help the pay was a good $5.00-$10.00 more an hour than I had been making.

Hindsight is 20/20--you can only analyze things so much...move on to the next one and take all the advice here with a grain of salt.

Even the most 'savvy' business person can find himself or herself easily replaced and if it happens to them, they can realize that being unemployed is not a joke. Long term unemployment is really depressing.

Yeah I have no choice but to move on but I will be on the lookout for those 5 signs in the future, especially the APPLICATION-lol

Old 03-23-2009, 04:57 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,127,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Well I feel I can post these bad signs now since the rejection email came today which I was expecting so it wasn't a surprise. So in the future, if you experience any of the situations below you may not get the job.

1. You don't fill out a job application

2. Salary is never brought up by the Interviewer

3.You are told by the interviewer-"I will defintely let you know either way" after asking the next step in the interview proccess.

4.You are never asked-"when would you be able to start?"

5.The interviewer doesn't try sell the job to you at all during the interview.

So if you encounter atleat 3 of the 5 situations above then that's probably not a good sign getting the job. If anyone has anymore feel free to post.

Well, Is the one that you told me would let you know Wednesday?? hmmm it is only Monday, what the hell...

Sorry, but It probably wasn't the right job for you. What was telling was their wishywashyness....I think even employers, especially small business employers are Overwhelmed by the responses they are receiving. They don't have a Staff of H.R. people to weed through the monstrous pile of candidates.

And so, I think they may interview more people than they are used to doing.

But I am sure you have an alternative explanation ;_)

better luck on the next one!!

my interview went well today...It wasn't a slam dunk, but not a wash, either...so we shall see...;-)

Old 03-23-2009, 04:59 PM

Sometimes a small company will NOT make you fill an application out until you get the job. It's not always a bad sign.

Sometimes the HR people or the manager or whoever prefer to interview you, check out the resume and do paperwork once you are hired.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
Well, Is the one that you told me would let you know Wednesday?? hmmm it is only Monday, what the hell...

Sorry, but It probably wasn't the right job for you. What was telling was their wishywashyness....I think even employers, especially small business employers are Overwhelmed by the responses they are receiving. They don't have a Staff of H.R. people to weed through the monstrous pile of candidates.

And so, I think they may interview more people than they are used to doing.

But I am sure you have an alternative explanation ;_)

better luck on the next one!!

my interview went well today...It wasn't a slam dunk, but not a wash, either...so we shall see...;-)

No this was the interview I had two Mondays ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search