Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 04:02 PM

455 posts, read 1,018,515 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I am looking for some advice here. Currently, I am jobless in Michigan. I am looking for work in New York City.

How should I handle any interest from employers. At the moment, I don't have a massive amount of funds, where I will be able to head out to NYC every time a company wants to meet me. I am fine with heading there for a couple interviews IF there is a very very legitimate chance I will land the job.

I just don't have the money to be going back and forth, or even waiting around in NYC for a job. Is it feasible that companies will do phone interviews? Should I even ask?

I guess I am just looking for advice on what to do. If I had the money I spent traveling the world, I would have just moved to NYC jobless, and then look for work. But, alas, I don't have that much money at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 04:32 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
It depends on teh type of work you do. most employers do a phone interview first with out-of-state applicants, after that they might require you to do an in person interview. They may or may not pay your travel expenses, and you may or may not get a job.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:45 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmahorn View Post
Hi there,

I am looking for some advice here. Currently, I am jobless in Michigan. I am looking for work in New York City.

How should I handle any interest from employers. At the moment, I don't have a massive amount of funds, where I will be able to head out to NYC every time a company wants to meet me. I am fine with heading there for a couple interviews IF there is a very very legitimate chance I will land the job.

I just don't have the money to be going back and forth, or even waiting around in NYC for a job. Is it feasible that companies will do phone interviews? Should I even ask?

I guess I am just looking for advice on what to do. If I had the money I spent traveling the world, I would have just moved to NYC jobless, and then look for work. But, alas, I don't have that much money at the moment.

The big question is what type of job are you trying to get in NYC? I would hope it's a executive position knowing how expensive it is to live there.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:12 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,869,001 times
Better question is why do you want to move to NYC? It is a cess pool. It is overcrowed, they have some of the highest taxes in the nation, they have some of the highest cost of living in the nation and just because you live in NYC doesn't mean you will make a lot of money.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:15 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Better question is why do you want to move to NYC? It is a cess pool. It is overcrowed, they have some of the highest taxes in the nation, they have some of the highest cost of living in the nation and just because you live in NYC doesn't mean you will make a lot of money.

I would have to eat FRUIT LOOPS for dinner if I was trying to live off UC in New York City-lol

Old 05-04-2009, 08:22 PM

455 posts, read 1,018,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
I am quite aware of the cost of living in NYC. I did not start this thread to discuss the merits of living in NYC. I want to live in NYC, thus me looking for jobs there. There are no other options in the United States as far as I am concerned.

My question is essentially this: What is the most cost-efficient way to handle the interview process in New York, while I am currently stationed in Michigan? Keeping in mind the details I provided in the OP.

Thank you.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:03 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,147,574 times
Well I am now jobless in NYC. It is not any easier right now getting a job here then it is anywhere else. Even if you were hired, do you have money to move here and start working?

I used to look for work in Florida when I was possibly looking to relocate while still living here and yes, they would give me a phone interview then tell me "ONCE YOU GET OUT HERE CALL US BACK, WE WILL THEN HAVE A JOB FOR YOU" or "COME IN TOMORROW FOR AN INTERVIEW" kind of impossible when you live in another city and state.

But if you get through , good for you and let me know how it goes

Old 05-04-2009, 09:08 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.ortega View Post
Well I am now jobless in NYC. It is not any easier right now getting a job here then it is anywhere else. Even if you were hired, do you have money to move here and start working?

I used to look for work in Florida when I was possibly looking to relocate while still living here and yes, they would give me a phone interview then tell me "ONCE YOU GET OUT HERE CALL US BACK, WE WILL THEN HAVE A JOB FOR YOU" or "COME IN TOMORROW FOR AN INTERVIEW" kind of impossible when you live in another city and state.

But if you get through , good for you and let me know how it goes

I hope he is applying for a management position

Old 05-04-2009, 09:11 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times
I don't have much good advice for you. In my experience, most employers in NYC are reluctant to hire people who do not already live here. In short, there are a lot of people who need work. Moving here, dealing with finding an apartment, etc is all very difficult, and lots of people never follow through successfully.

Most people I know moved to NYC first, then got a job. Many of these people stayed with friends in order to establish a NY residence for interviews.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:26 PM

62 posts, read 314,026 times
I will tell you what one of my recruiters told me. She said today is an employers market and if they think you're not local, chances are you may not get call backs.

If you have a friend or relative who lives in NY be certain to use their address. This may increase your chances of getting interviews. The only issue comes when you get several calls for interviews and you don't live there.

If you have family or friends there, you should at least stay for a few weeks just in case you get calls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search