Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2017, 12:01 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times

Advertisements

I have started receiving emails lately from recruiters saying they found my resume on a job board similar to monster, indeed, etc. I have never used this job board so I'm a bit concerned. I asked a few of the recruiters and one sent me screenshots that sure enough my updated resume in on there. I do not even have an account at the website associated with any email address I use.

I have been applying for many jobs lately but stick to applying on companies websites and linkedin. So it appears someone from one of these places lifted my resume and posted it for some reason. I tried emailing the website already but they said the resume is posted and there's nothing I can do to unpost it since I don't own the email associated with it.

Anyone ever have this happen or have any suggestions for getting it removed? I don't want it posted for many reasons. It could lead to problems at my current job. And what benefit would one get by posting my resume somewhere?

Last edited by Mr_Geek; 02-21-2017 at 12:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 01:06 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I have started receiving emails lately from recruiters saying they found my resume on a job board similar to monster, indeed, etc. I have never used this job board so I'm a bit concerned. I asked a few of the recruiters and one sent me screenshots that sure enough my updated resume in on there. I do not even have an account at the website associated with any email address I use.

I have been applying for many jobs lately but stick to applying on companies websites and linkedin. So it appears someone from one of these places lifted my resume and posted it for some reason. I tried emailing the website already but they said the resume is posted and there's nothing I can do to unpost it since I don't own the email associated with it.

Anyone ever have this happen or have any suggestions for getting it removed? I don't want it posted for many reasons. It could lead to problems at my current job. And what benefit would one get by posting my resume somewhere?
Just a couple of guesses:

1. Someone stole your resume to use for them self and forgot to change the name

2. Scam in progress, someone will contact you to pay for removal so that your current boss doesn't see it

3. One of your coworkers found a copy and submitted it in the hope of getting you fired when your boss sees it

Old 02-21-2017, 02:20 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,011,866 times
When you sign up for these "networking job services" you essentially gave permission for that resume to be shared. Sounds like someone shared it and it was reposted and will probably get reposted again and again by everyone who has a job board and need content. The laws only protect information within a companies systems. If you submitted a resume to a specific company in response to a job they have available, your information is protected by law. But, if you went and posted something on a board or a site on the internet, you gave up all rights to that information and it's now publicly available for public use.

I have received flack from many employees when I posted about the dangers of using the internet in an open fashion without checking the safeguards of that information. I often will get a resume from an applicant, I will submit it to our verification company and they may return 9 versions of that resume that was posted over the years and on various web sites and networking platforms. It's easy for me to see a person added a year or eliminated a job, or changed their duties when that person has posted previous version of their resume to the internet. Once again, you put it out there, it's fair game to be snatched and used. That resume will never disappear.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
When you sign up for these "networking job services" you essentially gave permission for that resume to be shared. Sounds like someone shared it and it was reposted and will probably get reposted again and again by everyone who has a job board and need content. The laws only protect information within a companies systems. If you submitted a resume to a specific company in response to a job they have available, your information is protected by law. But, if you went and posted something on a board or a site on the internet, you gave up all rights to that information and it's now publicly available for public use.

I have received flack from many employees when I posted about the dangers of using the internet in an open fashion without checking the safeguards of that information. I often will get a resume from an applicant, I will submit it to our verification company and they may return 9 versions of that resume that was posted over the years and on various web sites and networking platforms. It's easy for me to see a person added a year or eliminated a job, or changed their duties when that person has posted previous version of their resume to the internet. Once again, you put it out there, it's fair game to be snatched and used. That resume will never disappear.
I've never put it out there though. I only apply directly to companies' websites. The only site I use is LinkedIn and I just look for job postings then it directs me to their websites. Sounds like someone is breaking the law to me.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:20 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Quote:
I've never put it out there though. I only apply directly to companies' websites. The only site I use is LinkedIn and I just look for job postings then it directs me to their websites. Sounds like someone is breaking the law to me.
Are you aware of any law that forbids sharing a resume? I don't, in fact I asked one of our HR people and while we don't do it, there is no law or even expectation of privacy for the applicant's resume unless there is a written contract accompanying it. We would not sign one, but would reject the applicant, because such a restriction raises a red flag.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:27 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,011,866 times
Quote:
If you really want to pursue this, best to speak with an employment privacy attorney as every states has their own quirky laws.

In some states the information may be protected but only of an employee, not as an applicant. Other states prohibit the public release of certain personal information. They may have to redact your address, but can give out your email. They may be allowed to publish your home landline but not your cell number. Many states offer no protections under employment law but does under certain privacy statutes. So, if an issue, an attorney is the only way to go.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
If you really want to pursue this, best to speak with an employment privacy attorney as every states has their own quirky laws.

In some states the information may be protected but only of an employee, not as an applicant. Other states prohibit the public release of certain personal information. They may have to redact your address, but can give out your email. They may be allowed to publish your home landline but not your cell number. Many states offer no protections under employment law but does under certain privacy statutes. So, if an issue, an attorney is the only way to go.
Thanks for the info. I'm not sure what I am going to do (if anything) at this point. Luckily it's a small/regional website and not near as much traffic as the big ones. It just shocked me to see my info posted with my name, address, cell, and of course resume details. I am still trying to work with the website. They are at least replying to my concerns but as of this point they can't do anything.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:39 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,456,355 times
Just an FYI - there are several sites that pull resumes/data from LinkedIn with or without your permission.

Old 03-23-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Just an FYI - there are several sites that pull resumes/data from LinkedIn with or without your permission.
It definitely wasn't LinkedIn in my case. I have my profile posted but my resume is much different than my profile and this site had my resume exactly as I use it, formatting, design, and all. I hadn't sent my resume directly to anyone through LinkedIn.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:31 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,020,744 times
Quote:
It definitely wasn't LinkedIn in my case. I have my profile posted but my resume is much different than my profile and this site had my resume exactly as I use it, formatting, design, and all. I hadn't sent my resume directly to anyone through LinkedIn.
Start thinking and listing (for yourself) ALL the people who you did send that resume to. Obviously, it had to be one of them. Or did you maybe make copies at Staples or OfficeMax and forgot it on the scanner bed?

Are you SURE you didn't share it with a co-worker and ask them how it looked?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search