Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 10:03 PM

9 posts, read 14,442 times

Advertisements

I am currently interviewing with some different companies for a new job. My previous job I was at for only 5 months, and was let go prior to my 6 month probabtion ending. The reason I was given was that it was believed that I was not a "good fit with the position" and would likely find success else where. I had never recieved a performance review, any complaints, or any kind of write up ever. I was later told by somenone who still works there that they wanted to bring in someone else at a cheaper salary since they had to do budget cuts, and since i was the last hired, first fired. I qualified for unemployment since I was let go with no faullt which i am definitely grateful for, but i am still confused as to how i should phrase this in my upcoming job interviews as well as on job applications. Should i phrase it as "fired", "laid off"..or how should i explain it? Any advice is greatly appreciated! thanks

Last edited by Bo; 09-18-2009 at 10:25 PM.. Reason: Moved from San Antonio forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 10:38 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,746,125 times
Temp to perm but never went permanent. Happened to me too. But I was discriminated against; boss said "I was gay..." but I'm a straight crossdresser. Bad Karma went back to him and he isn't there either.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:00 AM

2,046 posts, read 5,588,373 times
Good post, I would say the same temp to perm...And if they ask I would not offer the "they said I wasnt a good fit". I would just say it just did not work out and I found it better to find other employment.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:24 AM

355 posts, read 1,375,317 times
How would they know youre a cross dresser at work?

Old 09-19-2009, 02:11 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,992 times
Definitely, Contract job, temporary only. Don't even mention the fact that you could have been a permanent employee. Just state, it was a temp job because you are a worker, and you like to keep your skills sharp, and your contacts active. Since you got UE, then you weren't "fired", you were laid off. So, go back to referencing it as a temp job only. They won't give you any other reference, especially if they are paying ue benefits.

Old 09-19-2009, 04:52 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,746,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfish View Post
How would they know youre a cross dresser at work?
People gossip too much and I bought too many womens clothes so the word spread around.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:01 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,969 times
Let's call a spade a spade: you weren't laid-off, you were fired, plain and simple. You cal call it "let go" if that sounds better. But if they canned you even before waiting for your 6 month review, then you definately ruffled someone's feathers, is my guess. As a former headhunter, I can tell you that when the phrase "you're not a good fit" is used it means they are being nice, and what they really mean is that you pissed off thw rong person(s). Think about it and my guess is you'll figure out who!
SO...as far as what to say in an interview: be honest. They'll find out anyway if they want.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:38 PM

9 posts, read 14,442 times
thanks everyone for the advice, i have thus far been putting, "position ended, looking for new opportunities" on job applications, but was unsure how to talk about it in interviews

Drummer Boy- i do think their is a distinction between someone who outright gets fired, especially for performance, and does not get unemployment, or is not eligible for rehire....considering i am neither, I do get unemployment and am eligible for rehire, that is why I asked the question in the first place and thinks it is important to note the distinction...anyway, thanks everyone for the advice

Old 09-21-2009, 04:13 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligal12345 View Post
thanks everyone for the advice, i have thus far been putting, "position ended, looking for new opportunities" on job applications, but was unsure how to talk about it in interviews

Drummer Boy- i do think their is a distinction between someone who outright gets fired, especially for performance, and does not get unemployment, or is not eligible for rehire....considering i am neither, I do get unemployment and am eligible for rehire, that is why I asked the question in the first place and thinks it is important to note the distinction...anyway, thanks everyone for the advice
Ohh, ok, now I get it. It's obvious from oyur last post that you are very young and new to the job market, since you sound very defensive and naive. I didn't get that from your first post, though I should have. So listen: fired is fired. Bottom line is that your past employer didn't want you working for them anymore so they terminated your employment even before waiting to do to during your probationary review. Quit minicing words; it will hurt you in an interview and you'll come across like someone with something to hide.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:29 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
I don't think the temp to perm comment is bad but employers still seem dubious. I was actually a temp who was supposed to go perm but either HR lied or there was never a position or they lost funding or ???

When I say I was temp and suppose to go perm but didn't, I get a lot of 'oh yeah' looks..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search