Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 07:36 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,911,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I heard employers can get special permission from facebook to see people's profiles.
I heard someone saw a yeti the other day too. Again, with the ignorance thing.

Even if an employer googles your name and a result pops up saying "soandso is on Facebook", if you click on that link, all you will see is a page that says, "soandso only allows restricted viewing of their profile. To send soandso a message, click here." That's it.

Contrary to popular belief, FB does actually have privacy protections. And no, FB doesn't violate those protections unless presented with a warrant, signed by a judge who has been presented with evidence that there is probable cause that the account holder has committed a crime and that the only evidence of such a crime is available only through Facebook. Even the FBI and CIA cannot hack into private business servers and accounts on a whim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 08:44 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,475,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
I heard someone saw a yeti the other day too. Again, with the ignorance thing.

Even if an employer googles your name and a result pops up saying "soandso is on Facebook", if you click on that link, all you will see is a page that says, "soandso only allows restricted viewing of their profile. To send soandso a message, click here." That's it.

Contrary to popular belief, FB does actually have privacy protections. And no, FB doesn't violate those protections unless presented with a warrant, signed by a judge who has been presented with evidence that there is probable cause that the account holder has committed a crime and that the only evidence of such a crime is available only through Facebook. Even the FBI and CIA cannot hack into private business servers and accounts on a whim.
This might not be true, but what I heard was if an employer has a friend that works for facebook, the friend might let them see people's profiles (since facebook workers probably have access to everyone's profile).

I know all about facebook's privacy protections.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:16 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
This might not be true, but what I heard was if an employer has a friend that works for facebook, the friend might let them see people's profiles (since facebook workers probably have access to everyone's profile).

Actually my guess is very much that you are wrong in that assumption. Only certain employees with a business need to see anyone and everyone's profile would be given access.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
You know about them because....'you heard' that someone could do something? I guess there are some people who just can't comprehend the difference between rumor and fact.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
You know about them because....'you heard' that someone could do something? I guess there are some people who just can't comprehend the difference between rumor and fact.
No. I know about them because when I try to see someone's profile and they're not my friend, I can't see it (unless their privacy settings allow me to see it). Yes, I am on facebook. If you think I was trying to say everyone can see everyone's profile, that's not what I was saying.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
If you think I was trying to say everyone can see everyone's profile, that's not what I was saying
No, what I'm saying is, the fact that 'you heard' something doesn't make it true.

For the scenario you describe to actually happen:

An employer would actually need to know someone who works for FB. Obviously the chances of this are pretty slim, since FB doesn't actually have that many employees, and they are all in one location (Palo Alto, CA). The chances of any random employer in any part of the country knowing someone who works for FB are so slim as to be statistically improbable.

Then, both the employer and the FB worker would need to have such low moral standards that they would be willing to violate an individual's account, and also be willing to face civil and possibly criminal charges (by both the user and FB) for doing so.

Next, that worker would need to be employed by FB in a job that actually allows them access to user's accounts. Most user account functions are actually automated; FB's employees are mostly involved in other functions like computer programming, web page design, and marketing and advertising sales. The number of people who actually have access to user account information can probably be counted on one hand.

Then, since for security purposes, access to user accounts would not be remote, the worker and the employer would both need to go to FB's HQ, the employer would need to obtain access not just to visitor areas but to secure data areas, and view the account all the while not having their activities noticed by any other employees or by security monitoring.

The whole scenario is laughable.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
No, what I'm saying is, the fact that 'you heard' something doesn't make it true.

For the scenario you describe to actually happen:

An employer would actually need to know someone who works for FB. Obviously the chances of this are pretty slim, since FB doesn't actually have that many employees, and they are all in one location (Palo Alto, CA). The chances of any random employer in any part of the country knowing someone who works for FB are so slim as to be statistically improbable.

Then, both the employer and the FB worker would need to have such low moral standards that they would be willing to violate an individual's account, and also be willing to face civil and possibly criminal charges (by both the user and FB) for doing so.

Next, that worker would need to be employed by FB in a job that actually allows them access to user's accounts. Most user account functions are actually automated; FB's employees are mostly involved in other functions like computer programming, web page design, and marketing and advertising sales. The number of people who actually have access to user account information can probably be counted on one hand.

Then, since for security purposes, access to user accounts would not be remote, the worker and the employer would both need to go to FB's HQ, the employer would need to obtain access not just to visitor areas but to secure data areas, and view the account all the while not having their activities noticed by any other employees or by security monitoring.

The whole scenario is laughable.
I find it laughable that you have a detailed description of what the facebook headquarters is like even though you've probably never been.

I don't think something is automatically true because I heard it. I just said that's what I heard; I don't know if it's true or not.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:58 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I find it laughable that you have a detailed description of what the facebook headquarters is like even though you've probably never been.

I don't think something is automatically true because I heard it. I just said that's what I heard; I don't know if it's true or not.
Having previously been employed by a company where I worked on pieces of their web site, I can tell you that I was not privvy to the intranet, extranet, and all other corporate functions other than any public facing pieces that were in production. I didn't have access to anything the public didn't, with the exception of the very specific items I worked on in the I/T department. It was set up so that a network engineer couldn't get into people's e-mail, nor could one of the e-mail guys get into one of the extranet servers.

Even if I did find loophole access to something I shouldn't be into, it was my obligation to let the I/T security know so that it could be remedied. And it certainly wasn't worth losing my job over to look at things I knew I shouldn't be looking at--and worse yet to allow someone else to also see that information.

In fact I found out that recently a confidential document was accidently left on a public server in that company and found by someone who instead of quietly notifying the owner of that document that it wasn't secure, spread the news of the documents existance around the company, and then people she had told told yet others. As a result, she (the finder, not the document owner) and several other people were fired.

My guess is that this is status quo in every major organization, especially those governed by SOX regulation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search