Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 02:56 PM

18 posts, read 158,558 times

Advertisements

Just curious as to what information is typically sought out in a background check?

I noticed a few that mention past employer verification and was wondering how that works? Do it check any government forms or databases to see if you really worked at a location? Does it check unemployment records?

Or do they simply call up your listed employers and ask "have you ever heard of this guy?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 03:49 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,328,220 times
They check DMV's...your driving record for any suspensions...or criminal record...

They also probablly check FBI, nation wide...criminal check...

The check credit agencies...

If your a driver, they check DAC....

They check everything....you basically have to be a 'angel' from heaven, now days, to get a job...

People who want to work, can't, cause employers are so obscessed with these background checks...

The also check if you owe child support....
They check to see if your on a homeland security terrorist list....on and on and on....

It's ridiculious...and they wonder why the unemployment rate is so high....

Old 03-02-2010, 08:09 PM

Wow that's quite intensive!

Do you know if they check your social security earnings? I guess they could see what years you worked and how much taxes you paid each year and then know what your salary was... that's if they can check that?

Old 03-02-2010, 09:16 PM

That I don't know, that might be a job specific search...say state or government job, vs private business job...

I just ran my own criminal check on myself this evening...and it came back totally clean...not a single mark...

But that's still not good enough for employers...how sad is that....

I mean just what do these companies or corporations want, your soul?

Anyways...back to your question...do what I did...and run checks on yourself...that way you can see what they see....

Old 03-02-2010, 09:36 PM

Nice, is there a thorough background check service that you can recommend. The more "cost effective" the better in these times but I realize it's also an investment in knowing what the employer will see.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:17 PM

If you want just a criminal check...than for instance...if you live in Nebraska...NDLE....Nebraska Department of Law Enforcement....
But it's only good for that state....and if you want to give yourself a 50 state criminal check...than call this number...well, I'll IM it to you...but the FBI does a nation wide check on you, not sure of the fee...

And basically if you want a credit check...type in 'credit check' on the internet...I think equenox is a good one...
Child support...not sure what catagory that falls under...

Social security check...go to their website and request a copy of all your activity...just go to the sorce of whatever it is your concerned about...

DMV...obviously go to the licence place or tax and title (whatever it is in your state), and have them print out your driving record, and so forth...

There may be small fees involved...but it's worth it, it will give you peace of mind...and allow you to straighten out anything that's out of order...

Old 03-03-2010, 12:35 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,912,531 times
There is no single source of background check information.

The FBI has a database called NICS, but most employers are not allowed to request reports from it. It is merely a database for sharing information between law enforcement agencies. An exception would be if you were applying for a job working directly with children or certain jobs working with large sums of money. If this is the case, the NICS record would only contain federal charges or convictions and a limited range of state charges and convictions. A plethora of state and local criminal records are not included in NICS.

Some employers may run a criminal background check with local or state law enforcement (or pay a third party to do so). Rarely do they request records for more than their own state or neighboring states. It is just too expensive and not likely to be productive. Furthermore, many states have laws prohibiting an employer from using anything less than a felony conviction against you in a hiring decision. Also many states have statutes of limitations on reporting records. In California for instance, seven years after a felony sentence is completed, that record can no longer be reported to anyone.

The Homeland Security Terrorist watchlist would be similar--certain employers would be able to request records, but not most, and it would be limited to what data is put into the database.

Yes, many check with credit agencies (although expect this to change soon--there is federal legislation pending as well as state legislation pending in many states which would prevent employers from obtaining such records except in rare cases, such as if you would be working with a lot of money or as a high-ranking civil servant). Federal and state laws already limit the use of some information such as bankruptcies.

Child support records would only be available if an applicant was in debt. In that case, the record might appear on credit reports and criminal records, if the employer checks those.

No, the Social Security Administration does not reveal an individual's annual earnings. They only verify names and SSNs.

No, the IRS does not confirm earnings. Individual tax records are considered private, protected by the 4th amendment, unless that individual is running for or elected to public office. In that case, it wouldn't be the IRS that provides the record, but the election board. Even if they wanted to provide such information, what would that be? "Wages salary and tips"? Or "Adjusted Gross Income"? A tax return contains so much more than just earnings that it would be too complicated for the IRS to decide what an employer is looking for.

Most employers obtain salary histories directly from past employers. While small companies may not be accustomed to it, most larger employers are accustomed to receiving incomplete or inaccurate information. Past employers do not always maintain accurate records and the person providing the information may not have access to the records they do have.

The DMV is obviously a state agency and every state is different. But most state laws limit what information an employer can check. Most states have request forms like http://www.nysdmv.com/forms/mv15.pdf this one from New York State. On this one you can see an employer has to decide which type of record they want and pay an additional fee for each record. Additionally they must justify the need for such a record. In New York State, the only justification for an employer obtaining such records are if the job entails the use of a commercial driver's license or for the mere verification of identity. And obviously the justification must match the records requested. For example when applying for a job as a fleet driver, an employer may be justified in requesting records of tickets, convictions, and suspensions, but they would not be justified in requesting records of registration and title of your private and personal vehicle.

Most employers pay third-party services to check these things. And, most employers don't check any of these sources, let alone all of them--data collected by the Society for Human Resource Management reveals that only about 50% of employers report that they run credit checks on some new hires.

To do more than this really requires a lot of effort on the part of an employer. There is no single source--this isn't quite the United States of Big Brother yet. Just look at the headlines to see how much of this data isn't coordinated--science professors turning into shooters and their employer having no idea of past crimes in other states. Would-be terrorists flying around the country because the state department didn't have information that homeland security did. Homeland security not knowing about someone's grievances against the IRS. Surely it is obvious that all of these various entities are not working together.

Last edited by kodaka; 03-03-2010 at 12:54 AM..

Old 03-03-2010, 12:38 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,066,081 times
And there's one background check that could be made that you'd be completely unaware of: an astrological chart.

I once had a client who was from India, where they use astrology to bring marriage partners together, who headed an advertising firm, who did that, secretly, with potential applicants. He had a lot of strongly Arian types working for him.

Myself, I use it on a smaller scale, to find suitable roommates in my house. Works beautifully.

If I were an employer, I would definitly look into it, beneficial to both the employee and employer.

Last edited by tijlover; 03-03-2010 at 12:39 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-03-2010, 12:55 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,912,531 times
Quote:
And there's one background check that could be made that you'd be completely unaware of: an astrological chart.

I once had a client who was from India, where they use astrology to bring marriage partners together, who headed an advertising firm, who did that, secretly, with potential applicants. He had a lot of strongly Arian types working for him.

Myself, I use it on a smaller scale, to find suitable roommates in my house. Works beautifully.

If I were an employer, I would definitly look into it, beneficial to both the employee and employer
Hahaha. That's great.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:07 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,049,604 times
For an outside source to do a background check on you, you must give your written permission as part of the application process.

These days it's usually a "criminal background check", "sexual predator check", "DMV" and "Homeland Security".
Some of these companies, also supply Employment Records on you. I think that Choice Point is the company that provides that information.

Some companies require a Credit Check as well. If that is done, they will provide you with a list of Credit Reporting Agencies and their 800 phone numbers so that you can request a free copy of your Credit Reports, as well.

You have the right to ask for a copy of all information provided -- free of charge to you.

They've recently passed a bill that was to prevent employers from doing Credit Checks. Does anyone know the status of that?

Last edited by World Citizen; 03-03-2010 at 09:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search